Do Your Dog/s Reflect Their Sex?

Pollywaffle

Probably a bit left field this....

Interested in your opinions, we have a female Pomeranian and a male Maltese and I was looking at them both recently and decided that our female was every inch the young lady, extremely pretty (no bias!) and very feminine, yet our male dog acts every inch the ‘man’. He’s got bags of attitude and looks/acts very manly. Do you think that I’m projecting my knowledge of their sex/gender onto them, or do male and female dogs genuinely reflect the attributes of their sex?

I guess it depends on the breed too! You see little woofers that are so obviously little men, and big boofers that are bouncy girls. Apparently Sophie is not gender specific - lol. I get so sick of people asking me "how old is he" hehe. Hello, PINK LEAD, PINK COLLAR, PINK RHINESTONE NAMETAG, sigh. I think it's cause she's still a bit on a bouncy puppy and people assume she's a boy.

Yep, China is a bitch - through and through. Her daughter is a cow so does this count :rofl:

Well, that sounds as though your 'girl's have got the female attributes covered! Are there any 'bitches' out there who are loving and nurturing - as all good women should be?

We had 2 shelties that were the opposite. Danny, the boy, was sweet, dainty & biddable. Shelley, the girl was bossy, self-centred & big.

Strangers were forever thinking that Danny was a girl & that Shelley was a boy.

Their nicknames tell the story, too....Danny's was Saint Danny and Shelley's was The Horse.

But they were both much loved.

we have a red male bc (desexed - not that you could tell either way due to the amount of fur lol)

anyway since the day we picked him up, every single person who we have ever meet as said 'oh isnt she beautiful' or 'whats her name she is lovely'

so based on that, i guess no :rofl:

although i have never owned any other dogs, looked after plenty of them but always took there behaviours to be part of there personality and not a reflection of there gender tho (if that makes sense)

Charlie is very very pretty for a male dog... i think it's the bushy tail and his eyelashes!

Personality wise... he reminds me of a little boy who loves getting dirty, loves collecting and chasing bugs and a total mama's boy.

Bubby is very handsome and quite the gentleman, plus he has rippling muscles and looks manly so I think he reflects his gender.

Bitty is pretty appearance wise but she's a tomboy by nature. She's very snorty, snores like a banshee and acts like a bit of a broad so I dont think she's very lady-like at all.

My girl is known as "precious paws" around the traps. She's ultra feminine and a total comfort queen so you can forget about showing her if its cold and wet.

Beautiful she may be but unfortunately she's a bit of a dim wit and there's not much going on between the ears :rofl:

post-1582-1264644284_thumb.jpg

mmm lets see Hudson is all boy as in looks and behavier. Maya is all girl in looks and loves doing girlie things including dressing up :thumbsup: . Tyrah is a tom boy and a bitch and then there is Billy looks girly hates anyone or anything touching his feet and scream's like a girl when the other dogs pick on him so i guess billy is very much the gay dog :thumbsup:

I have a male and female border collies.

Charlie is very laid back and easily pushed around but is more muscly than Maddy.

Maddy has a "prettier and smaller" face but she is the bitchy, boss and is definately not dainty as her muddy photo testifies.

She is the first into the river, to try something new etc. Charlie just follows her lead.

post-9068-1264650081_thumb.jpg

Everyone just "knows" that Daina is a girl. She definitely thinks she is a princess. I think she looks very feminine.

Muddy has been called a girl once but that's because I had Daina's pink harness on him :thumbsup: Now that he's older I think he looks masculine. Even with his gorgeous long coat.

Sarge is confusing. I think he looks like a boy but if he is out walking with Daina, everyone thinks he is her mum. If he is with Muddy or Elle or on his own everyone thinks he's a boy.

Thankfully mine look like their sex.

Mistral is a big boofhead boy, with the attitude to go with it and Miss Alchemy is very much a lady, delicate and just a little bit precious :thumbsup:

Having said this its important in my breed for the girls and boys to look like what they are.