Treating Fleas In A Dog With Ivermectin Sensitivity

I've been madly googling and pretty much going around in circles.

We have a sheltie who we've had since a pup. She's been tested and is sensitive to ivermectin. We also have a foster sheltie who we don't know how sensitive she is to it. So I am going to treat her the same way as our girl.

Last night I found a live flea on the foster dog, and alot of flea dirt on ours.

I've used sentinel spectrum and had no problems with it. I got some to treat them both, but it says it doesn't kill live fleas.

Does anyone know any products that are safe to use, that will kill any live fleas on them. Tomorrow I'll be in a cleaning frenzy washing dogs, beds, blankets etc.

Thanks in advance.

Fleas are poop

Fleas are.

We just recently had a huge breakout of fleas.

So we flea bombed, did what seemed like hundreds of loads of washing, and capstared all our animals.

Such a pain.

The dogs are flea free, the cats still bring them in now. So a few more days of captsar for them. And we need to find a product that works on the cats prevention..

There are some natural deterrents as well. Garlic is one. There's a lemon based spray that can be used on bedding etc. Check with Steve (DOL Member) as she knows a fair bit in the natural range (knows a fair bit about lots, in point of actual fact, lol :thumbsup: ).

The natural side of things won't likely to be effective on its own if there is a big flea problem, but it can help in maintenance and if the flea population is not huge, may be all you need rather than needing to use the chemical based flea treatments, especially as your dog is sensitive.

There are some natural deterrents as well. Garlic is one. There's a lemon based spray that can be used on bedding etc. Check with Steve (DOL Member) as she knows a fair bit in the natural range (knows a fair bit about lots, in point of actual fact, lol :thumbsup: ).

The natural side of things won't likely to be effective on its own if there is a big flea problem, but it can help in maintenance and if the flea population is not huge, may be all you need rather than needing to use the chemical based flea treatments, especially as your dog is sensitive.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there was anything natural I could use. I'll send Steve a message and see what she recommends.

I've got sentinal spectrum here for both of them, I've used that on Georgia before with no problems. But it doesn't kill live fleas, hence my question. I was just thinking I should pick up a flea comb and just give them both a thorough wash and them comb them through. Hopefully if they don't have many I can get rid of the live ones that way. But if I find that they are really infested, I'll need another product that kills live ones. My girl has the biggest coat ever, so combing all the way through is going to be a big job.

So thats my plan for today, plus washing all the bedding, cleaning, vacuuming etc. I guess once I know how bad it is, I'll go from there.

I'm treating Bonnie, the foster, the same way as my sensitive dog, because I just don't know if she is sensitive to it or not, so its safer to assume she is.

Wouldn't Advantage be fine? It is imidacloprid not ivermectin.

This. I don't know anyone who uses ivermec to treat fleas and can't think of any spot on treats that contain it (Advocate does contain moxidectin but that is supposed to be reasonable safe for dogs with the mutated MDR1 gene).

Treat your home & spray all your grounds with Coopex or similar product from fodder store then wash your dogs in some Martha Gardeners Wool Wash diluted & go through them with a flea comb after. Dab some on cotton wool & wipe inside the ears in case any fleas crawl in there when you shampoo. Repeat the next day.

I have used this on really young dumped kittens & puppies as I was worried about strong chemicals on them.

You can also rub some fennel on them afterwards. Flea deterrent, wont kill them but makes them smell nice.

Edited by Christina

Advantage or advocate have been tested on a very small amount of MDR1 positive dogs with no side effects as long as given correctly dose to weight. Revolution is the same as long as given only in the dose rate advised.... higher doses or more than every month application (ie. for dogs with demodex mites) is not safe for MDR1 dogs. Also make sure your dog has absolutely no chance of licking the application site as oral ingestion is much more toxic.