Oh Magical Crate

Leah82

As the dogs will be trained in different things this year (Sarah agility and Collie tracking) I decided it was time to get a crate, that way both dogs can always come along to training and we can keep the non participant in the crate.

Crate was delivered yesterday, I set it up easy enough, put the dog's day beds inside and proceeded to throw a couple of toys and a handful of devon bits in the crate.

Collie was very happy to go inside and make himself comfortable and to our surprise he immediately decided he didn't need to follow us around the house (and yes the door was open)

I was cooking dinner and I didn't have a Cocker Spaniel under my feet, it was incredible.

OH insisted I was imagining things until I got him to leave the room, Collie stood up, stuck his head out the crate door but stayed put :thumbsup:

It's amazing that such a small thing can make a massive change so quickly.

What magical thing does your crate do?

What magical thing does your crate do?

Stops my young Whippet from harassing the other dogs at meal and treat time - he rushes to the crate and stays there. The door is closed at meal times but he chooses to take his treats there to eat.

He also tends to take his "treasures" there which makes missing objects easier to find.

Our dogs all like to have a private place to go, especially when we have visitors or when there is a lot of activity in the house for some reason. Some dogs can get quite distressed if they have no spot that they feel is "safe" and "their" spot. Nobody is allowed to interact with a dog at our house who is in his safe spot. If the dog wants to talk to you he will come to you (obviously Oh or I are allowed to approach a dog if necessary but we avoid this and prefer to call the dogs to us if we want them for any reason)

My magic crate puts my puppy to sleep - and that is truly magical as she is a very busy little miss. I love that crate :hug:

eta: my other magic crate catches kelpies - there always seems to be one in there.

Edited by superminty

Crates are great if you stay some where overnight. They make the dogs feel heaps more settled. Like a security blankie I guess.

Mine in their magic crates.

23kui6q.jpg

Yes!! I never even really crate trained Saxon and he didn't sleep in one as a puppy (hmm, actually he's never slept in one overnight) but several times when I've stayed in dog friendly accom/friend's house between houses, where they didn't want them left inside unaccompanied I've set him up in the (large) crate and he' s been quite happy hanging out there staying out of trouble while I went out for a few hours and couldn't take him with me :thumbsup:

Aside from that, the usual keeping a puppy contained overnight so they can't wee and poo everywhere or keep everyone awake all night trying to play.

The magical crate here makes my slightyl food agro dog go and rush to her crate when treats come out. She won't eat a meal outside her crate, but will eat small quick treats like liver. Anything that needs more than a few seconds to eat gets taken to her crate.

8440051417_53a50a2825.jpgPhoto 1 - 2013-02-03 by -clover_elvis-

Terrible things these crates.

Edited by Clover

Crates are great if you stay some where overnight. They make the dogs feel heaps more settled. Like a security blankie I guess.

Ours will be staying at the inlaws when we go on our honeymoon for two weeks. Not sure MIL will be too keen on having a crate taking up room though

Plus it would mainly be for Sarah (as Collie lived there for a couple of years) and she doesn't like the crate yet.

Hate crating & never used to have any but someone left me some large 4 x 3 foot ones when I bought this house & I admit they do come in handy.

I use them once a week for the dogs when they have their bones. They would kill each other over them so 30 mins to an hour with their own bone in the crate solves that problem.

As I breed cats too & it gets too hot at this time of year for them to be in their runs they each have a large crate set up as their place & when it gets to extreme heat they can come inside in the air con & relax & sleep instead of entire males & females causing havoc running loose around the house :eek:

3 or 4 of them joined up makes a long run of 12 to 16 feet long for kittens to play in the lounge when they are too small to be let loose as well.

Although I would never confine an animal for long or use them for confined house training they do help. Years ago they weren't popular or used much at all & we did manage fine.

What a lovely thread. :D

JulesP, I'm the same - their soft crates are the first things to get taken into any dog-friendly accommodation we stay in. Mind you, poor Rory was a tad worried one evening when the resident cat at one of our regular places, decided that the top of Rory's crate made a perfect napping spot - my poor boy wasn't sure he was allowed in - but was so tired, he got brave. I have a lovely photo on my phone of the soft crate - still with open dorr, with a sleeping dog inside and a sleeping cat on the top. :rofl:

And soft crates are magic in that a 21kg BC boy can fit into a Cavalier sized crate (admittedly a reasonably roomy one) with room to spare .. entirely his own initiative - and curled up asleep in there with the door open .... must have been a Tardis crate!

My dogs are well used to "cats in residence" Tassie - Ziggy wanted to hang out with me in the bedroom this morning but just wouldn't settle....turned out Dizzy was in his crate so I had to get Em on my bed so Zig could have hers. Very funny.

When my dogs have chicken frames for dinner they are fed one at a time outside. Em has been doing crate games on and off so I think this is why she has started to dash into the open crate and sit at the back when Zig is given his frame first....maybe the magical crate will produce her dinner sooner rather than later!