Lost Dogs Home

Jed

NEWS

Senior staff at Melbourne Lost Dog’s Home sacked amid investigation

TOM MINEAR HERALD SUN MARCH 04, 2015 9:29PM SHARE

TWO senior staff at The Lost Dogs’ Home have been sacked amid an ongoing investigation into the shelter’s animal welfare practices.

Managing director Dr Graeme Smith and shelter operations manager Sue Conroy both said they were dismissed and were seeking legal advice against their former employer.

Agriculture Minister Jaala Pulford announced an investigation into The Lost Dogs’ Home in January as animal welfare activists raised concerns about the shelter’s high rate of euthanising unclaimed cats and dogs.

In one incident, a widow’s dog was put down a day after a call was made to claim him.

The audit was completed last month and the Herald Sun understands a report will be released soon.

But Ms Conroy and Dr Smith claim their dismissals were not related to the inquiry.

Ms Pulford’s spokeswoman Georgia Brumby confirmed to the Herald Sun that the Government’s investigation was confined to the shelter’s operation, not its management.

Ms Conroy said it was “awful” to leave after giving her “heart and soul” to the organisation for nearly 30 years.

She criticised the State Government’s “trumped up audit” as a “highly irresponsible” move which was forced by a negative social media campaign.

“We get audited by the City of Melbourne every year and we got a clean bill of health late last year,” Ms Conroy said.

She said the reasons for her dismissal were “flimsy” and she was seeking legal advice before going to the Fair Work Commission.

Dr Smith told 3AW he was also seeking legal advice and that his dismissal had “nothing to do with the government inquiry”.

Dr Smith’s departure was announced in a statement by acting chief executive Vince Haining.

“I understand that this news will come as a surprise to many in The Lost Dogs’ Home community,” Mr Haining said.

He wished Dr Smith well and said he had implemented important changes for lost and abandoned animals.

“We have every confidence in our staff to ensure our practices and our policies continue to support the best outcomes for every animal in our care,” Mr Haining said.

Ms Brumby said the Agriculture Minister expected to receive a report on The Lost Dogs’ Home in the coming weeks.

“The investigation is examining allegations relating to high euthanasia rates, accommodation and housing of animals, identification of animals’ owners and the assessment of animals for re-homing,” Ms Brumby said.

“While the investigation is still underway it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

The complaints finally bore fruit.

Dr. Smith was instrumental in the introduction of BSL into this country, so I am :happydance: at this news.

Fantastic news that those evil two have been sacked :thumbsup: and it has to start at the top for LDH to have a chance of reform. There was no way that would have happened whilst those two awful people were there. I love her comment "Ms Conroy said it was “awful” to leave after giving her “heart and soul” to the organisation for nearly 30 years, but from what was going on there, she didn't have a heart, soul or conscience and I say "good riddance to bad rubbish" to both her and Graeme Smith. How they got away with what they did there for so long is just appalling and so many dogs lost their lives because of them :mad

Fantastic news that those evil two have been sacked :thumbsup: and it has to start at the top for LDH to have a chance of reform. There was no way that would have happened whilst those two awful people were there. I love her comment "Ms Conroy said it was “awful” to leave after giving her “heart and soul” to the organisation for nearly 30 years, but from what was going on there, she didn't have a heart, soul or conscience and I say "good riddance to bad rubbish" to both her and Graeme Smith. How they got away with what they did there for so long is just appalling and so many dogs lost their lives because of them :mad

Yesss, this ^.

Brilliant news and not a moment too soon. :champagne:

:happydance::clap::cheer:

Retire with a lot of money from his undoubtedly hefty payout, methinks Perse. Hope he doesn't darken another doorway, TBH.

Unfortunately, probably true Steph. In my mind he should have cruelty charges brought against him but at least he is gone and I sincerely hope and pray things will now turn around in that place.

• 2 weeks later...