Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Glad to hear Louis is still trending upwards :) - that has to be encouraging - along with the fact that he is feeling better and you can get some sleep, CC. Fingers and paws still firmly crossed for him.

Condolences to OzJen - I didn't know Jenna, but it's always sad to hear of the passing of a beloved animal. :(

Glad to hear Rosie was found safe and sound :thumbsup: Maybe she will think twice about running off next time :laugh:

CC, hopefully things keep going well for Louis :)

For those who aren't FB friends with OzJen I thought I would also let you know that Jenna crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Friday :cry: OzJen doesn't come on here much any more but I know Jenna was well known. Naughty little Aussie that she could be, she will be missed :(

Oh :( PLease pass on my condolences. RIP Jenna you will be missed

Guest RosieFT

So glad she's home!!!

To answer your question regarding Em off leash...well it's a long story :laugh: Her drive to hunt is through the roof and off any measurable scale BUT she is perfectly fine if she has a job to do (eg retrieving, agility, obedience training and trialling) and then she will ignore everything else (except the one time she brought back a huge dead rabbit in a retrieving trial instead of the correct item of game :eek: Still living that one down :o ). She's not a dog that enjoys going for walks - she prefers to run flat out or sleep - so she gets most of her exercise in training (especially retrieving which is lots of hard running and swimming). Most of the grounds that I use for training are bordered by forest or roads so I am super careful when letting her burn off some steam after training. Even if there is water I am careful as she is just as likely to fetch me up some local bird life. Seriously. Like Rosie, once she goes into hunt mode her ears seal over. Training a loud whistle recall has been brilliant because it seems to pierce the "fog" like my voice can't. I also use a "steady" command before she goes into full on hunt mode, verbally reward her for staying below threshold and always make sure she remains clear of any cover. I have super food rewards for recalling quickly and also reward her for checking in voluntarily. One thing I've noticed with both dogs is that asking them to sit or drop at a distance is often more effective than a recall in an emergency. Whistle sits at a distance are part of Em's retrieving training and Zig is used to drop on recalls. Em is much much worse about a month before coming into season so it's something I'm better prepared for now. That said, I have never nor will I ever, let her off in the forest again no matter how much of a PITA she is to walk. At home we have about 1/4 acre of fenced steep bush so Mr TSD exercises her in there under supervision when I'm away. She gets the very well fenced chook yard (sans chooks) under supervision when she's in season. Little turd that she is :laugh:

Thanks for the info TSD, like you, I don't think we can risk it with Rosie especially at dusk.... There are walks we have done with her in the bush where no animals have been heard or seen and she has been fine. I should have seen the pricked ears and bouncy walk sooner.

CC- I hope Louis keeps improving.

Oh no, I hope ozjen is ok. Lovely Jenna :( , how sad.

I'm so glad Rosie was found!!! Phew.

Hope things are still going well with Louis, CC :hug:

So very sad to hear about Jenna :( Poor ozjen :cry:

Long shot, but putting this out there just in case for my friend. Her parents are moving from interstate and doing a bit of travelling and need to rehome their 12-13yo Aussie Terrier..... anyone know of anyone looking for a senior citizen to spoil for his remaining years?

• 2 weeks later...

Poor GSP, hope she is found soon :(

Louis update - his pcv has now moved up to 40 and no spherocytes or agglutination of the blood :D He still has a mild inflammatory response but over all responding very well so far :thumbsup: His pred has been dropped down to 15mg/day day now - he was on 40mg/day to start with! His drinking and peeing is almost back to normal, but his muscle wastage will take a while to recover. He is also still on cyclosporine and melatonin.

He is eating well and is bright, but still has to be kept nice and quiet - not hard really as I think he's still feeling pretty weak. I've learnt a lot about IMHA over the past month - it is a shit of a condition and wouldn't wish it on anyone. He has made it through the initial danger period though, so fingers crossed he is one of the 20% that make it past 6 months :crossfingers:

Pics to show his little chicken legs and big belly - You can't see his temporal muscles, but they have disappeared and he has big bony hollows above his eyes :(

post-34105-0-65183000-1372657524_thumb.jpg

post-34105-0-45225500-1372657594_thumb.jpg

Guest RosieFT

CC - that is good news :-) ... I don't know anything about the condition, so am going on the :thumbsup: in your post :D

I too hope the GSP is found, horrible feeling when your dog is lost. :(

CC - lovely to read the hopeful update on Louis. I think about you and him every time I see the WA thread. It really does seem like he might be in that lucky percentage - largely thanks to how quickly you acted :) . Fingers and paws still firmly crossed here for you and him.

Aww thanks Tassie, I'll give him a kiss on his little bony head from you :)

Btw - did you try the herbalist?

Is that even a dog related question? :p

I haven't yet - it seemed we were throwing so much at him, but now things have settled down I'll give her a ring and have a chat about some ongoing herbal support :)

Aww thanks Tassie, I'll give him a kiss on his little bony head from you :)

Btw - did you try the herbalist?

Is that even a dog related question? :p

I haven't yet - it seemed we were throwing so much at him, but now things have settled down I'll give her a ring and have a chat about some ongoing herbal support :)

Bhahahhahaha!! I'm also very rude now supposedly, so beware! ; p

Im thinking of seeing her with Belle to see if she'd recommend anything for stressful times, ie vets. A colleague of OH has had great results with herbalist for his Tibetan terriers.

CC - lovely to read the hopeful update on Louis. I think about you and him every time I see the WA thread. It really does seem like he might be in that lucky percentage - largely thanks to how quickly you acted :) . Fingers and paws still firmly crossed here for you and him.

Louis is one lucky little pup, he has such a devoted mummy :)

The GSP is still not found but here is the latest update

Michelle Matthewsposted toKennel Zone Community - Western Australia

UPDATE:

Sonya Bowditch and her Tracking dog Bella came down to the lake in Sanctuary Waters where Sage was last seen to see if she could pick up her track. Well pick up her track she certainly did. From what we can tell she is in the bush behind Hakea Prison. Bella went troppo at the gate on Campbell Road and gave no sign that she came back out. We checked the other side on Warton Rd and it doesn't look like she went straight through. We are going to set up a station at the gate and put something there with our scent on and food and water and Madison will go down there a couple of times a day and see if she comes out. Not definite but haven't felt this positive for a while, so fingers and toes crossed