Adopt dont shop is spreading

asal

No longer applies to just dogs and cats now it seems.   Nearly fell over when I saw this for sale add..........(  ooops "Adoption"   add )

Name: Snow
Breed: Gypsy Vanner
Height: 14h
Adoption cost: 4200 AUD
Adoption status: Available
Description
Eye catching Gypsie
More woah-than-go attitude, 3 good paces and relaxed on trails, arena and obstacles. Genuine all rounder.Great to C/S/F, good feet, sound horse with clean legs.Snow is what every Horse Lovers Dreams are made of Snow is a Once in a Lifetime Partner! He is ready to meet you at the gate, saddles and bridles quietly. Walk over to the fence or block, climb up, turn around and Snow has already sidepassed up to as if to say, "Slide on, Lets go for a ride! Snow is broke to drive and was an essential part of a carriage business. He drives single or in a team. He’s done weddings, wagon rides in town, and private events! Snow has been used to teach lessons, and has even been started jumping! Snow has been nothing short of wonderful for every task we have asked of him. Whether he’s Driving, riding English or Western. He has exceptionally smooth gaits.
No photo description available.

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

My first thought on reading the ad was “scam” because of the AUD, which I’ve seen in scam ads for puppies. But I can’t see anything else that obviously indicates a scam… except that scammers often seem to advertise glamorous breeds like highland cattle, baby doll sheep and maybe gypsy vanner horses. Also, is “gypsy vanner” a name that’s used in Australia - or would it be advertised as a gypsy cob here?

33 minutes ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

My first thought on reading the ad was “scam” because of the AUD, which I’ve seen in scam ads for puppies. But I can’t see anything else that obviously indicates a scam… except that scammers often seem to advertise glamorous breeds like highland cattle, baby doll sheep and maybe gypsy vanner horses. Also, is “gypsy vanner” a name that’s used in Australia - or would it be advertised as a gypsy cob here?

I accidently deleted the page where I saw it and copied if from, now cant remember where it was advertised.

Adopt dont shop is redundant now anyway (in relation to pets) as nobody shops anymore, only ‘adopts’. I have heard quite a few of my own clients speak the words directly at me when telling me they have a new puppy ….. ‘that we adopted’ …..not from a shelter but directly from the breeder ! 

Personally I rather like the line ‘breeders don’t fill shelters, buyers do’ 

The vast majority of the dogs in the shelters here in SA are thoughtlessly bred, even more thoughtlessly purchased, working & bull mixes that are barely suitable for anyone other than experienced and dedicated dog people! 

Edited by Podgus
  • Like 2

The wording seems to be an amalgam of excerpts taken from other ads, which is also suggestive of a scam. 

https://www.horsedeals.com.au/listings/sweet-natured-gelding-3fd9c9e7-003e-428f-9acd-014223618df9
More woah-than-go attitude, 3 good paces and relaxed on trails, arena and obstacles. Genuine all rounder.
Great to C/S/F, good feet, sound horse with clean legs. 

http://valleyviewranch.net/Gypsy-Creek-Oleander.htm

"Ollie" is what every Horse Lovers Dreams are made of! Ollie is a Once in a Lifetime Partner! He is ready to meet you at the gate, saddles and bridles quietly. Walk over to the fence or block, climb up, turn around and Ollie has already sidepassed up to as if to say, "Slide on, Lets go for a ride!" Ollie has been in all types of country and trail rides the very best. Ollie was used by a cowboy to day work and was duded in the mountains of Colorado and in the desert of Arizona. Ollie was broke to drive and was an essential part of a carriage business. He drives single or in a team. He’s done weddings, wagon rides in town, and private events!

2 hours ago, Podgus said:

Adopt dont shop is redundant now anyway (in relation to pets) as nobody shops anymore, only ‘adopts’. I have heard quite a few of my own clients speak the words directly at me when telling me they have a new puppy ….. ‘that we adopted’ …..not from a shelter but directly from the breeder ! 

