Dogs On Seats

tarope

If the seats are fabric I don't think it's appropriate. Fabric seats covered in diarrhea?! No thanks.

Plastic chairs, I don't have a problem with it.

I have nursed and it's a busy, busy job, so maybe they are trying to cut down on the cleaning, they should be consistent though, yes.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious to those who think it is ok?

Do you let your dogs jump on furniture of people you are visiting?

I don't think dogs should be on seats in public places for all reasons mentioned here

fur, skin infections, parvo, ect!

Dogs should not be peeing on stuff inside either, that is just plain bad owner!

Dog should be sitting at your feet, (on your lap for smaller dogs) Not at leads end wondering up to whom ever should walk past.

It annoys the crap out of me to see a dog shedding, licking it's ass or worse a excited male with his penis out of it's sheath dragging all over the seat!!!!!! or a female is season or with leakage/discharge sick2.gif

For frig sake yes it's the nurses job but she may not be ablt to get to cleaning the seat after a dog sat on before the next human does. Kids often go to the vets too, the usually have to place their hands on the seat to climb up, then where does that hand go!!!!! in their mouths againsick2.gif

Seriously curiosity and manners just don't exist anymore.

Presumably your pet is some sort of pristine creature that exists only in a bubble.

I don't think dogs should be on seats in public places for all reasons mentioned here

Dog should be sitting at your feet, (on your lap for smaller dogs) Not at leads end wondering up to whom ever should walk past.

It annoys the crap out of me to see a dog shedding, licking it's ass or worse a excited male with his penis out of it's sheath dragging all over the seat!!!!!! or a female is season or with leakage/discharge sick2.gif

For frig sake yes it's the nurses job but she may not be ablt to get to cleaning the seat after a dog sat on before the next human does. Kids often go to the vets too, the usually have to place their hands on the seat to climb up, then where does that hand go!!!!! in their mouths againsick2.gif

Presumably your pet is some sort of pristine creature that exists only in a bubble.

No I am just polite enough not to have my animals jumping all over furniture meant for humans in a place other than my own, what sort of comment is that anyway!

And Altho I have never taken my kids to a vet, if I did they would sit quietly and not touch other people animals unless they asked.

However I have had my goldie there (at my feet) waiting for a Dna sample to be taken, and there was a person with 2 dogs on the seat one looked like it had mites and the other a excited male layin on it's gut. Anyway they go into the treatment room and a lady with her german shep pup come in and a 3 yr old child she heads to the counter and asked the little to go sit, she races over and before I had a chance to say not that seat she planted her hands and climbed up, and because i started to talk to her she got shy and put her hands in her mouth!!!!!

The mother came over and looked at me and I told her what was on the seat 3 minutes before her daughter, Her asked me to hold her dog while she demanded the nurse take her at the back to clean her daughters hands with disinfectant!

Which I would have done too it was down right disgusting.

No i don't think some should have different treatment to others but that would mean no dog, clean behaved, dirty or sick should be on a seat.

Edited by Angeluca

A dog's paws will have more dirt, germs and yucky stuff on them than it's penis. When they sit on the floor (or a chair) their anal area generally makes some contact. Kids touch the floor, people put bags on the floor then later on the kitchen bench. Fact is people will come into contact with animal germs and bodily elements at a vet clinic, whether the dogs are on the floor, the chairs or the front counter :shrug:

What's polite and considerate is a different issue and a subjective one, but the germ argument for not having dogs on chairs doesn't really make sense.

ETA - once when he was young one of my dogs peed on a shelf in a pet shop (where dogs are welcome) much to my surprise! I told the staff, wiped it up and bought the bird toy that was of no use to me but that he'd got pee on...what a bad owner I must be :(

Edited by Simply Grand

Guest donatella

Believe me you and your children are subjected to more vile germs on everyday things such as bathroom doors and shopping elevator rails :laugh:

No I don't take my dogs to other peoples houses unless expressly invited, they stay home. If the seats were material I woudln't allow them on them - although material seats in a vet is a contamination control nightmare! If I do take my dogs to others houses they are crated unless I am told they can be otherwise.

If my bitch was in season or discharging no I would not put her on a seat, I am afraid I can't do anything about an aroused dog with it's penis sticking out of it's shealth, but I don't have many issues with my boys doing that.

If my dogs are on seats they have to sit quietly just like they do when they are on the floor. Sometimes they sit on my knee, sometimes they stand on the floor. I was greeted by someone I knew outside the vet clinic who allowed her dog to come up to mine before I could stop it, I pulled him away and then she proceeded to tell me the dog was in becasue it had caught fox mange - now that pissed me off, nothing to do with having the dog on a seat though..............

No I am just polite enough not to have my animals jumping all over furniture meant for humans in a place other than my own, what sort of comment is that anyway!

And Altho I have never taken my kids to a vet, if I did they would sit quietly and not touch other people animals unless they asked.

However I have had my goldie there (at my feet) waiting for a Dna sample to be taken, and there was a person with 2 dogs on the seat one looked like it had mites and the other a excited male layin on it's gut. Anyway they go into the treatment room and a lady with her german shep pup come in and a 3 yr old child she heads to the counter and asked the little to go sit, she races over and before I had a chance to say not that seat she planted her hands and climbed up, and because i started to talk to her she got shy and put her hands in her mouth!!!!!

The mother came over and looked at me and I told her what was on the seat 3 minutes before her daughter, Her asked me to hold her dog while she demanded the nurse take her at the back to clean her daughters hands with disinfectant!

No i don't think some should have different treatment to others but that would mean no dog, clean behaved, dirty or sick should be on a seat.

You and your children would be subjected to far worse germs than are on a dog in a vet surgery. And goodness me, one of your complaints is that dogs shed! Good grief.

You and your children would be subjected to far worse germs than are on a dog in a vet surgery. And goodness me, one of your complaints is that dogs shed! Good grief.

Good to see you back Sheridan :laugh:

Actually I get peed off when I see dogs on seats, I don't want to sit on a chair a dog has just sat on!

chairs are for people, not dogs.

my dogs sit at my feet at the vets, but I often see dogs on laps and on chairs, many snarling and growling as I walk past with the stupid owner molly coddling them. :mad

ditto!

Try puting yourself in the position of a tiny frightened dog on the floor of a scary vet around large dogs and strange people's feet, I hardly think picking them up is mollycoddling, in actual fact leaving them on the floor feeling exposed and vulnerable is quite cruel.

I don't take my dogs to other people's houses unless they have the same rules my dogs are used to, I also don't allow non dog people into my house.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Try puting yourself in the position of a tiny frightened dog on the floor of a scary vet around large dogs and strange people's feet, I hardly think picking them up is mollycoddling, in actual fact leaving them on the floor feeling exposed and vulnerable is quite cruel.

I don't take my dogs to other people's houses unless they have the same rules my dogs are used to, I also don't allow non dog people into my house.

This!!!!

As you serious...it's the vets not someone's home. It's the staffs job to keep the place clean...not the client and as for kids they should be kept under control just like the dogs.

As for Courtesy and manners...it should apply to the staff first as it's also part of their job...but you wouldn't think so with one or two staff who like to play God with people. What's happening next..frisking people at the door in case they have sharp objects in their pockets that might damage the seats. :mad :mad :mad

LOL..a few dog germs are probably potentially less damaging than what is found in/on shopping trolleys /playgrounds/library books!!!

yes- dogs & cats are on the furniture here... the friends with whom I am most comfortable have couches decorated with a dog/cat .

At a vets .. I place my dog wherever it is comfortable/safe

..and , for the record .. a lot of dogs 'let it all hang out', without being sexually aroused . Some dogs just have it happen when they sit and relax!

I used the word "mollycoddle" in regards to owners whose dogs are growling and snarling at my non reactive dog,whilst the owner pats and cuddles them telling them its ok the nasty looking dog won't hurt them. :mad

I have no problem with dogs on laps if it makes them feel more secure.

However my point is its not my property ,so I treat it with respect, and I will say again, germs have nothing to do with it, I don't want to sit on dog hair.

LOL..a few dog germs are probably potentially less damaging than what is found in/on shopping trolleys /playgrounds/library books!!!

Not to mention toilet seats and take away food. A few years ago I went to the butcher in the shopping centre...as I was waiting to be served I looked down and saw two blowflies walking across the meat (maybe they were shopping too) anyway my turn came and I said "do you realize blowflies are on the meat" and the girl just brushed them away and said what would you like...to which I said "nothing now" and walked away...then rang the health department. Dogs on furniture here too. :thumbsup:

I have no issue with dogs on seats if the practice allows it. I also have no issue with being told my dog can't sit on a seat. I go to the vets that I believe give my dogs the best medical care, not the ones with the sweetest vet nurses or receptionists.

I get more annoyed about dogs peeing on everything and worst, owners that don't tell you.

Oh, hang on...no...the shitting in the pathways or lawn area and not picking it up...or telling staff about it. :mad One of the biggest vectors for passing on disease.

As far as dogs on seats? Meh. I'd prefer that than dogs on the counter, sticking their noses in the dogs treats and licking them. Followed by owners who then won't buy them becasue their dog 'doesn't like them'.

What is it with people that pick up treats, shove them in the dogs face let them lick them and then put them back? Or do people do this with human children too?