Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Mas in regards to the thyroid test I hope that it comes back ok... I know a couple of ES who had thyroid issues that showed similar symptoms to spartan with his skin issues.

RS I hope that Ruby is ok - i saw the photos in murdoch - i remember that scene all too well with James. It took so long for them to see him his face swelling went down and we went home :laugh: His was just a bee sting though and since then I've just had antihistamine available for him just in case.

Pups are getting their Vaccs and microchips tonight - eep!!

Thanks, guys. Ruby still has fat lips today, I sure hope they go down soon. I don't have antihistamines and kept telling myself I should get them. BUT, I don't think they will be any good in Ruby's case. She needs a couple of jabs as her reaction is pretty severe. Still, I will get some and keep them in the car so I can at least treat her with something until I get her to a vet. And Millie may need them at some stage.

ST - so James' swelling went down on its own with no treatment (besides antihistamines)?

Here is Ruby about an hour after her first jab (she needed a second one and then some medication to take home with me):

260096_10150219921933036_585378035_7520468_5656877_n.jpg

And her looking all sad (gosh my heart does flip flops looking at my sad girl :()

262326_10150219923493036_585378035_7520499_1932859_n.jpg

My English Setter swells worse than Ruby & generally after jabs takes 2/3 days for all the swelling to go.

It takes him about 5/8 hrs for any real difference to be scene

My young Irish took 3 days a couple of weeks ago for all the swelling to go ,he didn't have a needle but the last bite just took awhile.

My vet just makes up injections that i have at home/car etc but if bitten during vet hrs they go to the vet to monitor heart rate

RS yep James' reactions aren't so bad. The time i took him to murdoch, he had no antihistamines and the swelling started to go down on its own - the second time we gave him antihistamines straight away and there wasn't much swelling at all.

Here he is after he had a reaction to his 12 week vaccination - it hasn't happened since :)

n613624324_2531290_4707532-1.jpg

Edited by SparkyTansy

Poor baby! Is that Ann holding her? How long were you in for? Glad to hear she is nearly back to normal...what a fright. :eek: I'm restocking antihistamines today! I usually have them in the car but have used them all.

Yep that is Ann. She was so lovely to come down and wait with me, eased my stress a bit. I will have to buy some today, can you recommend what brand to buy? I've never bought them before! (for me or the dogs!)

Got in there around 8.40pm, didn't leave til about 10.30pm.

My English Setter swells worse than Ruby & generally after jabs takes 2/3 days for all the swelling to go.

It takes him about 5/8 hrs for any real difference to be scene

My young Irish took 3 days a couple of weeks ago for all the swelling to go ,he didn't have a needle but the last bite just took awhile.

My vet just makes up injections that i have at home/car etc but if bitten during vet hrs they go to the vet to monitor heart rate

I'm glad to hear it's normal then for swelling to take a while to go down. Those photos are of Ruby's best, the swelling was more pronounced when I first took her down. Her eyes were puffy, even her airways were puffy. Now she just has fat lips. She looks so sad!! Vet gave me extra tablets to give her in case it happens again, but I think she'll still need to see a vet if it happens again. Just hopefully not out of vet hours!!!!

RS yep James' reactions aren't so bad. The time i took him to murdoch, he had no antihistamines and the swelling started to go down on its own - the second time we gave him antihistamines straight away and there wasn't much swelling at all.

Here he is after he had a reaction to his 12 week vaccination - it hasn't happened since :)

n613624324_2531290_4707532-1.jpg

Poor James! Ruby's first bee sting reaction was at 16 weeks old. Was James allergic to his vaccination?

Edited by RubyStar

RS he had a reaction to his vacc - apparently it can be common and we were careful when he had his boosters but he didn't have the reaction again.

I wasn't sure if Ruby's initial reaction was her vacc or not as it happened when we got home from her vaccs. She was fine for her booster shots so we put it down to a bee sting (as she did stick her head in a bush when we got out the car!) Silly puppy.

While in the waiting room last night, a woman asked if she was a puppy laugh.gif Then when Ruby stood up, she gasped that she had a waist! eek1.giflaugh.gif

RS even if she requires a vet visit, the sooner you can get anti histamines into her the better. General rule, shove tablets then bolt!!!

I use Claratyne on mine as that is what I use myself. Most human anti-histamines can be given to dogs, you just need the correct dose.

Claratyne is half a mg per kg. The tablets are 10 milligrams so one tablet per 20kgs.

I alsways have them on me for shows etc.

my English his eyes swell so much they shut,even the top of his head swells.

If bitten elsewhere he also swells badly, he also has his lymph glands pronounced in his thighs & throat for about 4/6 months after .

He is getting worse with age but luckily this year we haven't had a bee sting.

We do ice packs as quick as possible