Where Do You Bathe Your Dogs?

Guest hanko

Taz, the Malt x gets washed in the bathtub with a little rubber windy shower head from the $2 shop.

D, the GSD gets washed in the SIL grooming shop, he is too big for the bath and the water pressure wouldn't get thru his coat - also the HV dryer is a godsend. In summer after swimming in the river he may get a rinse out on the grass with the garden hose.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a bit mean - mine are done with the hose outside :laugh: Then they are put in the sun to dry before being brushed and allowed inside or to run around.

You're not the only meanie Kavik :laugh:

Mine 'pissbolt', to use the technical term, upstairs to hide on the couch anytime I go near the hose with dog washing on my mind :laugh: it would probably be easier!

Guest Maeby Fünke

After his shower I hold up the towel for my Pug and he throws his body at it, then he growls and squirms while I dry him, trying to bite me through the towel. Then he does zoomies all around the house. He gets very worked up and excited :laugh:

After his shower I hold up the towel for my Pug and he throws his body at it, then he growls and squirms while I dry him, trying to bite me through the towel. Then he does zoomies all around the house. He gets very worked up and excited :laugh:

Mine does this too! Just seeing the towel turns her feral and and manic and it's a drama to catch her to dry her because it's a game :rofl:

Guest Maeby Fünke

Mine does this too! Just seeing the towel turns her feral and and manic and it's a drama to catch her to dry her because it's a game :rofl:

The last time he had a shower he ended up rolling around on my bed, which I thought was fine and left him to it...but when I went back in the room and he had ripped up all the cushions.

I'm scared to own four Pugs (which is my dream) :rofl:

eta

He actually ripped them up and made a little bed out of them and was lying on top of it when I came in :laugh:

Edited by Maeby Fünke

i only have small dogs, and have a booter bath too :)

But i carry a bucket of hot water out as we don;t have a hot water tap near the hose...

Those baths that everyone has mentioned are great, i sometimes use them, if i don't feel like carrying a bucket out (lazy i know!)

Mine you just pay $10 for like 15 minutes or something like that, and it has a water setting, shampoo, conditioner and flea and tick rinse, then a blow dryer, but i usually just towel dry them :)

Guest hankodie

Have my own hydrobath. If he's really phobic about water though I'm not sure a hydrobath would be great because the pump does make a bit of noise and combined with water.... well....

He's a giant wuss so one way or another he's getting a bath :laugh: he scares very easily, he's runs and hides when I get out the hose to water the plants! But like I said, has no problems jumping in mud puddles when it suits him :laugh:

Same goes for jumping in and out of the car... whines and carries on to be lifted down when we get home, yet magically if we're going somewhere fun like the park he jumps off the seat the second I open the car door lol

I'm another with a Booster Bath. I have it outside hooked up to our outside shower, Mr BCC is a plumber so I am very fortunate ;) this works a treat for us. Both my guys swim in the ocean every day so it gets a work out. I rinse them off with warm water daily & final rinse them with Plush Puppy Seabreeze oil to help protect their coats from the elements & all of this with no bending down. Love it !

e's a giant wuss so one way or another he's getting a bath he scares very easily, he's runs and hides when I get out the hose to water the plants! But like I said, has no problems jumping in mud puddles when it suits him

Same goes for jumping in and out of the car... whines and carries on to be lifted down when we get home, yet magically if we're going somewhere fun like the park he jumps off the seat the second I open the car door lol

Sounds like he is doing fantastically with his training.... OF YOU!!! :thumbsup: LOL

Guest hankodie
e's a giant wuss so one way or another he's getting a bath he scares very easily, he's runs and hides when I get out the hose to water the plants! But like I said, has no problems jumping in mud puddles when it suits him

Sounds like he is doing fantastically with his training.... OF YOU!!! :thumbsup: LOL

LD it's not the first time I've heard that :laugh: I can't help it! It's those adorable big brown puppy eyes! :laugh:

I used to fit my big rotti girl in the shower with me. Just this morning I had my small white fluffy and whippet in for their shower and we all fitted in a standard old style small shower.

If you try the shower option for Hank, maybe have him in the bathroom on his mat when you're having a shower and get him used to the room. My whippet is not impressed with puddles or showers but he will go in the bathroom voluntarily...unless he sees me setting up for puppy showers...:). My border collie rarely has a bath, at seven years old she's probably had seven washes. She doesn't get smelly very often thankfully.

I use the DIY dog wash at our local car wash or pet supply store, locations can be found here http://findadogwash.com/ $10 for 10mins, includes shampoo but I like to use my own. The dryer is no where near as good as a proper one but it gets a bit of the wet off.

I mainly use it because it is a raised tub which is easy for the dogs to get in and out of and easy to manouvre the dogs inside it as it is quite large. It has a tether point so that they can't escape too.

depending on weather,

I will use the hose, (he doesnt like to be hosed with the nozzle on ??? Hates the noise ??? ) So i take it off, then wash, then long massage, rinse off and towel dry then he gets to lax in sun.

Or warm water in buckets with icecream container for rinsing, sometimes standing in his clam pool.

Or as a treat, 20 min away a groomer has a self wash area with the big tubs, with warm water and then a blow dry afterwards.

Mine all walk in the shower when told. We have a hose instead of a fixed shower head so that helps. When I'm done washing I get out and shut the door, then give the shake-off command, that way the whole room doesn't get covered in water and hair.. Then I open the door and ambush them with the towel (they tend to try and head straight for the door). After towel-drying they all get blow-dried (on the cool setting so they don't accidentally overheat) then have to stay lying down on their towel in the bathroom, or on their bed near the fire if it's cold, until they are dry. No running around inside.

Oh well this is how it goes for everyone but the Maremma.. He hasn't had a bath yet and does not come inside. Everyone else got used to the routine quickly.

Only my Weimaraner really gets washed regularly because she gets dirty when we go hunting, everyone else only really gets a bath if they roll in something really potent (like fresh horse poo!)

Mine all walk in the shower when told. We have a hose instead of a fixed shower head so that helps. When I'm done washing I get out and shut the door, then give the shake-off command, that way the whole room doesn't get covered in water and hair.. Then I open the door and ambush them with the towel (they tend to try and head straight for the door). After towel-drying they all get blow-dried (on the cool setting so they don't accidentally overheat) then have to stay lying down on their towel in the bathroom, or on their bed near the fire if it's cold, until they are dry. No running around inside.

Oh well this is how it goes for everyone but the Maremma.. He hasn't had a bath yet and does not come inside. Everyone else got used to the routine quickly.

Only my Weimaraner really gets washed regularly because she gets dirty when we go hunting, everyone else only really gets a bath if they roll in something really potent (like fresh horse poo!)

I have to ask, how did you teach the lying down until you are dry part? Nova goes NUTS after he is bathed, mostly involving rubbing agains't every surface he can find, I generally get him to calm down by holding out a towel and he comes to rub on it, then lays down when he realises towel = big drying cuddles.

Edited by LisaCC