Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything is possible poodlefan I suppose. I have NEVER seen a snake in our yard but that doesn't mean we haven't had one as we have a reserve behind us. Just waiting on the pathology results which we are told we should have in another hour or so. Steve said that the urine was really dark, almost black, and just didn't look like urine :) . Poor Big Stupid.

I am not a vet, but very dark urine can be a result of dead red blood cells from haemolytic anaemia, which in turn can be triggered by a toxic shock of some kind like an insect bite or eating a baited animal. Has the vet mentioned this? No need to reply btw, I'm just chucking ideas out there in case it triggers something useful.

That was my first question this morning once the results came back but the vet is sure it is not poisoning.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Have they considered this?

Rhabdomyolysis also known as:

(Exertional Myopathy, Tying-up, Monday Morning Disease)

This acute exertional myopathy of racing Greyhounds and working dogs is characterized by muscle ischemia secondary to exercise or excitement. Avascularity and lactic acidosis cause muscular lysis, myoglobin release, and a nephropathy.

Clinical signs include muscle pain and swelling 24-72 hr after racing. Severe cases are characterized by stiffness, hyperpnea, collapse, myoglobinemia, and acute renal failure. Urinalysis reveals myoglobinuria; serum potassium, phosphorus, and muscle enzymes are increased. Treatment includes supportive care such as IV fluids, bicarbonate, body cooling, rest, and muscle relaxants (eg, diazepam). Prognosis depends on severity.

Have just read the whole thread, and yes - acidocis (rhabdomyolysis) is exactly what I was thinking.

Outward symptoms - usually two or three days after overdoing it - dark tea/ blood urine, and very sore muscles along the saddle.

Anyway, hope he recovers quickly.

Annie

That was my first question this morning once the results came back but the vet is sure it is not poisoning.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Have they considered this?

Rhabdomyolysis also known as:

(Exertional Myopathy, Tying-up, Monday Morning Disease)

This acute exertional myopathy of racing Greyhounds and working dogs is characterized by muscle ischemia secondary to exercise or excitement. Avascularity and lactic acidosis cause muscular lysis, myoglobin release, and a nephropathy.

Clinical signs include muscle pain and swelling 24-72 hr after racing. Severe cases are characterized by stiffness, hyperpnea, collapse, myoglobinemia, and acute renal failure. Urinalysis reveals myoglobinuria; serum potassium, phosphorus, and muscle enzymes are increased. Treatment includes supportive care such as IV fluids, bicarbonate, body cooling, rest, and muscle relaxants (eg, diazepam). Prognosis depends on severity.

That came to my mind too.

How is he going Trish?