Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

That was my first question this morning once the results came back but the vet is sure it is not poisoning.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Have they considered this?

Rhabdomyolysis also known as:

(Exertional Myopathy, Tying-up, Monday Morning Disease)

This acute exertional myopathy of racing Greyhounds and working dogs is characterized by muscle ischemia secondary to exercise or excitement. Avascularity and lactic acidosis cause muscular lysis, myoglobin release, and a nephropathy.

Clinical signs include muscle pain and swelling 24-72 hr after racing. Severe cases are characterized by stiffness, hyperpnea, collapse, myoglobinemia, and acute renal failure. Urinalysis reveals myoglobinuria; serum potassium, phosphorus, and muscle enzymes are increased. Treatment includes supportive care such as IV fluids, bicarbonate, body cooling, rest, and muscle relaxants (eg, diazepam). Prognosis depends on severity.

Jana didn't say the name but I'd say that this is what she was talking about when she said that you see it sometime in greyhounds a few days after a big race. He hasn't done anything out of the ordinary though to have brought it on. He actually hadn't been walked at all for a few days before hand as we had been really busy with the gift-wrapping stall and me working nights. He was probably last walked about 4-5 nights before Christmas Day.

Jana said that for the next 2 days no news is good news so I'm working on the basis that I haven't heard more so there has been no change. Its very quiet in our house :laugh:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually two or three days after overdoing it - dark tea/ blood urine, and very sore muscles along the saddle.

Annie

well I took Grover's urine to the pathologist today hoping to get more of an answer & yes dark tea/blood was his urine colour but I'm waiting for an answer so i will just wait.

sorry this is Ventrish Trish's oh Steve didn't realize Trish was logged in.

Edited by Trisven13

scary when you dont have a diagnosis.

haemolytic anemia (IMHA) and Acute porphyria( unlikely in dogs i believe) are another two causes.

it is also worthwhile ruling out systemic lupus erythematosus.. symptoms inlcude amongst many others -- rash and painless hematuria or proteinuria may often be the only presenting renal symptom.

i am not a vet but have had dogs who have suffered weird illness that have taken a while to dx.

sending many positive thoughts

H

That was my first question this morning once the results came back but the vet is sure it is not poisoning.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Have they considered this?

Rhabdomyolysis also known as:

(Exertional Myopathy, Tying-up, Monday Morning Disease)

This acute exertional myopathy of racing Greyhounds and working dogs is characterized by muscle ischemia secondary to exercise or excitement. Avascularity and lactic acidosis cause muscular lysis, myoglobin release, and a nephropathy.

Clinical signs include muscle pain and swelling 24-72 hr after racing. Severe cases are characterized by stiffness, hyperpnea, collapse, myoglobinemia, and acute renal failure. Urinalysis reveals myoglobinuria; serum potassium, phosphorus, and muscle enzymes are increased. Treatment includes supportive care such as IV fluids, bicarbonate, body cooling, rest, and muscle relaxants (eg, diazepam). Prognosis depends on severity.

Jana didn't say the name but I'd say that this is what she was talking about when she said that you see it sometime in greyhounds a few days after a big race. He hasn't done anything out of the ordinary though to have brought it on. He actually hadn't been walked at all for a few days before hand as we had been really busy with the gift-wrapping stall and me working nights. He was probably last walked about 4-5 nights before Christmas Day.

Jana said that for the next 2 days no news is good news so I'm working on the basis that I haven't heard more so there has been no change. Its very quiet in our house :(

Great to hear that no he seems to have stabilised. Hope he continues to improve.

He may not have needed to have been walked for Rhabdomyolysis to occur. If he got overexcited or ran around in the heat in the preceeding days it could have happened. As you were working he may have been up to something you don't know about.

From what I know about it, sometimes it can affect the heart muscle. I remember many years ago a dog was lost to it after doing two major shows in a few days with a lot of travelling between. He was very successful at both shows and it was hot but not extreme heat. Running around a show ring is nothing like a race and nothing seemed amiss until a 24 hours after the second show. He collapsed and was rushed from his home in the country to a Uni Vet clinic but the drive took several hours. I quizzed my vet at the time about it (he was a greyhound vet) and found out that in greyhounds it usually affects the back and thigh muscles but there can be a rare complication of break down of the heart muscle. The vet said he had heard of it in several breeds (hounds, gundogs and working dogs) and from a variety of causes and that most dogs survive it if the heart is not badly damaged by it.

Because of our nasty neighbour our dogs are not ever left outside when we aren't at home so he wouldn't have had the opportunity to run around - :( - lucky dog was inside in the AC!! :laugh:

We couldn't wait and rang the vet and he is slowly improving. His urine is heading back to normal but he is still going to need another couple of days on the drip. Steve is desperate to go and see him but it will just excite him too much.

Everything is now pointing towards some kind of toxin from some kind of animal/insect. As snake is ruled out the most likely culprit is spider and, to be honest, I'm thinking poodlefan might be right and he has ingested the venom. Whatever has caused it, he has had a severe anaphylactic reaction. Each day is seeing improvement though so we're hopeful he will be home and safe soon.

Hi Trisven, so happy to read that Grover is progressing well & showing signs of improvement.

Several years ago my elderly MIL was bitten by what is presumed a redback spider. It was Christmas Eve & we had taken her around to visit her niece where there was a bit of a family gathering. Everyone was sitting outside on outdoor furniture.

In the middle of the night she rang to say she was in excruciating pain, was unable to feel her legs, had the sweats & was covered in a rash. Needless to say we rang the ambulance & that particular Christmas day was spent at the hospital. The Dr on duty, after running tests, thought MIL had ben bitten by a redback spider..... possibly it was lurking in the cushions or underneath the chair which was stored outside.

Just wondering if Grover has come across a spider somewhere?

hope you get some happy conclusion to this xmas adventure

just stopped by to check in and so glad to find that Grover has improved

hope it keeps heading in the right direction and you can start the new year in happier moods

nothing like a sick doggie to drag everyones heart down to the boots

I'm thinking poodlefan might be right and he has ingested the venom. Whatever has caused it, he has had a severe anaphylactic reaction.

You mean he may have eaten a spider?? :(

Silly big bugger! Glad he's still gradually on the mend. :laugh:

I'm thinking poodlefan might be right and he has ingested the venom. Whatever has caused it, he has had a severe anaphylactic reaction.

You mean he may have eaten a spider?? :confused:

Silly big bugger! Glad he's still gradually on the mend. :)

Well he's stupid enough to do it :thumbsup: . Steve has sprayed everywhere for spiders and killed at least one white tail so who knows.