Nag Nag Nag

Has he got a cover on his crate? If not try covering it, muffle any whining and keep in some heat. Or time for Ernie to be a big boy and move the crate outside your room to be completely ignored!

Be strong to Labrador puppy eyes!

If the yawning doesn't work I'd be doing this ^^^

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me ages to figure out why Zeus had all of a sudden started barking around 2am every morning. I started keeping him a kilo lighter due to agility and the poor guy was cold regardless of the 50 plus fluffy blankets he has in his box. He has a fleece coat and every night I say 'where's your warms?' and he stands to have it put on.

Quiet nights for over 2 years now :)

They do very quickly learn behaviours that garner a response. They're buggers and Ernie is no exception :) Too smart for his own cheeky good!

We have been dealing with a very similar problem with Tempeh and I have a solution for you to try. Tempeh often vomits up bile before breakfast and has been vet checked for this and just happens to be the kind of dog that can get over hungry. So we started giving her a treat around 10 at night to combat this problem and it has worked well. But then she started whining for treats earlier. Then she started wanting multiple treats throughout the night. It got so bad we were giving her treats (tiny ones) only two hours after her dinner time and every hour after that until we went to bed just to shut her up.

A while back we met the Dreadlocked Dog Whisperer and he gave us a technique to use on her. We look in her direction, give a huge yawn, stick our chins in the air and look away. This is simply mimicking something mother dogs do to settle naughty puppies. So we started using it again and within only two nights she was no longer even bothering us for treats and we were back to being the ones to instigate late night treat time. And the good thing for you is you can do this while lying in bed - I wouldn't even get up to let him out for a pee first, I'd just do the whole yawn thing and roll over and see what happens.

I actually told Martin about this on FB and he wrote the following back which you could also apply - "I'll be doing videos soon so you can really remember how much you can exaggerate that yawn and head tilt. Also act aloof and arrogant until everyone calms down - and sleepily close eyes and let all air out of your lungs like you're getting ready to sleep. Is real hunting weather at moment so all dogs getting restless and finding it hard to settle."

Bless you LG!

Mac has started the 3.30 am carry on as well. I got up and took him out for a wee at 3.30 this morning and nothing. GRRRR!!! Wonder if he's hungry? Gave piece of cheese. Stomp back to bed; put him on his side of the bed. Mac goes out like a light and doesn't stir until morning - genuinely think he was hungry. I might try the bedtime treat and the yawn routine as well.

It took me ages to figure out why Zeus had all of a sudden started barking around 2am every morning. I started keeping him a kilo lighter due to agility and the poor guy was cold regardless of the 50 plus fluffy blankets he has in his box. He has a fleece coat and every night I say 'where's your warms?' and he stands to have it put on.

Quiet nights for over 2 years now :)

They do very quickly learn behaviours that garner a response. They're buggers and Ernie is no exception :) Too smart for his own cheeky good!

We had our coldest May night in Adelaide on Saturday night since 2010. And I think Mac was cold which is why he woke me up overnight then too. He does settle if he's warm - and he particularly likes being in the crook of my arm with the blanket over him.

This is presuming the dog is cold .

What if he is too warm?

A well fleshed healthy young lab, with a good coat shouldn't in my mind, be at all cold indoors with good bedding .

being a bit warm can also make dogs restless ...

what's the temperature in the room, Stressy ? is the crate under a window, or in a draft zone?

It IS a cold house but my bedroom is ok. But I snuggle under a doona and wear a Wee Willie Winky nightcap. The house can get really cold - we all wear dressing gowns and slippers once we get home.

While he's not fat, he's not lean either - I reckon he could lose a kilo so I'd be surprised if he's too cold. But I put an extra large squishy pillow in his crate. He's got room to kick it away from him if is not what he wants.

He MAY be in a little growth spurt so I'll give him a vanilla biscuit treat (about the size of a playing card) along with his Dental Stix and feed him a bit earlier.

And today I bought earplugs.

Edited to say: the crate is covered with a hideous cheap Snugglie blanket with arms thingy. It's nice and dark but I rejigged it so he couldn't see me. It's not in a draft at all.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Sounds like he's got all his creature comforts and just being a sook then biggrin.gif. Make sure he's had his last toilet of the night, then ear plugs in and ignore him until morning. Goodluck!

Ok.

Big snuggle pillow in his bed. Check.

Gonna feed him at 4:30-5pm. Check.

Does this mean he is in the crate during the day too ?

I have no idea except to say that when you go to bed if you take him with you & let him sleep on your bed you will both be nice & warm & both get a peaceful & unbroken nights sleep.

