Which Breeds Do You Wish Were In Australia?

Kavik

Oh my gosh, always said I'd love a borzoi if they were a bit smaller, book me in for a windhound!

The Silken Windhound is just gorgeous, a whippet with hair, who knew :D

They've got a little way to go to stabilise type yet. The best ones do look like smaller Borzoi. However some just look like mutts. There is some Shetland Sheepdog or other herding breed in the mix too as they can get CEA and MDR1. They can also be Ivermectin sensitive.

They did use lurchers in the mix and they often have BC blood so who knows. So much for hybrid vigour!! These dogs have a range of genetic issues established sighthound breeds simply don't get. However there does appear good breeder awareness and testing for this.

I'm sure they'll get there. My remaining question is temperament. Whippets and Borzoi don't have greatly similar temperaments IMO and heaven knows what the addition of herding breed blood has brought to the party. I actually wonder how like Whippets they are in temperament. Someone after a "long coated Whippet" or "smaller Borzoi" might not get that at all really. Most sighthound owners I know wouldn't be happy with a herding breed like temperament.

However, if I could get one like this I'd be happy! (but with more spring of pastern lol)

Silken_Windhound_Nobble_Stack_F.jpg

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love a lurcher, not a recognized breed though I don't think?

With plenty of stag mix's in the country pounds that will be my next dog.

Nope, just a type. They do have shows for them in the UK though. Whippet/BC seems to be quite a popular mix.

Frankly from a breed welfare perspective, I hope lurchers and Windhounds don't create a lot of demand for Whippet mixes. Last thing Whippets need from a welfare or quality perspective need is the 'for profit' breeders after them.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I quite like English Shepherds. An American breed that sort of looks like a cross between a Aussie & border collie. Lots of them seem to be sable or tri. A US herding instructor thought Amber was one!

http://strongwindfar...albumid=3485469

Wow they do look like a bc cross aussie! Gorgeous

I wonder which breed the temp is closer too.

I've seen a few online fights with American's telling people "If you want an Aussie with a tail buy an English Shepherd".

Oh my gosh, always said I'd love a borzoi if they were a bit smaller, book me in for a windhound!

The Silken Windhound is just gorgeous, a whippet with hair, who knew :D

They've got a little way to go to stabilise type yet. The best ones do look like smaller Borzoi. However some just look like mutts. There is some Shetland Sheepdog or other herding breed in the mix too as they can get CEA and MDR1. They can also be Ivermectin sensitive.

They did use lurchers in the mix and they often have BC blood so who knows. So much for hybrid vigour!! These dogs have a range of genetic issues established sighthound breeds simply don't get. However there does appear good breeder awareness and testing for this.

I'm sure they'll get there. My remaining question is temperament. Whippets and Borzoi don't have greatly similar temperaments IMO and heaven knows what the addition of herding breed blood has brought to the party. I actually wonder how like Whippets they are in temperament. Someone after a "long coated Whippet" or "smaller Borzoi" might not get that at all really. Most sighthound owners I know wouldn't be happy with a herding breed like temperament.

However, if I could get one like this I'd be happy! (but with more spring of pastern lol)

This is what puts me off the breed. I love the idea of a coated sighthound (especially down here in Tasmania where we have to rug the dogs so heavily and for so much of the year) but I'm not keen on on the Sheltie temperament and when combined with whippet, I think it'd be a very busy and possibly barky dog. The possibly of the dog carrying the mutated MDR1 gene is also a negative. I honestly can't understand why they felt the need to include Sheltie when there was the MDR1 issue anyway and the very different "type" of temperament. Such a shame because I love the idea of a hairy whippet.

But anyways..

I'd shank my mother for one of these.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hortaya_borzaya or one of these.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampur_Greyhound I'd also take a Magyar agár in a pinch :D

There are a handful of these dogs here.

Yep, I nearly got out of the Melbourne Royal with one.....

But I'm such an obedient spouse, I did not.

Daddy would have had hysterics if I turned up without telling him of the arrival of a dog.

Bad enough now trying to increase numbers.

:laugh: