Update: Vet Condemns Couples Outrage Over $37,000 Vet Bill

Deeds

18 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made, on the spot.

3 of my last 4 dogs did that to me... on the spot having to weigh up whether to give myself more time with them, versus expensive treatments that were not going to result in much quality/quantity of life for the dog. I put all of their needs ahead of my own emotions and opted for giving them their wings with dignity and love.

Of particular note, though, is the one that I had to take to an emergency clinic where I was reduced to having to argue the case for euthanasia, as she had eaten something that had obstructed and then ruptured her innards. The emergency vet was so adamant that "we" should try surgery that had only a miniscule chance of success - and would only have me back to having to make the same decision in a day or two, so why the hell would I put the dog (or myself) through that??

T.

• Like 6

My 15 year old cattle dog collapsed and I rushed him to the vet.  Fortunately, my super vet was on duty (gee I miss him!) and he did a few quick tests that showed his abdomen was full of blood.  He said, that in his experience, he either had a tumour on his spleen or liver, that had ruptured.  Surgery would give him another 8 or so weeks.  So I made the decision.  This taught me that I need to ask what the prognosis is after the surgery as in those times of panic, everything goes out of your mind.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Great article.
When Molly was attacked, she was cleaned up and kept quiet. When we visited her at lunchtime to talk to the head vet I realised she was deteriorating.  After we left they operated on her to clean the wounds up and that was when they realised she had a crushed rib that had pierced her chest cavity. Earlier X-rays didn’t pick it up as there was so much bruising. She was rushed to the  emergency hospital as she couldn’t breathe on her own and by this time it was in the “after hours” time. Obviously the bill was already high. The vet stabilised her and then spoke with us about what may need to be done. He gave us quotes on different scenarios. The bill could have amassed to a very large amount but he assured us he would talk with us every step of the way and didn’t need to decide straight away. We, naturally were upset but, if it had come to that we would have been asking about recovery and quality of life. She was not in a good way, but as it turned out the treatment our own vet provided was enough and we didn’t need to do anything more major for her. The bill was big but we were fine with it. It’s what, as pet owners we do. If it’d been worse who knows. I don’t like to think about that. Emotions do come into decisions but you really have to know when to draw the line. For the pet as much as for yourself. 

• Like 4

On 20/05/2023 at 6:34 AM, tdierikx said:

3 of my last 4 dogs did that to me... on the spot having to weigh up whether to give myself more time with them, versus expensive treatments that were not going to result in much quality/quantity of life for the dog. I put all of their needs ahead of my own emotions and opted for giving them their wings with dignity and love.

Of particular note, though, is the one that I had to take to an emergency clinic where I was reduced to having to argue the case for euthanasia, as she had eaten something that had obstructed and then ruptured her innards. The emergency vet was so adamant that "we" should try surgery that had only a miniscule chance of success - and would only have me back to having to make the same decision in a day or two, so why the hell would I put the dog (or myself) through that??

T.

had that problem with a horse vet when I came home to find my favourite with a ruptured stomach. he ran up an $1800 bill in 25 minutes "trying to save her" when blind freddy coujd see she was ready to collapse and die. but nup he kept pushing and doing more useless tests until he finally admitted defeat when she collapsed and went into shock

• Sad 3

Vets should of warned them  how much its going to be , i'm afrais i just don't feel sorry for the vet , 37 grand thats a lot of money  , the usual person would never imagine thats going to be the cost  if they paid it the vet is lucky that they had that sort of money around ..

wE HAD A GREAT VET  WHO WAS VERY FAIR WITH HIS PRICES , AND always BANG ON WITH HIS  DIAGNOSES  only probelem you had was getting to see him he was so popular ,  he unfortunatly moved ,   and what a bunch of rip off artists ,  the rest of them around my area are ,  Lucky i just found one  who was'nt to bad  ,  but  after taking my dog to  4 local vets  , for his ears being infected , and  after a 4-500  dollar  consultation ,    just given steroids , CREAMS AND TABLETS  sent home and back again  wwithin weeks  , i  asked one vet to put him under and take a proper look ,,

vET DONE THAT COST OF $750     i specificly said   CHECK BOTH EARS WHILE HE IS UNDER , after all they were both inflamed , but one worse than the other , i picked him up was informed he had a bit of gunk in one ear but not  too bad ,,, i asked what about the other ear , OH we did'nt check that one ,  would you like another appoinment  , WHAAAAT he was took in with 2 inflamed ears  , another $750  to do it again , i was'nt impressed ,

