Oodles

Deeds

We have a couple of Bordoodles around here (Border CollieX Poodle).  This morning I met a new variety called a Sheepoodle .  It's a OES X  Poodle.  I asked the owners what breed it was and they said "Sheepoodle". 

Anyone else seen a Sheepoodle? 

• Haha 3

Gumtree has sheepadoodles. $4500

I would have thought OES endangered enough without wasting what might have been a good home.

Could turn out to be the coat from hell.

Edited by Mairead
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

One gumtree ad started as Poms and then changed twice more to add desirable crosses to the mix. Pup prices are falling. Changing tactics gets them sold.

Doubt there's pure OES in the cross if at all. But I hope it grows into a nice dog that they keep forever:pray:

• Like 2

Seem to be a lot of this sort of cross breed around , Suppose people can call there dog , an oodle , a scoodle , a sheepadoodle or a goodle , call them what they want its there dog , But to me its a MONGREL  or a bitza , , or in some cases you just can't tell so its a heinz 57

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coneye said:

Seem to be a lot of this sort of cross breed around , Suppose people can call there dog , an oodle , a scoodle , a sheepadoodle or a goodle , call them what they want its there dog , But to me its a MONGREL  or a bitza , , or in some cases you just can't tell so its a heinz 57

and nothing wrong with a good ole heinz 57, just stop with the stupid names

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

And claiming to have papers for them like pedigrees.  When they say they have some type of exotic mix with a stupid made up breed name they always say "oh they have papers" .  I always say back "Oh you mean you've got a receipt of purchase"

As for getting a Groodle why wouldn't you get a Standard Poodle.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2023 at 3:52 PM, Rebanne said:

and nothing wrong with a good ole heinz 57, just stop with the stupid names

Nothing wrong whatsoever , i've got one and thats what makes him interesting , , he seems to have that many personalaties  i' think he's past the mongrel ,  and at the  bitza , heinz 57 stage . . One minuite he's the  soft gentle  insecure  clingy maltese , next minuit he hears a noise in his sleep and he's at the window  , growling and barking at passerbys ,  One minuite on the beach he shy's away from every dog , next he wants to play with them all ,  at night he will not go off my houseboat without me ,  during the day its nose to the floor  follow it and he's gone , you just don't know which of the  breeds thats in him your gonna get  LOL ,  I'm more inclined to think heinz 57 ,, seems to have 57 different personalaties  LOL

• Haha 2

Hey Deeds,  How coooool that you came across a new variety like the Sheepoodle! It's always exciting to learn about different crossbreeds. I've heard of Bordoodles before (Border Collie x Poodle), but this is the first time I've heard about Sheepoodles (Old English Sheepdog x Poodle). What an interesting mix!!! Really!!!

It's amazing how creative people can get with breed names. It sounds like the owners were quite creative in coming up with "Sheepoodle" to reflect the mix of Old English Sheepdog and Poodle. It'd be fascinating to see how these two breeds combine in terms of appearance, temperament, and traits.

Thanks for sharing your encounter! It's always fun to hear about the unique and wonderful dogs that people have in their lives. If anyone else has seen or has experience with Sheepoodles, it'd be great to hear more about them! :heart:

Creative? What drugs are you on. :laugh:

Cross bred poodles are always named with oodle in the last half of the name. Nothing creative about it. 

I'm wondering if you have a vested interest in ‘hearing more about them’ because your post sounds as sincere as me when I’m telling my boss I don’t mind at all staying back another hour to wait on something he should be waiting back for! 

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Might be a groomer rubbing their hands in glee, or a person who thinks marketing and monetizing are above-board and worthwhile pursuits, or a wannabe trainer, because ...

same person who wrote treadmilling was suitable exercise for MegNZ's baby puppy Sophi.

Edited by Mairead
  • Like 2

On 16/08/2023 at 5:06 PM, April Andy said:

Hey Deeds,  How coooool that you came across a new variety like the Sheepoodle! It's always exciting to learn about different crossbreeds. I've heard of Bordoodles before (Border Collie x Poodle), but this is the first time I've heard about Sheepoodles (Old English Sheepdog x Poodle). What an interesting mix!!! Really!!!

It's amazing how creative people can get with breed names. It sounds like the owners were quite creative in coming up with "Sheepoodle" to reflect the mix of Old English Sheepdog and Poodle. It'd be fascinating to see how these two breeds combine in terms of appearance, temperament, and traits.

Thanks for sharing your encounter! It's always fun to hear about the unique and wonderful dogs that people have in their lives. If anyone else has seen or has experience with Sheepoodles, it'd be great to hear more about them! :heart:

I don't want to sound rude or offensive but this reads like something Chatgpt would write.

--Lhok

• Like 3

On 16/08/2023 at 5:06 PM, April Andy said:

Horrible mix, think of the coat problems.

They are not a breed.

This is a purebred forum so not likely to hear anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lhok said:

I don't want to sound rude or offensive but this reads like something Chatgpt would write.

--Lhok

Hmm, I tested ChatGPT and it doesn’t seem to think so. :laugh:

“It's possible that this text was written by a human, as it exhibits a conversational and excited tone. However, I can't confirm its authorship without more context. The discussion about Sheepoodles and the curiosity about their appearance, temperament, and traits shows genuine interest in learning about new dog breeds.”

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

It is really interesting to see the different opinions and ideas that come up when we are talking about Sheepoodle and other hybrids. The world of dog breeding certainly has its complexities and considerations, and it’s only natural that people have different opinions on the subject.

@Anne, I appreciate your thoughts on the naming conventions of hybrids. In fact, "oodle" has become a common suffix for poodle crosses. Whether we see it as creative or more deliberate, it’s interesting how these names go.

@Mairead and @Rebanne, your insights shed light on some potential challenges and discussions around crossbreeding. Coat problems and differences between species and hybrids are relevant points to consider.

@Lhok, thanks for your observation. It’s interesting to consider whether the original story reflects genuine human interest or whether AI dictates. It goes to show how technology and human interaction can sometimes blur the lines.

Regardless of our individual circumstances, it is important to approach these conversations with respect and an open mind Learning from each other’s experience and knowledge is what makes these conversations so engaging.

We continue to share our ideas and insights while respecting different perspectives to enrich this community. :heart::heart::heart:

Many breeds are becoming rare, even endangered, due to perhaps the scarcity of good homes with backyards and people willing to put in time and effort.

That many of these homes are used up with deliberate crossbreeds explains why some of us don't like to see such dogs promoted. To me it would be like conservation organisations breeding lion x tigers. What's the point? There are hundreds of breeds with different characteristics and global communities of knowledgeable people, whereas the oodle breeders have other motives.

Put hybrid vigour in the same category as liver cleansing and homeopathy. If mating unrelated parents meant robust health, most humans wouldn't need doctors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2