Dog Mauls Man & Woman

Deeds

the words are "Tuesday night he turned on the owner's 39-year-old sister and 42-year-old brother."

I have a friend with Shar Pei. when I visit the first thing she does is put them in their enclosure.

they are guard dogs and bred for fighting.

oddly enough the same can for said for pit u know whats.

it did not attack the owner.

how many decades are we going to read this before people do what my friend always does. locks her's up when visitors come.   problem solved.

"the deed" cant happen at my friends places. odd that?

the way some of them look at visitors, I have no doubt I would not enter before they went into their enclosure.

Edited by asal
  • Like 4

asal has a point... some sharpei's can be somewhat territorial and not overly friendly with visitors/strangers, and I'd always defer to the owner as to temperament regarding me wanting to approach one.

The breed mix reported in the OP dog is not one I'd choose to create... too many factors in both breeds if not carefully managed that can lead to outcomes like that described in the article. One does wonder that if the dog had never shown any hint of what was to happen over the 8 years they family had owned it, that there might have been some triggering factor to cause this incident - be that underlying health issues in the dog, or some human induced factor that particular evening. As the dog has now been destroyed, no-one will ever know, and that just gives grist to the mill for those hell bent on banning certain breeds. I'd go so far as to suggest that a good 99% of dog attacks of this nature are not necessarily just a "brain snap" by the dog in question, but there will be some other factor that led up to the incident. Yes, "brain snaps" do occur, but they are not the norm, and are actually quite rare.

The unsettling thing is that some in the media have been having a field day espousing their opinions about banning certain breeds - some, like Caleb Bond on Chris Kenny Tonight the other night calling for a whole list of breeds to be banned - incuding GSDs and Rottis - idiot!. Funnily enough, none seem to be calling for a ban on sharpeis, just the other breed in that dog's mix... and/or other breeds traditionally used for guard/protection work.

When I had 5 rottweilers, I used to put them away when visitors came over... not because they were prone to wanting to hurt anyone, but more that some people don't appreciate multiple fully grown rottweilers trying to sit on their lap and trying to give them slobbery kisses.

T.

• Like 3

One report I read quoted the man attacked, and said the dog ‘was responding to an argument in the house’. He was also referred to as the dog’s owner in that report. To do that severe an attack after 8 years in the same family to family members makes me think there is a long back story we will never hear. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, Diva said:

One report I read quoted the man attacked, and said the dog ‘was responding to an argument in the house’. He was also referred to as the dog’s owner in that report. To do that severe an attack after 8 years in the same family to family members makes me think there is a long back story we will never hear. 

And they used a cigarette lighter and boiling water to get it away from them … I am sure that there is much more to the story and yes, we will never hear it.

• Sad 4

Very sad. There was a similar case in Canberra a while back, a woman killed by her Staffie cross when she intervened to stop it attacking a male visitor. Only a few months before the same dog had received serious injuries trying to stop a violent home invasion. 

• Sad 3