What Would You Do?

Blackdogs

What would you do?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you:

• Euth without question, it's what the owner wants.
    • Discuss behavour/rehoming - euth if does not agree
    • Discuss behaviour/rehoming - refuse to euth

When I was a child I remember hearing things like once a dog gets the taste of blood it's never the same, and images were conjured of a rabid dog that would then want to attack humans.

Obviously I know better now but in this situation I imagine education is the key, it doesn't sound like these owners would have received much of that if they allowed a sight hound puppy the chance to harm a small prey animal.

Sarah managed to catch a young possum awhile ago, I was pretty shocked as I thought all prey drive had been driven out of her ages ago but I would never have considered euth. Also the possum was fine although I bundled it off the vet just in case :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in this situation. We generally would tell the owner they could surrender the dog for the euthanasia fee and we would rehome the dog. Most owners would looking for an easy out.

IF not you have to euth the dog, you cannot take it and say you are going to euth, then rehome it.

Now I would suggest they call the breeder or would take it - like the young dog I currently have in my yard...............

Edited by OSoSwift

Being a sighthound, I'd be surprised if the puppy didn't show any predatory interest towards small animals.

I'd be pointing out to them that their puppy sounds perfectly normal for the type of dog they chose and suggest surrendering to a breed specific rescue group.

It actually reminds me of an idiot woman down here I've dealt with. She surrendered one dog to me (it killed a few of the kid's guinea pigs) and no sooner had we picked this poor dog up, the woman was out looking for another. A few months ago, she was trying to surrender that one (this time I refused to take it) and then last week, I saw her advertising on Gumtree, wanting a new greyhound. As if the previous two were broken or something.

You work at a veterinary hospital and a client comes in with a 7 month old sight hound puppy that they want to euthanize. They consider the dog dangerous because it killed one of their guineapigs. What do you do?

Are you speaking as the Vet or Vet nurse?

I would have to let the Principal of the practice make that call.

And euthanizing the puppy would not be an option.

I would try to aid in rehousing of the puppy. for all we know the guineapigs were never secured from sighthounds.

:cry:

Of course it killed the guinea pig...it's a dog! All of my 3 would kill a guinea pig if they could get to one. Only stupid people put the poor guinea pigs in this situation.

Is this an actual scenario? If so I'd like to know the outcome (if possible) Or is it just a hypothetical?

Vets don't HAVE to do any procedure they don't want to do - there are no laws stating they have to euth animals just because a customer wants the dog gone.

A good vet would discuss and try to convince the owners of their many other options that don't involve such a final disposal of their pet.

T.

I've been in a similar situation to this...

In my young teens I used to work for a Vet. In came a dog show person with a beautiful young sighthound, her glorious coat fully clipped off. The owner wanted her PTS, the reason ????????????? "she wasn't winning in the ring", yep they were his words. My wonderful Vet tried soooooo hard to talk him out of it, offered to keep her, offered to rehome her etc, it all fell on deaf ears, he wanted her put down, end of story. The worst part of this story was he refused to stay with her while she was put to sleep, he was "too busy". That joy was left to the Vet and myself. We both cried over that total waste of life. She wagged her tail for us right to the end :mad I can still see her gorgeous, sweet face :cry: . RIP gorgeous girl.

Sad thing is, this piece of s*#t is still showing dogs, not sighthounds anymore, but another breed. I occasionally see his results, and I cringe, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Even have a few of his dogs being campaigned here in Tassie, and I'm just grateful these dogs won't die the same way...

I now of vet practices that said they have put down dogs per owners request & then it be found out the staff have then gone behind the owners back & rehomed & yes some of these dogs had issues the vet staff felt wasn't true in there view & in one case ended badly for the person who took on the dog & the clinic taken to task for lieing to the person about there dog being PTS & for asking for it to be done for all the right reasons .How was this found out microchip number as when the issue occured it was still registered to the owner who wanted the dog PTS ,the owner had a bill paying for that service

If a vet doesn't wish to do it then they should refuse BUT never ever lie to & then rehome just because they think they now better ,

I will add we never leave any dog to be PTS without being there have also known vet nurses to try and save pups that have long term health issues & rehome ,have had vet nurses give lectures about PTS a pup that in there view deserves a chance yet had a terminal heart condition that would survive if lucky to 9 months & struggle .

