6 Year old bitten in the face by school support dog

Redsonic

If the same dog had been visiting the centre for at least 6 years without incident, one would wonder what was different about this particular day/encounter that triggered it to bite. I'm thinking that the whole story may never be truly known, and we all know how much the media love to beat up any dog bite incidents to immediately blame the dog... not to mention that all kids' mothers will say that their darling child would always behave appropriately around animals (which isn't always the case, as we all know).

I'm certainly not trying to minimise the gravity of this incident, just that there may be factors around why that will never be reported. I hope the little boy eventually understands that this was a fairly rare thing to happen, and he keeps loving animals of all kinds, albeit with a little caution when he doesn't know the animal very well.

T.

• Like 6

The marks look more like scratches than punctures. I wonder if the boy squeezed the dog and it scratched him trying to escape. It’s probable that we’ll only hear the mother’s side of the story because privacy laws will prohibit school staff and the dog handler from commenting on the incident.

On the other hand, I imagine the dogs might be sensitised by ongoing exposure to noise and rough play then triggered by a minor event so I hope that trainers and handlers, as well as dogs, have comprehensive training for the in-school support dog program and that dogs have regular wellness checks.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

The marks look more like scratches than punctures. I wonder if the boy squeezed the dog and it scratched him trying to escape. It’s probable that we’ll only hear the mother’s side of the story because privacy laws will prohibit school staff and the dog handler from commenting on the incident.

On the other hand, I imagine the dogs might be sensitised by ongoing exposure to noise and rough play then triggered by a minor event so I hope that trainers and handlers, as well as dogs, have comprehensive training for the in-school support dog program and that dogs have regular wellness checks.

It does look like scratches and not a bite, especially since it’s on both sides of the face, no dog should have to tolerate kids in their face or being hugged by people they don’t know, sounds like the supervising adults are allowing incorrect interactions between the dog and kids, hope the dog isn’t euthanised.

• Like 4

Some years ago I looked into the requirements for a therapy dog (Delta?). I decided I wouldn't allow my dog to risk having the things done to it that they required the dog to be OK with. Has this changed? Doesn't seem so.

• Like 1

"reportedly attempting to give the labradoodle a cuddle."

"Reportedly" is key.  I'm reminded of a story about a vet, who had just administered a lethal dose to an old family Labrador that had bitten a child, discovering staples through the dog's ear.  Young kids may do idiotically cruel things to dogs without an inkling of understanding what they are doing;  and a dog that has come to be trusted with kids will often be trusted too much.  Even the most gentle of dogs may strike out if pushed too far.  The statistic shows up as child bitten on the face.

Supervision.   Supervision.  Supervision.

• Like 5

On 02/09/2023 at 12:17 PM, sandgrubber said:

"reportedly attempting to give the labradoodle a cuddle."

"Reportedly" is key.  I'm reminded of a story about a vet, who had just administered a lethal dose to an old family Labrador that had bitten a child, discovering staples through the dog's ear.  Young kids may do idiotically cruel things to dogs without an inkling of understanding what they are doing;  and a dog that has come to be trusted with kids will often be trusted too much.  Even the most gentle of dogs may strike out if pushed too far.  The statistic shows up as child bitten on the face.

Supervision.   Supervision.  Supervision.

similar story for a cattledog, had bitten their child. vet put it down as requested. as he picked the body up his arm was cut as its head lolled over his arm? examination revealed a broken off pencil rammed into the dogs ear

many times there was a reason

• Sad 7

8 hours ago, asal said:

similar story for a cattledog, had bitten their child. vet put it down as requested. as he picked the body up his arm was cut as its head lolled over his arm? examination revealed a broken off pencil rammed into the dogs ear

I have dust in my eyes ... :(  :(

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2023 at 7:36 AM, asal said:

many times there was a reason

Oh my gosh. Poor dog :cry: