One If My Dogs Has Been Hospitalised

Rascalmyshadow

I recently posted about my neighbours puppy dying in front of me on Australia Day, now it looks like Astro my pom x chi has caught whatever their dog had, the vets aren't sure if its viral or bacterial.

He spent all day on a drip yesterday, they pumped him full if fluids, pain relief, antibiotics and anti nausea meds, we took him home last night but he went downhill and is now back on a drip.

I have a horrible gut feeling he's not going to pull through, our little chihuahua his best friend is upset, she always refuses a walk unless he's with her.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no ...... :( I am so ,so sorry . I hope all the supportive treatment helps ....

It may be late - but din't you say your OH helped bury the pup? Bleach/ F10/ discard any shoes/tools used ..same for Astro's bowls/bedding /toilet area if you can .

many thoughts sent ... :hug::flower:

My husband buried the pup and I hadlex her everything happened so quick I didn't think about it until later, I did wash my hand etc but never thought about the rest. We might have just put all of our dogs at risk.

Apparently the vet I used to work at lost a pup last week with the same symptoms and apparently there was an article in the mornington local paper about dogs dying from bacterial/viral infections lately but it's not our paper so I haven't read it

How worrying. There's all these weird diseases now, I've never heard of something like this happening, dogs used to be so hardy, as a kid we'd vaccinate against distemper and tetanus and I think that was it. :( I hope they can work out what he's got and get him well again.

Thank you all it is confirmed parvovirus but the symptoms are not exactly the same as usually seen. The vets think he will pull though as long as we keep up the care

Wishing him all the best that he pulls through with your prompt care. Can I ask how old he is and when he was last vaccinated. I've heard of vaccinated dogs contracting parvo before and it frightens me. To think that heartless man next door let his puppy die a slow death without any veterinary support makes me sick.