Anyway after 4 vets , no solution  and a dog with constant red and sore ears , i loked up DR COOGLE   came across a vet on u tube  who said a good home made remedy is apple cider vinigar  diluted , before i done it  because he still had one red and inflamed ear i took him back to where i had just paid %750 to fix it ,  , because of the mix up   they  reduced the fee  knocked off the $70 dollars consultation  , just charged me  $350 dollars for all the other rubbish  , while there i asked him , what do you think of  cider vinigar to clean and fix them , his answer , Cider vinigat  you put that on Fish and chips don't you  ,, anyway next flare up probably a week after he finished his expensive course of steroids and tablets    and  opiti stuff which by the way cost $45  from pet barn and $85 dollars from him .  well next flare up ,  i tried the cider vinigar mix , and presto cleans them up withing a couple of days ,  , now   i've found  change his diet , a weekly dose of that opti stuff  ,  and when going inflamed a  good clean with  diluted vinigar he's a happy dog no mor   rubbing his ears .

Just a shame its cost me  over  3 grand  , to find out how to fix it on the internet ,  the vets   only seemed interested in there $80 consultation fee . $80 dollar swab  $80  bottle of opti stuff $80 tablets $80 steroids $80  creaM  ,, SEEMED TO ME THE ONLY THING THEY KNEW WAS $80  

37 grand is alot of money for some its a years wages , they should of sat them down and  told them not once but a couple of times  people will get emotional  when they think a familly member is going to die  ,  it would need explaining more than once ,  not just sign here and we'll send you the bill

Edited by coneye

4 hours ago, coneye said:

37 grand is alot of money for some its a years wages , they should of sat them down and  told them not once but a couple of times  people will get emotional  when they think a familly member is going to die  ,  it would need explaining more than once ,  not just sign here and we'll send you the bill

Yes it's a lot of $.  But you assume the vet knew what the problem was before doing CAT scan and other tests.  Very likely it was worse than anticipated.  When Ihave ended up in similar situations,  I have left the vet with instructions to let me know if the bill was likely to be over $Xxxx, or the prognosis was poor.   I have been prepared to decide on euthanasia if the cost was beyond me or the expected outcome was short of full recovery.

Edited by sandgrubber
said MRI when I meant CAT scan
  • Like 4

I wonder if, in these "it is always someone else's fault, I am the victim here" times, vets have to be aware of suggesting  everything else before euthanasia because it is such a fraught decision, even for rational people.

I came across the poem "The Last Battle" in a Hound Club show catalogue and kept it because I thought one day I would need to make that right decision.

"...for this last battle can't be won.

"... stay with me until the end."

"we've been so close, we two, these years, don't let your heart hold any tears."

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Deeds said:

Most Vets in similar circumstances would ring the client with updates and ask if they want to proceed or euthanise after discussing the prognosis.

Most clients would have checked up soon after admission.   We don't know the full story here. 

"SVES did provide a statement toA Current Affairdefending the bill, saying the client was aware and consented to the cost for the “unique and critical case” prior to treatment and after choosing between “alternative treatment options”

“The client also obtained a second opinion with an independent 3rd party about the proposed treatment and costs prior to consenting to the cost of the surgery,” the clinic’s statement read."

Edited by sandgrubber
added quoted bit
  • Like 5

Most vets I have known over the past 40 years have been  reluctant to straight out say " put to sleep". They can get sued for that, by owners who decide after the event that they were talked into it etc. Vets can't win.

Opal is possibly having expensive surgery in the nearish future. I have a figure in mind that is my limit. I also know how hard it is to say stop after you start down that path.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deeds said:

Yes.  And I was always of the view the couple went public with the bill to shame the clinic into accepting $29,000 instead of $37,000.

And if they did accept a lesser amount then everyone would expect the same. I understand it’s a ridiculous amount to pay but it is what it is and if you can believe the article, they were given options. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Yes it's a lot of $.  But you assume the vet knew what the problem was before doing CAT scan and other tests.  Very likely it was worse than anticipated.  When Ihave ended up in similar situations,  I have left the vet with instructions to let me know if the bill was likely to be over $Xxxx, or the prognosis was poor.   I have been prepared to decide on euthanasia if the cost was beyond me or the expected outcome was short of full recovery.

