Intentional Onion Poisoning?

dididog

I have heard plenty of stories of angry neighbours chucking broken glass, rat poison or baited meat over the fence to kill your dog but have you ever heard of someone using onions? I only ask because while on poop patrol I found an onion in my yard.... now I live in the innercity and onions obviously dont grow on trees so the only reasonable conclusion I could come to was it had been tossed over.

I could understand if it was an apple core or banana skin, just some idiot chucking rubbish over the fence but our yard backs on to a small obscure alleway and is solid 8ft colourbond fencing so not really a prime candidate for chucking rubbish in as you walk by and who walks by with onions anyway. I really dont want to entertain the idea that it was deliberate but when you think about it, its a much less conspicuous form of poisoning a dog than say glass or rat poison.

Didi barks occasionally but no more than any other dog on our street (and some of them are horrid) she only barks when someone walks through the lane which is rare and ignores other dogs barking so I dont see why anyone would want to poison her...

I dont want to worry about it too much but its really bugging me as to WHY there was a random onion in my yard, especially especially since its common knowledge how harmful they are to dogs :/

Have you heard of someones dog being intentionally poisoned this way? Am I being silly?

It may be common knowledge on DOL that onions can be harmful to dogs, but to be honest, I don't think it's widely known in the community. Plus I think that the ill-effects happen when onion is ingested over a period of time. One onion probably isn't a big worry. I'd put it down to yobs throwing food rather than anything malicious. :)

it a whole onion or had it been damaged? Random things dropped in yards can sometimes be the work of birds.

Or weird neighbours :o Once I kept finding random tomatoes in my backyard until I found out my neighbour would throw them to the dogs, you know, so they would eat them..... (say wha?)

I know how you feel. I live next to a lane way and we used to get everything thrown over. Packets of chewing gum, rubbish. Kids walk in the alley way and bash on the fence causing me dogs to bark a GSD and a Ridgeback. Got complaints from council about excessive barking between 8 and 9am in the morning. This is when kids go to school, asked council to police this as it is there laneway and was told nothing they can do and we have to stop it or e will be fined. So know they live inside in the mornings and my wife comes home (works for the council)and lets them out after lunch and im home by 3pm.

The investigating officer commented that she peered through a gap in the side gate and the dogs barked at her aggressively. Duuurrr what are they meant to do. I said if they policed the laneway I wouldn't need 2 large dogs to protect my property as before we got the dogs I caught 2 people in our back yard. But they wont close it as the kids will have to walk a extra 20metres to go around.

Cockatoos, I've watched them chew up a set of garden lights and then each fly off with one. I had to explain to my neighbours that I wasn't throwing my destroyed string of light bulbs in their gardens!

I thought my neighbours were trying to poison my dogs once with bread rolls. Turns out that someone in the suburb was feeding the birds and they'd stop off to eat their roll in my big trees. They obviously didn't like rolls very much, were full or just plain clumsy as my dogs got a feed every afternoon at 4pm.

Once I thought the annoying kids in the neighbourhood were throwing half eaten oranges over my fence. Turns out someone near by has an orange tree and the (giant f*cking scary) bats were getting them, sitting in my tree eating them, and would drop them :rofl:

Random things dropped in yards can sometimes be the work of birds.

This was my immediate thought, too. Other wild life rummage through compost heaps as well. I often find banana skins, avocado skins, etc scattered around the back fence near my compost heaps. Makes me happy as I know the creatures have been having a good time :D

We dont have much in the way of wild life around here unless you count those pesky indian myner birds which have made a nest in our roof. I think an onion would weigh the same as one of them so I doubt they could bring it into our yard.

I doubt a dog would eat a raw onion anyway. Even my dogs who eat almost anything wouldn't touch one.

Monte did. My husband was cutting an onion one night when preparing dinner and one half of it flew off the cutting board onto the floor. He went to retrieve it but Monte beat him to it.

I waited for Monte to spit it put in disgust but he didn't. :laugh:

I doubt a dog would eat a raw onion anyway. Even my dogs who eat almost anything wouldn't touch one.

+1

As a kid I used to tease my mother's Labrador, who would eat most anything, by tossing her things I thought she wouldn't like. No one told me onions were poisonous to dogs. The dog wanted nothing to do with onions . . . one of the few things she wouldn't even catch, much less gnaw on.

We dont have much in the way of wild life around here unless you count those pesky indian myner birds which have made a nest in our roof. I think an onion would weigh the same as one of them so I doubt they could bring it into our yard.

If you're near the city you probably have bats, and bats do crazy shit.

I didn't know before coming on here that onion and garlic could be dangerous. All the dogs we had ate leftovers full of both.

I am now so scared I won't even use a knife or board that's had onion or garlic on it that day to chop up his food. :rofl:

We have bats and cockatoos around and they drop fruit and random crap in our yard too.

I didn't know before coming on here that onion and garlic could be dangerous. All the dogs we had ate leftovers full of both.

I am now so scared I won't even use a knife or board that's had onion or garlic on it that day to chop up his food. :rofl:

That is really taking things to extreme. In fact garlic is considered a good additive to dog food.

So much bumpf is put out these days about all sorts of diets for people and dogs. Leftovers are never going to hurt anyone or any dog.

Do some research and take what you read with a hefty serving of salt - figuratively speaking, of course :D :D

I really dont like leaving her outside when nobody's home, I worry about all sorts of bad things (we have a lot of break ins in our area), people trying to poison her, her barking a lot and neighbours getting mad or those stupid myner birds attacking her while she eats her bones. The only thing I dont worry about is her getting stolen since it would be virtually impossible to get her out of the yard (no gates).

I think she'd be fine inside most days but mum wont let her... suppose I just need to stop being a worry wart ^.^