To Clip Or Not To Clip?

mutt lover

Ok here's my question and my opinion on this subject re my dog Lady! Lady is? well could be maltese x silky terrier, now she doesn't quite get a coat like a maltese more the silky terrier coat but a bit thicker and she does feel the heat so I have always clipped her in the hot weather. I was abused by a lady at a pet shop the other week who told me that she didn't need clipping and that in her opinion most dogs don't need clipping that their fur acts as an insulator against the heat and if my dog was inside with air con on on hot days then why do I clip her.

My answer to that was because she gets distressed in the hot weather and I can tell when I clip her that it does make her feel cooler/more comfortable in the hot weather.post-31607-1263517951_thumb.jpgpost-31607-1263517917_thumb.jpg

Edited by mutt lover

If you want to clip your dog then you go right ahead and boo hoo to the pet shop! If your dog was a pure breed with correct coat I would say no need to clip as, yes, the coat should insulate for hot and cold weather.

You just keep looking after your dog as you are as you seem to be doing alright :eek:

Was the person who abused you a qualified groomer? The Poodle coat, which is wool, DOES insulate them against the heat to a certain extent, but I still have mine clipped down in summer, just not shaved to the skin! My friend, who is a groomer with over 20 years experience, clips her Maltese short in summer because they get heat stress if the coat is left long. Sounds like the person you spoke to didn't really know what she was talking about!

Sounds like the person you spoke to didn't really know what she was talking about!

Apart from that, what an arrogant ignoramus :eek::eek::eek:

Trying to second guess how you can be abused/questioned/accused is reaching ridiculous heights. I collected Silvie from the vet this morning (after desexing) and then I had to do a quick message. I left her in the car and contemplated writing a message to put on my dash for anyone concerned about a dog in a car ..... it was totally overcast and cooler in the car than outside having had the aircon on for a while. I was probably gone for a maximum 5 minutes and it was still cooler in the car than outside - LOL.

I didn't leave a message.

What a rude human.......hope you didn't spend any money there!!

Some people don't know their arse for their elbow :eek:

Same as poodlemum I clip my lot down for summer & have previously clipped many breeds. A thick matted "insulating" coat does nothing for the dog.

Lady looks like a sweetie.....with a very tidy haircut!

I was abused by a lady at a pet shop the other week who told me that she didn't need clipping and that in her opinion most dogs don't need clipping that their fur acts as an insulator against the heat and if my dog was inside with air con on on hot days then why do I clip her.

Same reason she goes to a hairdresser to get a haircut. Unless she has hair down to her ankles.

Choice re ease for care & cleanliness, control of wee beasties, more access for skin to air.

What business is it of a complete stranger anyways? If Lady is happy nad feels more comfortable with her short hair, then that's all that matters, right?

I wouldn't have bothered to dignify that woman's comments with an answer myself...

T.

In my experience (based on my poodle) the insulator theory doesn't work.

Since it is always hot up here, I know exactly when Bruno's clip is overdue, because he starts to pant a lot and prefer to sleep on the concrete instead on his bed. He is also less active. I normally clip his body short (#7) and after the clip he is much happier and more active.

Ok here's my question and my opinion on this subject re my dog Lady! Lady is? well could be maltese x silky terrier, now she doesn't quite get a coat like a maltese more the silky terrier coat but a bit thicker and she does feel the heat so I have always clipped her in the hot weather. I was abused by a lady at a pet shop the other week who told me that she didn't need clipping and that in her opinion most dogs don't need clipping that their fur acts as an insulator against the heat and if my dog was inside with air con on on hot days then why do I clip her.

My answer to that was because she gets distressed in the hot weather and I can tell when I clip her that it does make her feel cooler/more comfortable in the hot weather.post-31607-1263517951_thumb.jpgpost-31607-1263517917_thumb.jpg

My dog is a cross too and he does have some wirey "protective" fur on the top layer - about 5 hairs :love: He doesn't enjoy the Adelaide summer while wearing his thick wool coat, and I don't blame him. I tried getting it thinned out but didn't do much. And how do I know this? Because I, like you, are the ones who observe our pets behaviour in the heat!

What an annoying b%t%h!

I had a silky terrier cross growing up and we always clipped her, because of the fact that she was such an active dog and spent her days hunting lizzards in the garden she would always end up with with twigs, burs and matted knots when her fur was left long.

I remember once getting abused by an old lady about her cut fur as well, she started telling me that if I lived in england I would have been arrested. :love: That lady was definately a bit of a crazy though.

