Which Breeds Do You Wish Were In Australia?

Kavik

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of a hairy whippet.

There were rough coated ones until the 1930's.

post-19844-0-58272900-1410676234_thumb.jpg

It's like a tiny deerhound after a bad haircut :love:

You'd think the wire coat would be easy enough to breed back in given how many terriers of a similar size carry the gene.

Friends of mine have just imported the first Estrela Mountain Dog into the country :) he's lovely.

Actually there was one in the country 3 years ago that ended up in a pound then a lady in NZ got him so he went there :)

--Lhok

I don't know for sure that they are not in Australia, but I sure didn't see any when I lived there . . . that's the American hounds, various breeds . . . Treeing Walker Coon Hound, redbone, blue tic. I like this group. Often stubborn, but sociable, hearty, agile, and easy going. Would do well in the heat.

I don't know for sure that they are not in Australia, but I sure didn't see any when I lived there . . . that's the American hounds, various breeds . . . Treeing Walker Coon Hound, redbone, blue tic. I like this group. Often stubborn, but sociable, hearty, agile, and easy going. Would do well in the heat.

There was a Blue Tic Coonhound in SA probably 15 years ago now. Not sure what happened with him.

There was a Blue Tic Coonhound in SA probably 15 years ago now. Not sure what happened with him.

There is a breeder in Queensland.

:)

There 'may' be a Pyr Shep in Aus by next year. Shhhhhh!

And I bet she already has a waiting list a mile long :laugh:

Didn't someone import a Pyr a few years back??

I heard through the grapevine that someone did import a Pry a while ago, with the intention of starting a breeding program and getting them recognised etc but the dog then developed some health issues and the program was halted.

This new Pyr adventure looks to be exciting - can't wait to meet it!

There was one here in the ACT too.

I know of two people considering bringing the Black and Tan Coonhound in. They are already in NZ.

The Redbones look great - big dog with a big voice for the 'burbs though :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

There was one here in the ACT too.

I know of two people considering bringing the Black and Tan Coonhound in. They are already in NZ.

The Redbones look great - big dog with a big voice for the 'burbs though :(

Haha yes! One day at a show years ago in SA I certainly heard the Blue Tick before I saw it!

I spent the night with a family interstate one quite a few years back that had a Blue Tick Coonhound and an Otterhound. I fell for the Otterhound <3 I don't believe there are any in Oz now?

Friends of mine have just imported the first Estrela Mountain Dog into the country :) he's lovely.

Actually there was one in the country 3 years ago that ended up in a pound then a lady in NZ got him so he went there :)

--Lhok

Why would someone go through all the costs of importing a dog only to have it ending up in a pound? That just seems so bizarre to me. :(

--Lhok

Why would someone go through all the costs of importing a dog only to have it ending up in a pound? That just seems so bizarre to me. :(

He came over with his family which had kids, the dad wanted the dog the wife didn't and he also didn't cope with the perth heat. They shaved him down and his coat came back a nightmare and then he ended up in the pound from what I have been told.

--Lhok

I heard through the grapevine that someone did import a Pry a while ago, with the intention of starting a breeding program and getting them recognised etc but the dog then developed some health issues and the program was halted.

That Pyr now lives in NZ. And is desexed. Think there are 4 in total in NZ. I know at least 2 of the entire ones are related.

The Aus import is a male. (He's VERY cute!)

I'm so looking forward to meeting him too. I'm sure he will be happily shown off! :D show ring, agility, herding and flyball, depending on his preferences. so everyone should be able have a gander! :p

That Pyr now lives in NZ. And is desexed. Think there are 4 in total in NZ. I know at least 2 of the entire ones are related.

The Aus import is a male. (He's VERY cute!)

I'm so looking forward to meeting him too. I'm sure he will be happily shown off! :D show ring, agility, herding and flyball, depending on his preferences. so everyone should be able have a gander! :p

Oh, I was wondering what happened to her. Thank you. :)