Starving Great Dane Covered In Sores

samoyedman

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/west/great-dane-found-starving-and-covered-in-sores-on-streets-of-st-marys/story-fngr8i5s-1226864197363

THE Animal Welfare League is calling on the public to help find the owners of a starving and sore-riddled great dane who has been discovered wandering the streets of St Marys.

The gentle giant was found by Penrith Council rangers wandering around Kurrajong Rd on Monday, March 24, and has been taken by welfare league officers to its shelter at Kemps Creek for treatment.

A welfare league spokesman said its believed the dog has been abandoned by his owner and left to die.

“We get a lot of dogs in poor condition, but with this guy, he’s quite distinctive,” AWL Inspector Ian Hughes said.

“He’s quite a big dog; the neighbours would probably recognise him.

But this is just out-and-out cruelty; it’s clear to any normal person that the dog’s been mistreated, that the dog’s been like this for some time.

When discovered, the great dane was so malnourished his bones were clearly visible through his skin.

“He’s got next to no fur, he’s covered in scabs and sores, he’s got infections between his toenails ... it just gives you an idea of how thin he is; he needs to grow back into that skin,” Mr Hughes said.

The dog, described as “very, very gentle,” is also suffering severely from an infestation of demodex, a tiny mite that affects dogs.

“What we’re trying to do is ... find out who he belongs to,” Mr Hughes said.

He added that the dog is unlikely to be a stray and may have been abandoned by his owner.

“He’s going to take a lot of care to get him into any good condition ... He’ll get the very best care that we can provide,” he said.

“Hopefully someone comes forward, then we can find him another home, but that’s a long way off, a very long way off.”

CAN YOU HELP?

If you have information, contact 8899-3333 or email [email protected]

The great dane is being treated with several medications and some hearty meals, and the spokesman is confident that he will make a full recovery.

“We suspect he’s young; he could be five (or) four,” he said.

“He’s not an old dog, because his teeth would be bad. His teeth are in very good condition.”

AWL is also attempting to raise $65,000 to strengthen its emergency vet care to help other animals in similar straits.

To find out more about the “Animals are not rubbish” appeal, visit awlnsw.com.au/autumn-appeal-2014.

Edited by samoyedman

:eek::cry: poor big gentle fella.... :(

Never ceases to horrify me just how bloody cruel & non caring some people can be. Shocking!!!

He looks like he has been suffering for a very long time. Covered in what looks like mange. So under weight.

I hope this gorgeous bloke can make a healthy recovery & find the loving home he so deserves.

Guest Wildthing

Words fail me to describe how I feel and what I think. My heart goes out to him and I hope he makes a full recovery before being adopted to the most wonderful home.

Disgusting, poor chap, I hope he can make a full recovery and find decent and committed owners who will love him for the rest of his days.

As for his former owners, I hope they are found and taken to court, ending with a just punishment, they should at least be banned from every owning a living thing again. I wouldn't give them a plant.

It looks like it has mange.

Yes, the article says he has demodex.

Poor dog. Not the first and he won't be the last with demodex that hasn't been treated.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest Wildthing

He's very lucky the rspca don't have him.

In some ways yes. However, if the RSPCA tried to find the owner and prosecute, they need the dog as evidence, so he would be spared initially. Can't say what would long term if previous owners were not found.

Can this please be moved to the anise section ?

The anise section? What section is that?

Please enlighten me.

I think Megan means the abuse section.

Poor bloody dog :mad

Ah right, the abuse section.

I hope they find the owners of that dog and prosecute. Those people deserve to be charged with gross animal cruelty and should never be allowed to own another animal.

Can this please be moved to the anise section ?

The anise section? What section is that?

Please enlighten me.

If megan used an iphone or similar, auto-correct migth have changed that to anise, instead of abuse.

:mad

Yep I think we figured that out. Damn auto correct.