My 10 year old Tara gets me up at around 5am no matter how late I let her out & kicks off all the other dogs too but if she gets a turn sleeping with me I have to drag her out of bed in the mornings.

Banned from the bedroom at present as Carla & her 4 puppies are right next to the bed in their nest & Carla wouldn't like her near her babies yet.

No he's not crated during the day. He goes for a 1-1 ½ hour walk with me after the girls get dropped at school. He romps with a bunch of his doggy buddies - racing in and out of the creek, playing grab the stick and zoomies - he's pretty tuckered. I usually don't leave till he's not interested in anything but my side. Then he's out in the garden till about 1, while I clean and comes in for 2 hours in his crate beside me when I nap. Then out for another 2 hours till dinner and in for the evening (around 4:30).

I've tried him on my bed but he just won't settle and leave me alone. Which is why he's in a crate.

I come from the 'whatever gets you sleep' rule of parenting and don't particularly care WHO sleeps with me as long as they don't wreck my sleep. Ernie reckons being on the bed just means he's closer to my face and I must want lovin'. Commands to 'settle' which he normally obeys - he's too excited to ignore; so I gave up, thinking he's still too young.

I've had this problem on and off with my dog.

At the moment she's started from about 3:30pm - nag nag nag.

I'm not sure if it's walk or dinner or she'd be happy with either as long as it's something... ideally both in that order.

But dinner's not due till 6:30pm ish and she doesn't get a walk when she's cut her foot pad or it's raining (mutual dislike for this).

And this doesn't stop her nagging.

And the nag can get quite a bit physical... ie paws on my shoulders as I sit at the computer and yelling in my ear. Which is a good thing if I've forgotten something but a bad thing if she's just playing me.

So sometimes I put her back on lead until she settles... I'm considering putting her in a crate (with covers) until the time is right.

Sometimes she really does need a toilet break but is really hoping she doesn't have to do it at home (much prefers the local playground for this for some reason).

PS just found out she'd rather have frozen food than wait for it to be defrosted...

and now she wants the pasta water... sigh.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Leave him outside when he wants to go out. I rarely wait for mine if they need an outside trip.

My dogs would just sit there and periodically remind me they are there laugh.gif

Just a scratch at the door or small yip every 10mins or so. Demanding creatures...

I say this as deniki has burrowed under my blankets and the others are asleep at my feet -read: spolt!embarrass.gif

No he's not crated during the day. He goes for a 1-1 ½ hour walk with me after the girls get dropped at school. He romps with a bunch of his doggy buddies - racing in and out of the creek, playing grab the stick and zoomies - he's pretty tuckered. I usually don't leave till he's not interested in anything but my side. Then he's out in the garden till about 1, while I clean and comes in for 2 hours in his crate beside me when I nap. Then out for another 2 hours till dinner and in for the evening (around 4:30).

I've tried him on my bed but he just won't settle and leave me alone. Which is why he's in a crate.

I come from the 'whatever gets you sleep' rule of parenting and don't particularly care WHO sleeps with me as long as they don't wreck my sleep. Ernie reckons being on the bed just means he's closer to my face and I must want lovin'. Commands to 'settle' which he normally obeys - he's too excited to ignore; so I gave up, thinking he's still too young.

I do know that having three dogs sleep on the bed isnt ideal, so i tried to go back to sleeping in a crate overnight but they were just SO annoying!

So back onto the bed just to shut them up- they won... at least i am warm in winter laugh.gif not really any benefits in summer..

so i tried to go back to sleeping in a crate overnight

My dog crate isn't big enough for me, but I could try setting up a tent...

Good catch laugh.gif No the 24" crate was a bit snug for me biggrin.gif

Edited by denali

I am the same as Rebanne - if the dogs ask to go out during the night, they stay out. They all hold on overnight now. :D

Yes very rarely any mucking around here. Day or night! Start sooking or carrying on and out you go. I'm having a lie in, all had been out to the toilet and one starts to sook. Out she went, by lead, and left out on her own. The others are on the bed with me while I think about getting up.

I really regretted saying Nixon was in a sleeping well phase last night, when he wanted to pee at 1am... I was sleeping so well too! But he kept clicking his little toenails on the floor outside my door until I woke up, and did run fairly quickly to the door, so I think it was legit. Pretty sure he then got sidetracked though :( I usually let him out, then go to the toilet myself, and if he's being good he's back inside by the time I'm done. If I have to call him it's a good sign he's stuffing around. Ratbag.