Does Anyone Use One Of Those Auto Insect Spray Units?

kelpiecuddles

OK so i'll preface this by saying that I am generally speaking opposed to using lots of chemicals in my house, I basically don't use anything that requires me to wear rubber gloves BUT these flies are driving me insane. No matter how well the house is kept closed they get in, any time one of the kids goes through the door mainly I suspect. Problems are threefold, firstly they are simply driving me insane flying on my face, etc, second they land on food when we are trying to cook and eat - I'm a bushwalker from way back and I don't object to them then but that's their habitat this is MINE!, lastly they are leaving little fly poos all over my walls and ceiling which is not only gross but is going to take me a lot of time to clean up.

So it's go to the point I'm now considering one of those auto units that you put on the wall to go in the main living area of the house(which is also where the door that they mostly come in via is and where they mostly hang out), so I'm wondering whether anyone has used one and whether they actually work? As it is I'm spraying flyspray around a couple of times a day to get rid of them anyway but as soon as it disperses more come in the next time the door opens. :mad

I'm pretty sure I read those chemical dispensers have caused illness in a dog or dogs.

I used to have a shocking problem with flies - lived in this house for 14 years. Flies were horrendous.

Next door's 80 kilo dog died a couple of months ago - apparently they never or rarely picked up the poop.

Strangely enough, I am not having a problem this summer. I was like you, couldn't open the door without letting some in, couldn't go in the garden without getting bombarded by them, it has made me so miserable for years.

I wanted to move house because of it, neighbouring blocks didn't seem to have the same problem and I constantly pick up after my dogs so I had the Water Board out, called the council, an environmental company and so on. Noone could find anything wrong or passed me on.

I was going to plant fly repelling plants around the door after doing some research as I can't afford to move.

Last year I bought Neem Oil and sprayed that around the doorways and it seemed to help.

Do some research on the internet. I also tried the fly traps outside - they filled within a few days and emptying them made me gag so much ... I also bought these things you stick on the windows that kill flies that land on them.

I'm not sure if the last two things attracted the flies more, it certainly seemed to ...

Edited by dogmad

I have used them in the kennels and house since they became available.

I live Queensland and the insects can be horrendous for people and the dogs. (dont forget heart worm and the mossies and we have insects that can come through fly wire.)

I would switch them off in the morning and start them about dusk. Now days you can purchase more sophisticated models with timers built in.

I bred the bitches to the dogs and never had a problem with anything so all I can say is that if they are for use in the house with babies and people there is no reason for not using them with the dogs. Just my findings. :)

Sorry forgot to say that before these became available I used Mozzie coils everywhere. I would rather use the spray than the mozzie coils because the fire danger and to me the mozzie coils stink. lol

Edited by oakway

I use the auto sprays in our back room which is an inside/outside area with shade cloth for about 70com at the top of the walls, and they work well.

The spray disperses as there is plenty of airflow, and not many flies at all event though we BBQ out there and have a pizza oven, and usually eat out there in the summer.

Edited by Flashsmum

Get the good, old fashioned, fly zappers. They work well during the day, and once you turn the lights out at night they will lure and kill whatever is left inside.

We also use the sprayers, but only in confined isolated areas that are prone to flies/ moths/ mozzies.

Love them, warning - don't use them really up high, the top cupboards are about 18 inches off the roof, we thought it was a great place to put it, turns out not so much, there is now a dirty mark about half a foot in diameter right above where the spray comes out.

I too don't see the problem with using them as they are targeted to mums with babies.

They (the ones I've used) also have three settings for how often you want it to spray.

Edited by shapeshifter

Can't answer directly but I can't help thinking that no matter how natural, if it kills, then there's toxin. I don't trust the idea of them.

Couple of things I have done that made a huge difference (not to suggest the first thing listed looks great) :

1. I tacked up an old rubber backed curtain to a door that I generally keep open when I'm home, so my dog can go in and out at will. It did two things - it vastly reduced the number of flies to my home and it helps to keep the cool in/heat out - or vice versa in cold weather.

2. I use the bench spray you can get from the supermarket - it's natural based and includes peppermint oil (I have grant benches, so it works well with them). This discourages flies and other insects and I tend to find that in addition to the curtain idea, this helps that bit more.

Disadvantage to curtain? Don't close the door without pulling the curtain back as for those on the outside (humans and dogs inclusive), they can't easily tell the door is shut and it's like walking into a brick wall.

Just an idea that may or may not suit you.

We've had one for ages near the kitchen / dining but I was still getting attacked by mozzies in another room so now have a second one pointing across the room to the window. The fly death toll has jumped up amazingly and so far its kept the mozzies at bay too.

You can turn them off and on if you only wanted the area protected in the afternoon or evening not all day.

Edited by rubiton

I used to use them with excellent results. Flies would come in, next time I'd see them they would be belly-up somewhere near a window. Then Bella got cancer. She was my tough as nails, never a sick day in her life dog fighting for her life. That's when it occured to me that those sprays are designed to KILL things. If a fly can die after one or two sprays, what was it doing to my animals who were in the house all day? Maybe the spray had nothing to do with it but I switched it off and have never used it again.

I swopped over to those smelly fly traps outdoors and caught hundreds of them. I had to replenish it because there was no space for the new flies to land. At night I switch on a zapper for the mozzies which also works really well.