Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Guest RosieFT

Crossed from lost and found

Rosie White and tan smooth fox terrier.

Hoping someone who lives in the area could keep an eye out.

We went for a hike in the bush at the end of Beeloo Close this afternoon, along with 3 kids. As the light was starting to fall, Rosie spotted what we think was a fox and took off. She hesitated when we called her, looked at us, then turned back and disapeared over a hill. My husband chased after her but to no avail.

We called and called, but it was close to dark and I had to get the kids back to the car which was a 35min walk away.

We spoke to a few people in the surrounding properties that back onto the park.

My husband is heading back again now to see if she has tracked her way back to the car park.

My poor Rosie, she will freeze :-(

I am so sad right now.

Crossed from lost and found

Rosie White and tan smooth fox terrier.

Hoping someone who lives in the area could keep an eye out.

We went for a hike in the bush at the end of Beeloo Close this afternoon, along with 3 kids. As the light was starting to fall, Rosie spotted what we think was a fox and took off. She hesitated when we called her, looked at us, then turned back and disapeared over a hill. My husband chased after her but to no avail.

We called and called, but it was close to dark and I had to get the kids back to the car which was a 35min walk away.

We spoke to a few people in the surrounding properties that back onto the park.

My husband is heading back again now to see if she has tracked her way back to the car park.

My poor Rosie, she will freeze :-(

I am so sad right now.

Oh no, hope Rosie comes home soon for her dinner. Hugs to you from the Lakelands.

Guest RosieFT

Thank you. She is so little and skinny, she will be sooo cold :-( .

There is so much bush around there.

Right now I am dealing with so much, I really, really can't do this.

I am hoping she heads for one of the houses nearby and somebody rings me.

Guest RosieFT

I posted a photo to perth pets lost &found on FB - thanks RV for sharing it already - hope you hear something soon :-(

Thank you so much i was looking for a photo and then trying to remember how to put it on system.. so thank you!

Guest RosieFT

She has a red leather collar and tag, and is microchipped and loves people so if anyone finds her, they should be able to contact me easily :-(

Thanks again.

Guest RosieFT

Yippee! Someone just rang me from Kelmscott, they have her!! :-)

She followed them home last night, they ignored her and assumed she would 'just wander home again', but she was there this morning so they rang....

anyway,,, don't care! So happy, husband going ot get her now!!

late for getting kids to school chat later!!

thanks so much for the support!

Yippee! Someone just rang me from Kelmscott, they have her!! :-)

She followed them home last night, they ignored her and assumed she would 'just wander home again', but she was there this morning so they rang....

anyway,,, don't care! So happy, husband going ot get her now!!

late for getting kids to school chat later!!

thanks so much for the support!

Oh thank goodness!!!!!! :happydance:

Em did that to me once, RosieFT - took off into the forest after a rabbit at sunset :eek: After calling and calling I ran with Zig all the way home, grabbed my whistle and a torch and drove back out there. I kept to the same paths and just whistled and whistled. Finally I saw a little creature trotting down the path towards me - when I shined the torch on her and realised it was Em she spooked and went to turn tail. I crouched down, shone the torch on my face and called her quietly. Little bugger came racing up to me and I've never felt such a sense of relief!

Guest RosieFT

TSD and do you trust her off leash now? I don't think you can ever have good enough recall with a terrier to pull off a chase... or can you? I have managed to stop her in the past if i get her AT the point of her seeing/hearing/smelling the prey but saying WAIT! .. which is our best trained word... she stops dead and if i manage to grab her, I have her in time. But once she is off, her brain is gone.

We are thinking if there are prey about, we have to keep her leashed, lesson learnt.

What used to happen on 'the hunt'???? What if the dogs went after the quarry and didn't return? or even after the 'wrong' quarry? Did they just get a new dog? or did the dog just track back to home? sheesh. Rosie has an amazing nose and is becoming more and more like a beagle when i walk her. She can scent find her ball when it gets lost, and often likes to track smells when on a walk. I was hoping she would back track to our car, but she found people :-)

Thanks for all the happy dances :thumbsup:

She had a cold night on the veranda, but they gave her a towel to lie on this morning when she was still there. They thought she was a local dog as their property has no fences, and assumed she had just come for a visit. They were surprised to find out thse was from down on the flats.

AS i wrote on the lost and found thread, my husband said she was very odd when he went ot get her. Tail down, wary of him, almost scared :( . She is never scared of us.

I thought she was broken as she just lay in her bed, until i filled up her outside water bowl and she came running out to 'help' as per usual :-) .

So glad she's home!!!

To answer your question regarding Em off leash...well it's a long story :laugh: Her drive to hunt is through the roof and off any measurable scale BUT she is perfectly fine if she has a job to do (eg retrieving, agility, obedience training and trialling) and then she will ignore everything else (except the one time she brought back a huge dead rabbit in a retrieving trial instead of the correct item of game :eek: Still living that one down :o ). She's not a dog that enjoys going for walks - she prefers to run flat out or sleep - so she gets most of her exercise in training (especially retrieving which is lots of hard running and swimming). Most of the grounds that I use for training are bordered by forest or roads so I am super careful when letting her burn off some steam after training. Even if there is water I am careful as she is just as likely to fetch me up some local bird life. Seriously. Like Rosie, once she goes into hunt mode her ears seal over. Training a loud whistle recall has been brilliant because it seems to pierce the "fog" like my voice can't. I also use a "steady" command before she goes into full on hunt mode, verbally reward her for staying below threshold and always make sure she remains clear of any cover. I have super food rewards for recalling quickly and also reward her for checking in voluntarily. One thing I've noticed with both dogs is that asking them to sit or drop at a distance is often more effective than a recall in an emergency. Whistle sits at a distance are part of Em's retrieving training and Zig is used to drop on recalls. Em is much much worse about a month before coming into season so it's something I'm better prepared for now. That said, I have never nor will I ever, let her off in the forest again no matter how much of a PITA she is to walk. At home we have about 1/4 acre of fenced steep bush so Mr TSD exercises her in there under supervision when I'm away. She gets the very well fenced chook yard (sans chooks) under supervision when she's in season. Little turd that she is :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hope she's back to her usual self soon RosieFT :)

CC thinking about you too. How's Louis doing?

Thanks Tassie :) we had another slight dip in his PCV but the good news is the trend has continued upwards and today's count was 34 :happydance: Since Saturday he has been down to 10mg twice a day of the pred, and he has been so much brighter the past couple of days. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment. His 3-4 times a night pee and drink breaks have dropped to one a night at about 5:30am, so I'm almost getting a full nights sleep as well :D

He's at home tomorrow and then a CBC on Wednesday.

Glad to hear Rosie was found safe and sound :thumbsup: Maybe she will think twice about running off next time :laugh:

CC, hopefully things keep going well for Louis :)

For those who aren't FB friends with OzJen I thought I would also let you know that Jenna crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Friday :cry: OzJen doesn't come on here much any more but I know Jenna was well known. Naughty little Aussie that she could be, she will be missed :(