Also, I don't think it's a lot of money for the couple in the article. SVES have a very particular market niche, and that's a wealthy clientele that wants to spend crazy money on  their pet. It sounds lilke that couple also knew what they were getting themselves in for, and made that decision anyway.

It's pretty appaling that they are playing this "poor us" game after the fact.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, coneye said:

Vets should of warned them  how much its going to be , i'm afrais i just don't feel sorry for the vet , 37 grand thats a lot of money  , the usual person would never imagine thats going to be the cost  if they paid it the vet is lucky that they had that sort of money around ..

There are many many people in that area who think $37,000 is nothing. It was also pretty clear from another article that this couple had been warned that the cost could blow out, and knew exactly what they were getting in for. The couple also even acknowledged that it wasn't much of a financial impact for them.

I don't think the vet is "lucky" - the people who go to that particular vet go there because they want that sort of treatment. I personally know that I can't afford it, so wouldn't go to that particular vet.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

It works be interesting to know how well the dog recovered,  and how long it lived after the operation.   I'd guess it would be a slow and difficult recovery.

In the video I saw it had a lot of difficulty walking. Op was over Easter so only a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 8:55 AM, coneye said:

wE HAD A GREAT VET  WHO WAS VERY FAIR WITH HIS PRICES , AND always BANG ON WITH HIS  DIAGNOSES  only probelem you had was getting to see him he was so popular ,  he unfortunatly moved ,   and what a bunch of rip off artists ,  the rest of them around my area are ,  Lucky i just found one  who was'nt to bad  ,  but  after taking my dog to  4 local vets  , for his ears being infected , and  after a 4-500  dollar  consultation ,    just given steroids , CREAMS AND TABLETS  sent home and back again  wwithin weeks  , i  asked one vet to put him under and take a proper look ,,

vET DONE THAT COST OF $750     i specificly said   CHECK BOTH EARS WHILE HE IS UNDER , after all they were both inflamed , but one worse than the other , i picked him up was informed he had a bit of gunk in one ear but not  too bad ,,, i asked what about the other ear , OH we did'nt check that one ,  would you like another appoinment  , WHAAAAT he was took in with 2 inflamed ears  , another $750  to do it again , i was'nt impressed ,

Anyway after 4 vets , no solution  and a dog with constant red and sore ears , i loked up DR COOGLE   came across a vet on u tube  who said a good home made remedy is apple cider vinigar  diluted , before i done it  because he still had one red and inflamed ear i took him back to where i had just paid %750 to fix it ,  , because of the mix up   they  reduced the fee  knocked off the $70 dollars consultation  , just charged me  $350 dollars for all the other rubbish  , while there i asked him , what do you think of  cider vinigar to clean and fix them , his answer , Cider vinigat  you put that on Fish and chips don't you  ,, anyway next flare up probably a week after he finished his expensive course of steroids and tablets    and  opiti stuff which by the way cost $45  from pet barn and $85 dollars from him .  well next flare up ,  i tried the cider vinigar mix , and presto cleans them up withing a couple of days ,  , now   i've found  change his diet , a weekly dose of that opti stuff  ,  and when going inflamed a  good clean with  diluted vinigar he's a happy dog no mor   rubbing his ears .

Just a shame its cost me  over  3 grand  , to find out how to fix it on the internet ,  the vets   only seemed interested in there $80 consultation fee . $80 dollar swab  $80  bottle of opti stuff $80 tablets $80 steroids $80  creaM  ,, SEEMED TO ME THE ONLY THING THEY KNEW WAS $80  

many vets these days simply assure the frantic owners "i will do all I can". and unless they ask they will not be given a quote for possible costs. then when its dies, are assured "Remember you  know you did all you can for your pet"   then get the bill. seen it so often.

In the case of my filly, I had realised soon as I unloaded her she had given up and asked for her to be put down but he would not go off his assurance patter  "am sure I can save her if you let me, at least let me try" and kept it up until I agreed. 35 minutes later ask my permission to put her down as she had collapsed and then hands me a bill for 1800 ?   800 of that was for supposedly administering 10 litres of Hartmans ?   he had hooked it up but she collapsed 14 minutes later?????? no way can you infuse 10 litres in 15 minutes! leaving me wondering how much was the rest of the bill padded.

be very careful with some, me! never used that practice again

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1