Dogs Get 3rd Degree Burns At A Canberra Groomers

Her Majesty Dogmad

What a frightening story ...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/dogs-left-with-thirddegree-burns-after-visits-to-groomer-20131101-2wrmm.html

A Canberra dog groomer says he is deeply sorry at least three dogs were burned by a dryer in his salons and has promised to repay thousands of dollars in vet fees to the owners.

The RSPCA has also confirmed it is investigating claims of dogs being burnt at two salons in Canberra with a view to possible neglect charges being laid against the groomer.

Lance Baker, the owner of Dog World in Hume and Animal Attraction in Macquarie, said the employee who was responsible for the injuries at Dog World was no longer working for the business. He was at a loss to explain the incident at Animal Attraction.

Miley the spoodle who suffered severe burns at the hands of a dog grooming company. This photo is taken during surgical treatment of the affected area.

Miley the spoodle who suffered severe burns at the hands of a dog grooming company. This photo is taken during surgical treatment of the affected area. Photo: Supplied

Mr Baker has described the injuries as "a terrible accident" and that the practice which led to the burns had stopped immediately.

Advertisement

"It was a terrible accident and I understand I'm liable. Of course, the worst person in the business would never deliberately or maliciously hurt an animal. It's just horrendous," he said.

However, The Canberra Times has been told that three dogs were burned at either Dog World or Animal Attraction across a seven-week period earlier this year.

Banks couple Jaid and Jenny Dawson said their five-year-old spoodle Miley suffered third-degree burns at Dog World on September 7 that appeared like she had "basically been put in a fan-forced oven". Her vet bills were at $10,000.

Red Hill woman Annabel Joske said her five-year-old cavoodle Theo also suffered burns at Dog World on September 3. His vet bills totalled $3000.

And Charnwood woman Nadine Morton said her five-year-old Maltese cross Boo suffered burns at Animal Attraction on July 27, with vet fees of $1700.

The owners have sought reimbursement of the fees from the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal, saying Mr Baker had ignored all their appeals for payment.

Mr Baker said he had been advised by his solicitor not to speak to his clients because of the legal action pending and the tribunal had given him until the end of the month to respond.

All the dogs were subdued and "not right" when they were picked up from the groomer. The burns were not immediately apparent until after the dogs had been taken to a vet and shaved and blackened skin was revealed. They required surgery and for the most part had to recover with painful, open wounds.

Mr Baker said the dogs were put in "drying cages" and an electrical blower blew hot air on to the dog.

"Now, what happened is we had a new person and they shoved the driers right up against the cage," he said.

He denied the dogs were in pain.

"I asked the girl that and she said 'No'," he said. "We'd used the cage dryers for just a few weeks and they'd never been an issue."

Mr Dawson, whose dog Miley has endured two operations and a plasma transfusion, said if the salons were already aware other dogs were injured, his dog should not have been subjected to the same treatment.

"We are mortified," Mr Dawson said.

Dr John Genvey, who helped to treat Miley at All Creatures Veterinary Centre in Calwell, said she suffered third-degree burns to 20 per cent of her body. The burnt skin was removed and she had to recover with an open wound as there was not enough skin to stitch together. He said the dog suffered terribly.

"I can honestly say we had her on some pretty big doses of opiate-related pain relievers and she was still in pain. In spite of giving her drugs that should take away most her ailment, it was not enough. She was in agony. You wouldn't wish it on anyone," he said.

Dr Genvey said the only other comparison he could make was the burns suffered in the 2003 bushfires by Lucky the koala.

"The reading we did with Miley's situation, the expert advice generally is if there are third degree burns to up to 50 per cent of the body, you really should be considering euthanasia. Miley wasn't that bad and is making a recovery thankfully but it wouldn't have taken too much more for her to be up around that," he said.

Miley is now undergoing physiotherapy to stretch her skin and she may require further surgery to release tension in the scar tissue.

Mrs Morton said she had been taking her dog to Animal Attraction for five years without complaint. She had immediately alerted the RSPCA and the ACT Office of Fair Trading and was horrified to discover other dogs were injured subsequently. She also found the salon owners had shown a "complete lack of responsibility and empathy".

"No animal should go through what they went through," she said.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of thing is so bad for all groomers.

I would never go to a groomer after all the horror stories I've heard.

I know there are brilliant groomers, a heap on this forum, but I'm just off on the whole idea now and know many others who are the same :(

Those poor dogs :(

Doesn't surprise me at all, I wouldn't let that man anywhere near an animal of mine

Interesting to hear that too, I haven't actually had any experience with him but Saxon was booked at one of those salons for his first ever groom as a puppy, I got there and they were adamant that I couldn't stay and watch while it was done, I just had a bad feeling so I decided not to go through with it. Ironically enough I then took him to the other salon without realizing it was the same owner, I checked when I booked that I could stay, and it all went fine (I did decide to groom him myself after that though so that was the only time he's been to the groomer).

