Advocate Or Sentinel Spectrum

Hi All

I need to get a all rounder wormer and flea treatment for my pup soon. Which one should I use out of the 2 brands. Sentinel Spectrum or Advocate.

RSPCA endorses: Sentinel Spectrum

My vet endorses: Advocate

i know that advocate is more expensive but is it better ? Sentinel has a 100% preventative gurantee. They both look good? Which one though /

Edited by beaglenewb

I use Sentinel Spectrum - 2 reasons - it covers hydatid tapeworms (necessary for dogs travelling into Tasmania) and the tablet is inside, so I know it's through their system - a spot-on, you're relying on the grdual absorption through the skin - and the Forntline experience suggests that may not always be foolproof. JMHO

We dont use any of them.We dont apply unnecessary products for no reason.We dont have fleas & our dogs arent treated so we wont apply/give a chemical just incase.

For what the above costs it works out cheaper & more practical to just buy an all wormer from the supermarket(excelepet is perectly fine).

If the dog actually has fleas them you can just buy the excelepet flea liquidator which clients with infested dogs found to work better.

Which is better ??Your vet will say there one as they get comission & as would the RSPCA.

Did the reeder suggest one to use as some of the products have had reactions with some breeds

Hi All

thats what I thought wiith sentinal spectrum that internal thingy would be better. But why are spot on treatments so expenive ? I find it hard to put it on a fidgity beagle ! He eats everything so I guess a tablet would be better !

Guest Tiggy

I use Sentinel. I hate spot on products. The Vet recommended using Advocate when Sophie had Demodex but I don't use it anymore. I applied it one morning thinking by the time we get home from work it won't come off on your hands when you pat the dog but it still did and my Dad was wondering what was on his hands and licked it. :laugh:

I use Sentinel. I hate spot on products. The Vet recommended using Advocate when Sophie had Demodex but I don't use it anymore. I applied it one morning thinking by the time we get home from work it won't come off on your hands when you pat the dog but it still did and my Dad was wondering what was on his hands and licked it. :laugh:

:laugh:

we use sentinel and advantix as they got fleas when we were treating with sentinel alone.

If they had fleas on Sentinel then there must have been fleas in the environment. Fleas can't breed when the dog is on Sentinel but it won't stop them from picking up fleas already in the yard or house.

Yeah, I think they picked them up in the dog park or on holidays, or they were brought into our yard on a visiting dog or a roaming cat, possum, rat, etc.. Who bloody knows. I think it's all under control now anyway, yay!

I use advocate.

I don;t trust the tablet thing for fleas. Worms yes but fleas no.

We get worm tablets with our advocate. Enough for the 3 dopgs to be treated every 3 months.

I get 2 sizes of advocate, one for the JRT and the other for the other 2 as they are between 10 an d25 kg. We get worm tablets for each of them.

Have had no fleas at all in 12 months, worms are taken care of as they have the droncit? tablets.

I worm them for hytadid every 2-3 months. Hunta is being done monthly until she is 6months as i did this with the other 2 and have never had any problems with worms.

i think it is half of one 6 of another.

I don;t pat the dogs on the back of the neck for a couple of hours and then it is right.

No itching, no oiliness, nothing. No fleas either. I have not seen one on any of my dogs - EVER.

hmm I was wondering about this the other day actually. We currently use Advocate but my vet was trying to talk me into Sentinel.

Angus never has any fleas so I hadn't thought of changing, but it is really annoying putting it on the back of his neck, as he's 50kg now there is so much liquid for his size and half of it always ends up running off his back. As he's an inside dog it always ends up on something and it stains and smells.

Might finish off this pack, then make the switch

I swear by Advocate. It's the ONLY spot on which covers all intestinal worms, fleas, ticks and Heartworm. The only 'extra' I have to give is a tapewormer once every 3 months. The trick to using a spot on is to Part the hair and put it directly onto the skin, that way it doesnt run down the back, and dries a lot quicker. My pooch has never had a flea or tick on him and we live in a brown dog tick infested area. It may seem dearer but its cheaper than buying all the separate products, and prevention is better than cure.

I use Sentinel. I haven't used a spot on since the paint on my walls disolved because one of my dogs was lying against it after they had it put on :laugh:

;) OMG!

I don't use either - frontline for fleas and tablets from vets for worms (can't remember the name). I haven't been happy with the frontline though - only lasted about 3 weeks and then he started scratching again. I will be trying something different next time. We are in a newish area so there is still a fair amount of building etc going on and fleas are probably in the dirt. Diesel hasn't been scratching though and I haven't actually seen any fleas. My cat scratches heaps but no fleas so ... ;)

Sorry, can't really help here, but the tablet sounds ok.

kendall

I use Sentinel. I haven't used a spot on since the paint on my walls disolved because one of my dogs was lying against it after they had it put on :laugh:

;) OMG!

I don't use either - frontline for fleas and tablets from vets for worms (can't remember the name). I haven't been happy with the frontline though - only lasted about 3 weeks and then he started scratching again. I will be trying something different next time. We are in a newish area so there is still a fair amount of building etc going on and fleas are probably in the dirt. Diesel hasn't been scratching though and I haven't actually seen any fleas. My cat scratches heaps but no fleas so ... ;)

Sorry, can't really help here, but the tablet sounds ok.

kendall

Are you treating your cat as well? Cats carry flea populations around and you won't see any adults usually, because they groom them out.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller