How To Stop Scratching At Door?

Beckie15

Hi Everyone,

Well, this is the end of day 2 of Poppy in our house - she is a 16mo Chihuahua that we adopted from my grandmother whose health was failing.

Poppy has settled right in and is behaving beautifully and is very obediant. However, we are still confining her to the kitchen at night. The problem is she is scratching at the door (no visible damage... yet... But we're renting at the moment so don't want any damage!) and it is really annoying and definitely behaviour we want to stop.

Any tips on how to strongly discourage this behaviour? I realise she doesn't want to be left by herself in the kitchen at night, but it is only her 2nd night here and even though she hasn't had an accident inside, we don't want her having the run of the house unsupervised just yet. She has her bed and lots of toys etc. so she's not bored. And she is getting heaps of exercise.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Bec

put her in your room :) In her bed ....with a couple of towels near your door in case she really needs to go _ poor little girl .... She is more likely to toilet when she is stressed ..being alone and confused and scratching etc may lead to accidents - then it is a difficult thing to stop.

Its freezing at night. Let her sleep with you. Problem solved :)

No idea otherwise , all my doors are scratched. I thought of glueing sandpaper to them once so I won't have to trim nails :laugh: My house so I don't care.

Yes, in your room, she's so tiny poor little mite - so cold in VIC right now, especially for a tiny dog - I'm presuming she's got a coat on? The door scratching is distress so you need to solve the problem.

Get a crate from Petbarn or similar, you only need a small one and you can fill with blankets and make her very cosy - one of my dogs doesn't want to come out in the morning (he's the only one in the crate), he's so toasty and comfy.

You can also put a pet heat disk in there for extra warmth (purchase from ebay).

Chis are not a breed to like to be separated in this way and/or she's probably really cold, perhaps she won't be right for your household and might be best to let her go to someone who likes the breeds and their ways.

I get up in the night, every night and toilet any new fosters or one of my very elderly dogs who needs help. Once foster dogs are used to the household routine, I rarely have to take them out and a 16 month old should be able to hold on.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Chis are not a breed to like to be separated in this way and/or she's probably really cold, perhaps she won't be right for your household and might be best to let her go to someone who likes the breeds and their ways.

Whoah that's a bit drastic :eek:

I took a guess the dog may be cold & all dogs love sleeping in your bed but we don't know that she didn't have a ton of bedding, heat pad or heating on really.

Some dogs scratch doors instead of barking for what they want, annoying habit not distress although I think in this case 2 days in a new home the dog wants out to find home & would probably do the same thing no matter where she was initially.

Bec asked for help, she doesn't dislike the dog.

Yes, in your room, she's so tiny poor little mite - so cold in VIC right now, especially for a tiny dog - I'm presuming she's got a coat on? The door scratching is distress so you need to solve the problem.

Get a crate from Petbarn or similar, you only need a small one and you can fill with blankets and make her very cosy - one of my dogs doesn't want to come out in the morning (he's the only one in the crate), he's so toasty and comfy.

You can also put a pet heat disk in there for extra warmth (purchase from ebay).

I get up in the night, every night and toilet any new fosters or one of my very elderly dogs who needs help. Once foster dogs are used to the household routine, I rarely have to take them out and a 16 month old should be able to hold on.

it is only two days in ..and Poppy is obviously a bit confused & dealing with the change - so are bec & family .Early days yet ..compromises to be found ,but certainly not a time to call for rehoming .

Its freezing at night. Let her sleep with you. Problem solved :)

No idea otherwise , all my doors are scratched. I thought of glueing sandpaper to them once so I won't have to trim nails :laugh: My house so I don't care.

This made me LOL Christina :laugh: our front, bedroom and kitchen doors all have scratch marks!

Re the new little one, have her in your room, problem solved.

What was her life like before? Where did she sleep? Where did she go if nobody was home? She has already had a major upheaval so you may need to keep as many constants for her as you can for now until she settles in. On the flip side though, you will confuse her immensely if you allow her to do stuff now and then in a week's time decide she can't do it any more. You need to find a midway point :) Dogs are pretty accommodating, you just need to be consistent and fair to them.