(that happened 4-odd year ago so I'm just assuming current owner was the owner then. If not, disregard what I said above)

Those poor poor dogs. How terrible for them, they must be in such pain

"He denied the dogs were in pain."

I hope the RSPCA wins the prosecution, and something nasty happens to him. Maybe he will be in pain?

Frosty is great & no trouble at all!

I know it can never make up for the diabolical actions of the groomer involved in harming Miley, but many groomers from all over the country raised a lot of money to donate to Mileys cause. A personal visit was made to the family to meet Miley and pass on the donation. There was a genuine feeling of horror & dismay throughout the grooming community.

I was horrified when I first heard about it several weeks ago. Cage drying is all about dollars and not at all about dogs :(

Am I right in assuming that cage dryers are used so that the groomer is freed up to start working on another dog rather than spending the time required to dry the current dog manually - thus increasing turnover in the number of dogs that can be groomed in a particular timeframe?

The fact that 3 dogs (that we know of) have been injured at 2 establishments owned by the same person is telling, isn't it?

T.

Am I right in assuming that cage dryers are used so that the groomer is freed up to start working on another dog rather than spending the time required to dry the current dog manually - thus increasing turnover in the number of dogs that can be groomed in a particular timeframe?

T.

Yes spot on assumption. I have worked in a lot of places who did this (and did it responsibly) but I've not ever liked it or done it in my own business. I find it's a better dry (and then cut) when controlling how the coat is dried. I am assuming that these poor dogs were put in steel cages and then the dryer shoved right up next to the cage door. It would have been akin to putting the dogs in an oven. :cry:

I prefer clients not to stay, as the dogs are often more difficult to groom when their owners are present. It's very difficult especially to have sharp scissors around their eyes and the owner moving around behind you and the dogs quickly move so their eyes can follow them etc. The worst is when the owners think they're helping and talk to their dog which only works some dogs up more. They also do kissy noises and tell the dog 'good dog' in a high pitched tone which unsettles the dog. I like my grooms to be calm and relaxed. If clients are really adamant about staying then I let them, they usually get bored quickly though, lol and either leave or are happy to leave the dog next time. Sometimes it's good when they stay as they then realise exactly how much work is involved! But just because a groomer prefers you not to stay, it doesn't mean they are up to no good. Of course though, if you feel uneasy about it just don't leave your dog there. You wouldnt leave your kid somewhere where it didnt feel right so a dog should be no different. I got a lot of clients when I moved here, from a salon who wouldnt allow clients past the front door. It was all very secret squirrel to what it was like inside. They're good groomers and Im sure there was nothing untoward going on but people like to see where the dogs will be for the day ( which is understandable!) I have a few regulars who stay. If the owners are real 'doggy people' and very calm and switched on plus if the dog is a bit nervy then I actually find it helps. It just depends on the owner/dog.

Edited by Clyde

The fact that 3 dogs (that we know of) have been injured at 2 establishments owned by the same person is telling, isn't it?

T.

-

In this case your assumption would be correct.

Cage drying can be done in several ways, and for a couple of reasons. The very sad thing is that it can be an excellent method of assisting drying for very elderly or extremely nervous dogs when hand drying them is stressful, and that does not mean blasting them with a constant stream of hot air up close for a long period or at temperatures that are dangerous and leaving them there to cook.

If a dog is placed in an open cage and has air flow around it is possible to direct warm or room temp air around the dog whilst it is under the watchful eye of a responsible Groomer and minimise the time needed for table drying a stressed or elderly animal. Whilst good Groomers have various techniques for minimising the stress and easing animals through the grooming process there will always be a few animals do not cope well on the table, and we sometimes have to come up with ways of working around the animal

Like the awful Buddy tragedy this was the result of human negligence. These incidents were not because cage drying or table restraints were used, they were due to human negligence and apparent contempt for the welfare of animals in their care.

T.

-

In this case your assumption would be correct.

Cage drying can be done in several ways, and for a couple of reasons. The very sad thing is that it can be an excellent method of assisting drying for very elderly or extremely nervous dogs when hand drying them is stressful, and that does not mean blasting them with a constant stream of hot air up close for a long period or at temperatures that are dangerous and leaving them there to cook.

If a dog is placed in an open cage and has air flow around it is possible to direct warm or room temp air around the dog whilst it is under the watchful eye of a responsible Groomer and minimise the time needed for table drying a stressed or elderly animal. Whilst good Groomers have various techniques for minimising the stress and easing animals through the grooming process there will always be a few animals do not cope well on the table, and we sometimes have to come up with ways of working around the animal

Like the awful Buddy tragedy this was the result of human negligence. These incidents were not because cage drying or table restraints were used, they were due to human negligence and apparent contempt for the welfare of animals in their care.

Agree ...and until the industry is properly licensed and standard training practices and staff qualifications are legislated it will keep happening. Are there any current accredited courses groomers can undertake?

Nothing stops grubs being grubs, we have bad drivers on the roads all holding a legal drivers license. All the laws and regulations in the world are only good if individuals abide by them or they are able to be enforced adequately.