Your Favourite Leash?

Jemmy

Another fan of The K9 Pro leather leads, so soft right from the word go. It survived the puppy biting stage very well. My trainer joked she wanted to steal Ronins lead as well :D I also have one of their 10m gripper long leads and it is also quite soft to hold.

It pays to invest in a quality lead as it is something you will use every day for hopefully many years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good quality leather if I was looking for a new lead. I'd probably just go to a saddler for it as I think they'd be able to make them for less than some of the named brands.

I have to admit, after making leatherware for years I am using rather cheap webbing leads I made myself almost 10 years ago. I intended to just use them when I took the dogs to the beach, and certainly never expected them to last as long as they have. I just sewed the brass clips on with my sewing machine and thought the stitching would give out long before now, but they're all still going strong. They look bloody awful :o but work well and I've no reason to retire them.

It really is the quality of the fittings that makes the difference - I've seen "good" leashes break when a dog pulls. I go for safety over look any day. I would never go for coloured leather.

The ruthless leather ones are great, but if you're looking for something cheaper that can cope with water, I'd go for the "fake" leather ones that K9Pro sells. They're very affordable, great quality and are easy on the hands.

Oh no That's terrible! I wouldn't be putting up with that, you need to get yourself a new leash young lady :)

I have a gripper leash too, but it doesn't do that to me, it must be my hard washer-woman's hands or something.

I like it a lot apart from the whole cut me to bits thing as I know the leash will never slip through my hands if Didi's ever silly. My mum has pretty tough skin and she held the leash for 2 minutes on one of our walks and got a cut too :confused: We have some nylon leads but none of them have brass buckles and I don't want to risk a breakage if Didi freaks out over something so I'm stuck with the machete leash for a bit longer.

I'm in the market for a nice thick leather martingale so may as well chuck a leash in there while I'm at it!

I have to admit, I'm really not a fan of leather- don't like the way it feels, don't like the maintenance, don't like the smell on my hands. I think it's also a style thing, don't like chunky/studs/brass hardware everywhere. I have sighthounds but the medieval cart-horse look doesn't do it for me.

I've been using BlackDog strong leads for a few years now and I'm really happy with them. They're soft, very flexible and I've never had one break. Having said that.. I'd second what Kirislin said about homemade leads. I've recently started making leads and not only is it surprisingly easy to make a decent, strong lead if you can find quality parts, you can customise the hell out of them :D

This is a lead I made recently for the Idiot Dog (with a matching collar)

post-19844-0-48856100-1415242782_thumb.jpg

The anodised coloured snaphook came from strapworks.com and the fox ribbon is from Etsy. The rest came from Adelaide Saddlery. I make mine with a double box stitch for the snaphook and handle and use the handle stitching to secure in an accessory D ring (I've never actually used an accessory D ring but that's hardly the point :o ). Hardest part was finding my tape measure so I could measure out the webbing/ribbon properly. That's just a really simple lead but with a bit of imagination, you could design something suited to your personal needs and tastes.

Oh no That's terrible! I wouldn't be putting up with that, you need to get yourself a new leash young lady :)

I have a gripper leash too, but it doesn't do that to me, it must be my hard washer-woman's hands or something.

I like it a lot apart from the whole cut me to bits thing as I know the leash will never slip through my hands if Didi's ever silly. My mum has pretty tough skin and she held the leash for 2 minutes on one of our walks and got a cut too :confused: We have some nylon leads but none of them have brass buckles and I don't want to risk a breakage if Didi freaks out over something so I'm stuck with the machete leash for a bit longer.

I'm in the market for a nice thick leather martingale so may as well chuck a leash in there while I'm at it!

machete leash :laugh:

I would try the Julius K9 leashes I linked on the last page if you like the gripper ones. They have more of the rubber rows, but are rounded on the edges and really quite soft.

I use Ruffwear collars/leads/harnesses for hiking/trail running etc - very secure, never had any problems and they last forever. People can abseil off some of the carabiners they use as clips so I don't think they would break easily! I have some Mendota leads for retrieving, they are also ok. For fancy stuff there are some beautiful handmade English leather leads and fabric leads on Etsy, could be worth a look. I've also seen leather leads and collars by Otto Schumacher in Germany that are stunning quality but they are harder to order online. For example:

http://www.reitsport-mueller.ch/files/os-dogsfashion.pdf

I personally find leather doesn't suit my dogs, I like the lightness, strength and durability of synthetic, although I'm often tempted by the Hennessy and Sons collars :D

Ruthless Leather is closed for the moment, FYI.

I think you can still contact them through here - I did :)

It really is the quality of the fittings that makes the difference - I've seen "good" leashes break when a dog pulls. I go for safety over look any day. I would never go for coloured leather.

The ruthless leather ones are great, but if you're looking for something cheaper that can cope with water, I'd go for the "fake" leather ones that K9Pro sells. They're very affordable, great quality and are easy on the hands.

Zig swims in his Ruthless leather collars almost every day. We have had them for about 2 years. They cope remarkably well with being in water.

They are both still in awesome condition.

I do condition them once a month or so..

Edited by Staffyluv

I bought a gripper lead as I wanted something with the solid brass buckle but didn't want to ruin an expensive leather one at the beach and park... it's fine except for the fact that everytime I use it my thumb gets covered in tiny but painful papercut sized slices. I have to wear a bandaid now otherwise I'll get home and my thumb is a stingy bleeding mess... and Didi doesn't even pull that much! Not sure exactly why it happens (i suspect something to do with the impregnated rubber) but I'm going to have to buy a different lead and just retire the gripper to backup/emergency car lead.

I had the exact same thing happen to my hands using my Gripper leash Terri S. They are good leashes & the buckles are so strong but I ended up with what looked like tiny paper cuts all up my index finger & thumb. I too resorted to bandaids as I would come home a bloody stinging mess. Not for us I'm afraid. I have never had that problem with any other leash thankfully.

My favorite leash is the EzyDog Zero Shock. They are terrific leashes as they absorb any jolting etc. I have a hand, lower arm & elbow impairment so these leashes are a godsend for me. I used to come home with aching hands just from holding the leash but not anymore & neither of my guys are pullers. They are tough & cope very well with beach conditions. I do rinse them daily though to remove any sand that might have got into the buckle.

Edited by BC Crazy

• 7 months later...

Time for an update! I was so indecisive, and then I found 2 local leather workers. Then I couldn't decide between them, so these are what I got! Both places have Facebook pages.

From Thorndene Saddlery:

dccfb92fe0a50e167c5ae2371efb95c5.jpg

From Tania Burbury - Leatherworker:

1991f396c00befdc454a483c4d7a701f.jpg

Sorry to derail but does anyone use the syntek leashes from k9 pro? I am tempted by their purpleness....

I have a syntek collar and am very happy with it... An orange one, it's very vibrant :)

Gus and Luna match! I'm really pleased too actually. Anything as grub proof as that wins in my book.