Little Dogs At The Beach.

Purdie

When i picture dogs at the beach i envisage medium / large size breeds frolicking in the water.

How do small breeds; Short legged; and Giant breeds go at the beach.?

Do they also swim or just like to dip a paw in the water.?

Would little breeds be safe in the water if they where knocked over by a wave ?

Can short legged breeds swim well.

Oh and would love to see pic's of your dogs at the beach .....Cheers

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We see a lot of small dogs at the beach when we go, mostly toy poodles and jack russells. They seem to enjoy a play and a swim but the beach we go to is quite flat, not much in the way of waves at all. My kelpie swims in circles like a fish, my basset will go up to her chest and stops, I'm told many bassets can swim but she certainly doesn't have the confidence.

I'll have to dig out some pix of a visit to the beach at Newport. At the time I had a tiny little black and white Papillon x Chihuahua - he had the best time. Then we met on the beach a black and white Great Dane. Bit of a contrast :eek:

I used to have a little dog who would run at the ripples and try to bite them, squealing with joy. She used to do the same with water from the hose which I'd flick from side to side. She loved it.

Dogs are dogs no matter what their size. Same as little dogs will hoe into the biggest bone with great gusto.

My mum's mini schnauzers LOVE the beach! Where we live, going to the beach with your dog seems to be a requirement lol. Our lab is nearly 13 and I think her water-loving ways have helped introduce the little ones to the water. Just the other day when I walked with them, my dad went out into the waves for a dip as it was so hot, and he had to come back in because the schnauzers were just going to keep following him! They were trying to jump over the waves but are just a little too short to go out too far. They also love frolicking in the creek that runs into the beach, not too deep though as the tide can be quite strong.

Depends on the beach I guess, my two love to go, one just likes to get his toes wet and chase his ball, the other will happily follow us in, at one beach where we go fishing we keep an eye on her because the waves can be strong.

The doggie beaches I've been to have been bay beaches and have been pretty shallow so little dogs are fine. I don't see that many medium/big dogs just swimming around anyway. There is mainly lots of splashing action! Mine just stand in the sea or Poppy will have a bit of a lay down. Both my borders are pretty little btw.

Rye beach

f1l08j.jpg

Blairgowrie

24v2xkm.jpg

Just standing around!

2lnakww.jpg

My samoyeds are fantastic swimmers, even with their big coats and the boys aren't worried about going in to swim among the waves

The Havanese haven't been to the beach yet but my parti boy loves water and will climb in the wading pool. He'll be at the beach this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing how he likes it.

post-24000-0-00629200-1392102783_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bjelkier

My two pugs love the water, but only go in up to their belly and not in huge waves. One of them barks at, and bites, waves, and the other just runs away from them but doesn't mind being caught.

This is one of my fave pics of your two playing silly buggers at Katdogs' BBQ last year - this weekend is the anniversary of that awesome event by the way...

Boston is being cool about the whole thing - only to be completely photo-bombed by Max doing her flying pug impersonation... lol!

16-02-2013-gibsons-bbq157.jpg

T.

Giants at the beach??

613d4b7aaa885fdec29893fefeeaedb7_zpsbb79c712.jpg

(Funnily enough my dog has been more adventurous in waves!)

But shallows are more fun for zooming in!

e1959f6ec970d1bee31aaf35651a803c_zps25c70309.jpg

5da5ea9175b12bf3f673dff5c7ee69da_zpsa03c9147.jpg

Happy to chase sticks etc but only while his feet can touch the bottom. Which is better than when he initially went to the beach and would paddle only - he's got more confident with other dogs who will swim.

And when they can't touch the bottom, despite how close the stick might be, this is the reaction...

eab35c9b820dea571b2b7cd64f45351e_zps8a1952e5.jpg

But occasionally it's amusing when they forget to pay attention to waves and get dunked!

9c1372e125af0f2cc1131f5805e1fdaf_zps752631e8.jpg

For my boy the best bit of the beach is all the sand to zoom around on.

My two pugs love the water, but only go in up to their belly and not in huge waves. One of them barks at, and bites, waves, and the other just runs away from them but doesn't mind being caught.

This is one of my fave pics of your two playing silly buggers at Katdogs' BBQ last year - this weekend is the anniversary of that awesome event by the way...

Boston is being cool about the whole thing - only to be completely photo-bombed by Max doing her flying pug impersonation... lol!

16-02-2013-gibsons-bbq157.jpg

T.

:coffeesplurk:

Best photo ever :D

My laptop wallpaper is the one of Sammy divebombing Max, he's in a mid-air leap with all 4 legs spread out in each direction and shes got a "uh oh, this is gonna hurt" look on her face having just landed in the water from another direction (by the look of the wave behind her) :rofl:

Our little dogs love the water. Jaz (3.5kg) tries to leap over the waves to retrieve her toy, ending up waterlogged and very much like a drowned rat most of the time but doesn't hesitate to go straight back in. Brooks (5kg) will hold her ground as the waves pass, then swim out until the next wave, where she waits for it to pass again. Definitely no fear out of either of them when it comes to the beach, but living with 9 border collies doesn't leave them with a lot of choice :laugh:

Here are some photo collage things from a years ago, most of the shots are from the beach.

12451996575_585df46367.jpg

12451964575_0e2aa077fa.jpg

12453022363_03317036c3.jpg

12453339164_7a3089f420.jpg