In the Belgian clipping would do more harm than good as the double coat has a dual purpose in that it keeps the Belgian cool in summer and warm in winter. Not sure about other breeds though as I aonly know my own. :confused:

I do clip mine around the feet and inbetween the toes as it's easier to keep their feet clean and avoids anything getting stuck inbetween their pads such s mud in winter or grass spears/seeds in summer.

Either way in your case it's irrelevant because whether she was right or wrong it still doesn't give her the right to be rude. :love:

Edited by ~Midniara~

Indeed, a rude troglodyte, for sure.

However, it is a myth that the dog's coat insulates it from the heat. If that were true, why do you think animals would shed their "winter" coats in summer?

What the coat DOES do is SHADE the skin from the sun. Dog skin is not used to being exposed, so it burns easily.

It doesn't take a lot of hair to do this "shading". A 7F will leave more than enough, unless the dog has an extraordinarily thin coat. A light shirt(like a kiddies T-shirt) can help, as well.

It won't hurt the coat to clip it. It will grow back just fine, as I am sure you know. I think it is more a matter of aesthetics that brings folks to shudder at clipping off a double coated dog. I did this to my Border Collies the first year after we moved to a much warmer, humid climate than they were used to. It gave them a great deal of relief and you could never tell within a year that it had ever been clipped.

Ultimately it is your choice to clip or not to clip. I do not think either side of the fence will ever agree with the other side. More like a case of agree to disagree.

Clipping does change the texture and structure of the coat. Similar to people shaving. It grows back thicker, more wirey and quicker. I have a friend who is a groomer and she said the under body clip is becoming popular as they only clip the belly and leave the rest, it for the most part does not look like a dog has been clipped

I have BC's and one of mine has just grown her coat back after having pups mid last year. It is nice, thick and lustrous. It also has been quite hot here in Brisbane these last weeks. Still I have not clipped, nor do I clip my BC's and advise my puppy buyers not to clip unless it is for veterinary reasons or in some cases they live in high paralysis tick areas and it then becomes a safety and well being issue.

Some people sware clipping helps their dogs through the summer months. Others say they see no difference in their pets. My ex said his husky felt the heat more once clipped. He thought it would help him and after having it done said never again.

I have two of those clam shells filled with water. They get filled and dug out almost daily. Wet towels on those shadecloth beds and 2ltr frozen ice blocks on the hottest of hot days.

As a groomer there are breeds that do need clipping BUT many breeds people do clip that shouldnt .

Most say because they think there dog gets hotter in summer.

because it pants it must be hot.Dogs pant to regulate there system,its normal behaviour.

Showdogs all around the world remain in full coats with no issues.

The reality is you either want to brush the coat or you dont.if you dont want to brush then the dog is better off than being a matted mess but from the grooming side of things clipping off is for the owners convenience not the dogs.

The pet shop owner is a tosser any way because there can be many reasons why a dog has been clipped that need to be considered & above all it isnt her business

We always educate all clients into there options & outcome on non traditional clipped of breeds & then they are informed to decide either way but the most common reason of late is to stop the hair shedding ( Labs,Rotties etc etc)

If that were true, why do you think animals would shed their "winter" coats in summer?

Mine dont shed there winter coats & only a small handful of breeds do .Also remember the coat dop is the excess under coat not the good coat you clip off .

understanding how a coat works isnt a myth

Thanks to everyone for all you're replies, and yes Poodle Mum she is a sweetie but as bossy and demanding as all get up but at 17 that tells me she's still doing ok. (Getting barked at now cause she thinks it's dinner time) :love:

Oh and I don't clip cause I can't be bothered brushing her , when her coat is long she gets a brush and comb every night just find it easier to maintain in summer living on a farm with all the bindi's and other crap in the grass here this time of year.

Interesting a friend told me today same pet shop lady told her she shouldn't clip her sheltie either but like me she finds it easier being on a farm with a short coat, said she just left whatever she was going to buy on the counter and walked out. :confused:

When I was looking for a career change I looked into grooming.

I went around to different salons in different suburbs just to check them out.

I was also given the opportunity to have a chat and hang around some of the salons to see if it was the way I wanted to go.

I was gobbed smacked at the types of breeds that were getting their whole coats shaved off. Yes it's personal choice

but I just didn't get it.

Anything from German Shepherds, Huskies, Golden Ret, Poms and the list goes on.

And the poor little fluffies, their heads and tails looked good but their little bodies were pink under what little fluff they had left. Too short IMO.

Wasn't for me. Couldn't stand the noise of the dryers and the fact that they were kept in cages with the dryers on them.