I will add we had a vet nurse give us the "we are cruel owners lecture " for PTS an 8 week old pup that was diagnosed with a terminal heart condition we always stay if anything we own needs to be PTS because the stories of vet staff not following through is more common than people think

Wasn't there a vet in the US earlier this year or late last year that was keeping dogs alive for the purpose of being blood donors and what have you? From memory the dogs had been brought in for pts. Slightly different scenario as some of the dogs need to be pts due to health issues, but lying to an owner about not being willing to follow their instructions is not acceptable and is bound to be discovered at some point. Humans suck!!!!!!

Wasn't there a vet in the US earlier this year or late last year that was keeping dogs alive for the purpose of being blood donors and what have you? From memory the dogs had been brought in for pts. Slightly different scenario as some of the dogs need to be pts due to health issues, but lying to an owner about not being willing to follow their instructions is not acceptable and is bound to be discovered at some point. Humans suck!!!!!!

Yes

Sometimes , if an owner is given to know that there is help available in removing the dog from their yard , and finding it a home , their first kneejerk reaction disappears.

Faced with sobbing kids/mauled pet (possibly the first experience of death)... and the apparent heartlessness/aggressiveness of the once -cute puppy ..one answer looms large - and other solutions just do not enter into it .

Sure, there are folks who would PTS just because ...

Hope this situation was resolved happily.

Of course it killed the guinea pig...it's a dog! All of my 3 would kill a guinea pig if they could get to one. Only stupid people put the poor guinea pigs in this situation.

Is this an actual scenario? If so I'd like to know the outcome (if possible) Or is it just a hypothetical?

As a vet nurse and dog trainer I have saved many a dog by talking about behaviour, offering training alternatives or surrender for rehoming. In this case the dog was euthanized and a complaint was made against me for making the client feel bad about her decision by talking about/offering these things. I just wondered how others would approach it.

Edited by Blackdogs

As a vet nurse and dog trainer I have saved many a dog by talking abut behaviour, offering training alternatives or surrender for rehoming. In this case the dog was euthanized and a complaint was made against me for making the client feel bad about her decision by talking about/offering these things. I just wondered how others would approach it.

Appalling, very sorry you have had to go through this. I hope the customer doesn't get any more dogs or cats as they kill things too.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

As a vet nurse and dog trainer I have saved many a dog by talking abut behaviour, offering training alternatives or surrender for rehoming. In this case the dog was euthanized and a complaint was made against me for making the client feel bad about her decision by talking about/offering these things. I just wondered how others would approach it.

Appalling, very sorry you have had to go through this. I hope the customer doesn't get any more dogs or cats as they kill things too.

Thanks, Dogmad. The client had the dog loose in the yard with a variety of small animals. They considered the dog disturbed because it dispatched the animal by grabbing it around the neck and shaking it. They intend on now getting a 'sane' dog.

Management apologised to the client for my 'meddling' and assured her it would never be allowed to happen again. This is the thing that bothers me most. I have a great track record with these situations. One complaint and all animals will now likely be euthed no questions asked.

Why do so many people think it should be the vets responsibility to rehome, rescue etc? I can understand some would, some could. but really it is not what a vet is there for. They have enough to do without playing rescue. I also understand some would turn the client away because they do not want to euth the dog. At the end of the day the client owns the dog and within the law they can do what they want. We don't have to like it, but it's the truth. It just eats me up that the poor old vets get a bad rap for not rescuing every badly owned pet.

I'm so sorry you've had to experience this and I don't have much nice to say about your management that will seemingly happily euth normal, healthy dogs. A vet like that certainly wouldn't be getting my business.

I think it would be hard to find any vet who 'happily' euths a pet.

Edited by GrufLife

Oh jeez. I thought you're supposed to go through the options available with clients. What if they had legitimately not known that they could work with the poor pup or rehome?

I don't think my reaction is because I expect all vets to rehome every pet, but I'd expect clients are given the chance to make informed decisions. Just because one person takes offence doesn't mean your efforts should be stopped :(