Boxer Dog With Only 2 Legs

flame ryder

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That is pretty amazing! Provided he can toilet ok and and whatever owner he ends up with is prepared for the challenges to come ( and that he may have a shortened life span) i'm ok with it, he looks pretty happy and is interacting well with the other dogs.

Dogs continually amaze me with how adaptable they are :)

Some dogs have that amazing zest for life... and don't realize that they are different at all.

Personally I couldn't take on a dog with Duncan's issues, but there will be someone out there who will do so happily.

I tend to wonder what sort of person would knowingly adopt a dog with extreme disability - so much so that when my foster girl with mobility issues was ready for adoption, I actually chose to adopt her myself... because I was completely aware of those issues and had been living with them for some months already.

Never underestimate the joy that a dog with disabilities can bring... but you also have to remember that when the novelty value wears off, you will still have a disabled dog.

T.

I'm disgusted that any breeder would allow a dog with that kind of physical disability to survive. The kind of people that adopt and keep these animals alive are not quite right in the head. They are generally used as poster dogs for rescues, fund raisers. But hey, we've saved a life and the dog is "happy" , never mind what it's been though or will go through.

I'm disgusted that any breeder would allow a dog with that kind of physical disability to survive. The kind of people that adopt and keep these animals alive are not quite right in the head. They are generally used as poster dogs for rescues, fund raisers. But hey, we've saved a life and the dog is "happy" , never mind what it's been though or will go through.

I totally agree with you. This dog should have been euthanised at birth.

Completely agree

I totally agree with you. This dog should have been euthanised at birth.

Times 3 or 4. That poor pup is going to go through hell as he gets older with all that weight bearing without back legs :( Just another example of the sadistic human race making a show case out of something that is deformed :mad If he was born in the wild he wouldn't have survived...that's just nature.

There was a mobility scooter mentioned, but I'm not sure how well something like that would go on a high energy breed like a boxer. I can see it getting caught up on stuff and doing more harm than good.

As a young dog/pup it seems to be doing very well atm, and seems happy, but yes it will be interesting to see how this dog copes as it ages.

Here you go Teela - I came across this video the other day and thought it relevant to post. Clearly a high energy dog with a mobility scooter. A little different scenario though because this dog was already older when it suffered an accident.

it will be interesting to see how this dog copes as it ages.

It shouldn't have to :(

Totally agree. I was wincing watching his spine flailing around like that :( Poor little mite should have been euthanised at birth. If this woman runs a rescue, surely the money spent on the pup would have helped so many other dogs :confused:

Looks like he has a cart and is adapting to it slowly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515483/Duncan-Lou-Who-Worlds-fastest-dog-legs-Duncan-Lou-gets-wheelchair-cart-friend-Ducky-around.html

it will be interesting to see how this dog copes as it ages.

It shouldn't have to :(

Totally agree. I was wincing watching his spine flailing around like that :( Poor little mite should have been euthanised at birth. If this woman runs a rescue, surely the money spent on the pup would have helped so many other dogs :confused:

Looks like he has a cart and is adapting to it slowly.

http://www.dailymail...cky-around.html

Least he has a cart

Sorry, but if I ever breed a dog like that, I would not be burdening welfare groups, rescues or owners with it.

Would it be easy to euth at birth for me? Absolutely not! But IMHO it would be the right thing to do. Amputating at such a young age - Nasty wounds, so many drugs, very sore puppy :mad ... and what sort of long term future :confused:

I doubt any ethical breeder would keep this poor guy going.

I agree with WW also.

I just personally have an issue believing humans that take this sort of job on completely ego free. Would they do it anonymously?

Bless his cotton sox. No dog deserves this. sure he seems happy... that's what dogs do.

Now that is seriously WRONG on so many levels...

When emotion over rules logic - disgraceful.

Aaahhh... but therein lies the rub... think how much the rescue can get in donations by parading Duncan about and posting his "progress" online...

My girl Pickles was on TV once as a part of a short doco about our rescue - but she played only a small role, and didn't get any more airtime than the other dogs we had filmed on the day. We could easily have focused on her mobility issues and how much we spent on her rehab, etc... but that just didn't sit right with our group - what was shown was her playing nicely with other dogs of all shapes and sizes, her friendly nature, and things like that... no focus on the fact that she walked funny or needed anything more than a normal home life and family of her own - just like every other rescue dog we had in our care.

I have taken Pickles out to Doggie Days, and every time she simply loved all of the attention she got - I just use that as an excuse to talk about rescue dogs in general, and how much joy they can bring to our lives. Focusing on the hard and gory stuff tends to put some people off the idea of rescue, and can reinforce the belief that rescue dogs are "damaged goods" - which just isn't true in the majority of cases. We don't wear any advertising material alerting anyone to the fact that she is a rescue either, just go to have a fun doggy day out.

T.

How dreadfully sad, and wrong. The terrible strain on this poor pups remaining legs must be great - and he also has "spine issues". Has no one stopped to think of his suffering? Some things are worse than dead. I am on a US boxer list, and there has been a lot of discussion on it about this pup, but there are no videos.

Just wrong. Poor pup, I could cry