What is the end goal for you? Will she sleep in the kitchen all night every night? If so, then you need to persist with it and make sure she is really warm etc. Nothing wrong with that, I have 1 that sleeps in the garage while the other 10 sleep in the beds. She is happier out there, can play with her toys all night long without being told to shut up, and doesn't have to worry about the movements of everyone else.

If she will eventually be sleeping with you anyway, why not start now? Make accommodations if need be until you trust her but by 16 months she shouldn't be waking up to toilet through the night. If she is, either look at one of those indoor toilets or get up and take her out through the night.

Thanks everyone.

She has her blanket and bed, a hot water bottle and there is a heater in the room so I doubt she is cold. Lonely, however, is most likely the case. And she got herself pretty stressed last night poor thing :-(

I think I'm down to a crate or a baby gate... Opinions?

Thanks!

I was going to suggest a baby gate but if she is tiny, she may squeeze through it.

It's only been a few days. She'll most likely settle. It used to take my rescues up to two weeks or so to really understand the new routine and arrangements. Help her settle by putting up a baby gate. I find that because they can see though it they don't get as stressed as what they do in a closed room.

Edited by ~Anne~

Is there any reason why she can't be crated and sleep in your room?

Find out from your Grandmother what Poppy's living conditions were and do your best to provide the same conditions for this little dog. She's probably missing your Grandmother and is stressed out by being in a new home.

She's lonely and probably confused. Get a little soft crate, nice soft blankets to burrow in, and put it in your room off the floor (it's cold down there)..a nice coat and she will be fine. Don't think she will toilet inside, take her for a pee before bed and wait with her.

Can uou get a piece of your Grans clothing, an old tshirt or something to pop in the dogs bed? It's comforting to have a familiar smell.

If you will always be renting then i would crate train for night times makes life easier .

Two days is nothing & some dogs will try anything so as we all now its a fine line between a new routine & not allowing the dog to get away with things .

She is young enough to adjust see at present just meet in the middle but setting her up for how she will live with you ,its less confusing on the day than to keep changing & changing .

My frineds breed Chi's & there not idiots but they do win the academy award for dramatics so providing the Chi is warm & cosy i wouldn't pander to much but i would say the kitchen is lonely at night & a big space so i would if mine crate at night in my room & set up a sleeping pattern

I have 4 chis. They definitely feel the cold, so a crate with a good thick mattress (the best one I have and most favoured by the dogs, is a baby's bassinet mattress) and some fleece blankets is a good start. Then put a blanket over the whole crate (to create a cave-like effect, and keep out draughts). Then add a snugglesafe heat pad (hot water bottles get cold after 4-6 hours, snugglesafe pads are warm for 8-12 hours).

Leave the crate open during the day, so she can come and go, but shut the door at night. NB. Follow the crate training advice to be found on this site, to get her to the point where you can do this.

Decide where the crate is going to be, and stick to it (your bedroom, living room, kitchen????)

Crate training is so useful for and makes it much easier for the dog to cope with things like vet stays, holidays, visits from scary people / kids, moving to a new house etc etc. I highly recommend it.

Or you can just give in now and let her into the bed with you :laugh: They can be very determined to get their own way!

Hi Everyone,

Well, Poppy has been with us a week tomorrow and has settled in amazingly well! She is settled at night now as well - putting in a baby gate rather than closing the door made the difference. No crying or anything, no little accidents and sleeping happily in her bed next to the heater.

Today, however, I did come back to her after being out for only an hour and she has scratched out a section of the door frame... Not sure why. Probably hyperactive as she hadn't had her morning walk yet...

Anyway, this should be easy to fix but I was just wondering when fixing, are there brands of non-toxic wood putty that would be better to use than just any old wood putty? The putty will be painted over...

Thanks!

Bec & Poppy