Yes, I've heard this too.  Also "Oodle" bought from breeder.  :banghead:  :banghead:

• Like 1

Quite frankly, if money changes hands when getting a pet - cat, dog, horse, rabbit, etc - you are buying (shopping) that animal. That applies to animals from breeders, pounds, or rescues.

The word "adoption" traditionally means taking in a human child that was unable to be raised by it's birth parents for whatever reason. I am an adoptee, and have always felt that applying the word to animals is misleading and not quite "right". Applying the word to animals feels like a cheapening of what my parents did to bring me into their family and to raise and love me completely unconditionally regardless of my birth origins.

The word "adoption" completely anthropomorphises the human/pet relationship, which is exactly what the animal rights agenda wants, and is trading on to further their goal of removing our ability to own animals. The more we relate to animals as surrogate humans, the more the animal rights extremists push to change legislation to change the status of our pets to surrogate humans, with all the rights that entails... and removal of "ownership" status is high on their list.

T.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, asal said:

I accidently deleted the page where I saw it and copied if from, now cant remember where it was advertised.

I had a search on FB @asal ---> https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100091380890365    and like heaps of dog "adoption" pages it appears to be a scam.

If ya feel like some stirring perhaps it'd be fun to string them along

• Haha 3

I wouldn't even respond to an advert that had such silly wording. No I'm not 'adopting' the horse, I am buying it! Unless they want to give me the horse as money exchanging hands in an 'adoption' just isn't right! :laugh:

• Like 1

This pony might have walked past a gypsy cob at some stage but also could have a draught further back, or a Welsh. 

Horse dealers have always had a well deserved shady reputation.

Unfortunately with animals it is often kids pressuring their not- knowledgeable-enough parents to buy. 

On a lighter note, in the days when warmblood horses were first introduced here, I heard an eventing horse described (over the loudspeaker at the eventing world championships at Gawler, no less) as a Tasmanian warmblood. Probably a Clydesdale cross, I thought, and much less expensive than the imported variety. Love the Aussie sense of humour.

Edited by Mairead
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

Yes Vanner is used in Australia a friend has 3 

16 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Yes, I've heard this too.  Also "Oodle" bought from breeder.  :banghead:  :banghead:

Well there are different registries these days. 
I have to be registered as a breeder with DACO because I have 1 entire male dog. So technically I can call myself a breeder. Anyone who breeds a dog is a breeder. 
the idea that the kennel clubs should be the exclusive breeders is kind of weird  

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 4:02 AM, sandgrubber said:

What's the fuss?

My dogs are family.   I adopt them, even when I buy them. 

They do NOT become fur babies!

No argument, FB has some stupid rules about animal sales.

no idea if it is true, but told PETA own shares in facebook and demanded the rules

• Sad 1

"Personally I rather like the line ‘breeders don’t fill shelters, buyers do’  

I like that. Then add the byb element which is the majority of shelter dogs aren't from legit registered breeders and more from my mate with a "purebread X" that wants to breed with another "purebred X"  (or cross with fancy oodly name) " or  The kids need to see the wonder of life/my dog is so amazing he/she should breed, or just people dont desex their pets are let them roam.  

You "adopted"  a dog/cat from a shelter? Oh you paid $200 to adopt? you did not adopt, you bought.

Cue angry anti breeder rant.  

Rinse and repeat.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cannibalgoldfish said:

"Personally I rather like the line ‘breeders don’t fill shelters, buyers do’  

I like that. Then add the byb element which is the majority of shelter dogs aren't from legit registered breeders and more from my mate with a "purebread X" that wants to breed with another "purebred X"  (or cross with fancy oodly name) " or  The kids need to see the wonder of life/my dog is so amazing he/she should breed, or just people dont desex their pets are let them roam.  

You "adopted"  a dog/cat from a shelter? Oh you paid $200 to adopt? you did not adopt, you bought.

Cue angry anti breeder rant.  

Rinse and repeat.  

It's more complicated.   SWFs are rare in shelters.  I doubt you'll ever find a puggle.  Small terrier crosses are rare.  Bull terrier crosses are everywhere.

• Like 3