Photo Challenge 2, 19-25 September

Vickie

Nah Rocco, I was jesting... I wasn't picking on your technique, was just saying that you reminded me of the conversation. Obviously not everyone who uses it (or requests it) is a bogan, just that 'bogans' seem to be the ones who just drool over it. We too have a few images hidden away that we have done spot colouring and it has worked. :laugh: (we just try not to show them to clients :) )

Spot colouring has brought tears to my eyes in the past. I had a client last year that went on and on about having a certain photo with spot colouring (rose petals thrown up in the air). There were so many rose petals it took me three hours to do it right. I also did up another version of the same image that I thought was better and only took me five minutes.

After all her carry on, which image do you think she chose? :love: it wasn't the spot coloured one.

The fad now is with desaturated colour rather than spot colouring. Like all things, this fad will be sure to pass also. :laugh:

Esp when you see how proud some people are of their wedding albums even if they are not very good

As I brought up in the conversation with the other photographers... In the industry we are sick of spot colouring because we have seen it done over and over, however clients haven't and they think it is wonderful. Give the people what they want :eek:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No worries Ashanali. Wedding photography honestly isnt something that makes me want to be farting rainbow, but I did see some nice spot colour and these people were so far removed from bogans. If I got married would I do it.... absolutely not. I am paying for sharp beautiful colour. I always say to friends budget wise for a wedding 20% wedding day and 80% dress and the best modern photographer you can find. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rocco1

rocco: I really like the 2nd bubbler pic with the little spark of sun reflected in the stream of water :)

and the way you got that almost perfect droplet coming out of the "grungy" tap :thumbsup:

Here's what I've got so far:

All Canon EOS 400D using lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, a tripod with the biscuit and remote control pics, and all edited using Corel PaintShop Pro X

remote control

remotecontrol.jpg

lens @ 46mm f/5.6 0.6 ISO 100

remotecontrol03bw.jpg

lens @ 46mm f/5.6 1 ISO 100

my fav of these

remotecontrol02.jpg

lens @ 47mm f/5.6 0.5 ISO 100

tap

tap02.jpg

lens @ 55mm f/5.6 1/8 ISO 100

tap01.jpg

lens @ 55mm f/5.6 1/5 ISO 100

tap03.jpg

lens @ 55mm f/5.6 1/15 ISO 100

dog biscuit

biscuit.jpg

lens @ 54mm f/5.6 1/50 ISO 100

and just for fun - well for me anyway ;)

biscuittex01.jpg

lens @ 18mm f/4.5 1/30 ISO 100

I really don't think Jamie was particularly happy to be dragged away from chewing a nice 1/3 of a marrow bone for this :)

biscuitjam.jpg

lens @ 39mm f/5.0 1/15 ISO 100

Chester thought it was worth it :)

biscuitchess01.jpg

lens @ 40mm f/5.0 1/40 ISO 100

... haven't finished with the biscuit yet, might try a few other things with taps, but the remote control is over :D

WOW, I feel so slack, I haven't even attempted any of these yet & am just having my first look at everyone's amazing work today.

Great shots everyone! both technically and imaginatively (if that's a word ;) )

I did buy nice biscuits...but I ate them :laugh:

Will try & do something today.

I'm crying time-poor so haven't done anything, between days at the Royal and family member ferrying to medical appointments.

So dashed out and took these just outside the Dog Pavilion between demonstrations, not fancy, PJ at best.

THAT's not a TAP -

DSC_1809.jpg

THAT'S a TAP

DSC_1799.jpg

Both with Nikon D70, Sigma 28-300mm 3.5-6.3 lens - (no laughing allowed okay). Filter: ShowGrounds dust on lens.

Both in Raw. Both manual exp. Both manual focus. No fill-flash. Both unhelpful fiddle in CS3 and minor crop in Photo Bucket.

The first one 140m, f8, 1/640.

The second one 60mm, f13, 1/640

Pffft... I know next to nothing about my camera.

Time-poor here this week too... hoping to get my arse into gear tomorrow morning.... oh crap! That's the end of the challenge week! :scared:

Hmm... bloody shift work.. next week I'll pull my finger out.... :laugh:

Excellent shots everyone!!!