How To Dispose Of [yecch!] Pulled Ticks?

sandgrubber

If you remove a tick from your dog, what do you do with it? I throw them in the toilet and flush. I remember reading somewhere that this was bad, but can't remember why. I have a septic tank, and I can't imagine they breed in septic tanks. The idea of putting them in a jar of alcohol or something grosses me out. Burning them seems sadistic, and it's a bother to do.

How do you do with this problem?

I just squash them then flick them. If they have a lot on them & I am having a whole "tick" session, then I will get a cup with a little metho in the bottom then pull them off & drop them into the metho...a lot quicker than squashing them if there are a lot.

I flush em, or if pulling several(we have a LOT of ticks around here, 45 ticks on a single dog during tick season is not uncommon, we do not however have tick borne diseases so its more gross then dangerous) I keep a big cup of water filled with dish soap and dump em in the cup, and when done dump the whole thing down the toilet.

When my cat when through period of picking them up back in the UK, I would have a cotton wool pad soaked in surgical spirit, pop them on top and set light to the pad like a little funeral pyre. You would get a very satisfying small 'pop' as one each met its end :D