Leaving More Than 1 Dog At Home Alone

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 ment to be secure runs in the back yard half covered for protection with a dog house. They get a treat if it is a long day stay but nothing otherwise. THe treat is usually a bone for mental stimulation

My whiley one tried to dig through the mesh and has minced her front paws - little bugger. Her pen is mesh top bottom and sides and she still escapes.

Whereas my younger one has mesh on the sides and couldnt care less.

If it is just a short trip to the shops then I shut them in a room without a word or put them in their crates and leave. Not sentimental here b/c of separation anxiety.

Ah shucks why do I get the dog that barks in protest when I leave :thumbsup: :thumbsup: At least it's never longer than 5 minutes LOL

I am adopting a greyhound!! :confused:

My Miss Molly barks when i leave the house, it is like she is telling me she is not happy with me going and not taking her. I try to leave the house with as little fuss as possible..

We take them over to the kennels and lock them in.

Actually they take us over to the kennels, bounce around a whole lot, race into their kennels and wait for us to shut the gate.

My dogs adore being over there while we are out for some reason, but god help us if we are home and they are in the kennels :thumbsup:

I will say bye but thats about it.

I have 4 adults and 1 13 week old puppy - the adults range in ages from 14.5 yrs down to 3 yrs. They are all left at home together and I just walk out the door and leave them. They are all still alive and seemingly unmolested when I get home again. My house has been a multiple dog home for over 14 years now.

Because we added a puppy not so long ago (nearly six months old)..........It was a bit nerve racking to leave at first. the first times were with Katy crated for short periods, 1/2 hour onto an hour and a few longer periods. When she was fully potty trained we did the same again. We make absolutely no fuss when we leave. We often just say "stay" when one goes with us to the door. But mostly they just lie and look at us leaving or as newfies often do, just keep on sleeping. we don't make much fuss when we get home either.

We do have an outside kennel room and run, which we use when we go away for very long periods of ten hours or if it is very hot. Because the run has a beautiful deciduous tree in it and they have their little pet pool to play in. But mostly they are indoors........Sometimes you just have to "bite the bullet" and trust them............Good luck

They are actually quite keen on going out before I leave because I leave bottles / treat balls etc... with kibble scattered in the yard for them. It's more to keep them mentally stimulated than anything (Archie is highly strung and suffers from OCD). If Archie has to stay out by himself all day, I might give him a higher value treat (turkey neck, frozen chicken wing) but wouldn't do that with the two of them together to avoid fights.

If I leave them for a shorter period of time (eg on the week-end) they are inside with the cat or outside, and no special fuss made.

We just leave and try not to make a fuss about it. I have had Jet whinge a bit but I just ignore him and continue with leaving.

I'm with you. Just leave without any fuss. The more you make, the worse it is. They know we're coming back, and now they're just used to it. If it's a nice day, we leave them outside, but most times at night they are inside.

I feel a bit bad :laugh: I just put them both outside, close the door, gather my things and leave :rofl: Sometimes they see me go, sometimes they don't, I never say anything to them.

Me too.

Neighbours tell me that one of them whinges at the door for a few minutes, then realises I'm really gone and they settle for the day. A far bit of playing together and a lot of sleeping. I do leave food with mine, but they never fight over food. They never fight at all. Most people can't safely do this though.

When one was a little puppy she was crated inside, just so there was no excessively rough play, with me coming home every few hours to feed and toilet her. But they outgrow that pretty quickly. On very hot days they are all left inside with the air conditioning programmed to come on in the afternoon. They can be left inside for a full working day with no damage or accidents but I avoid doing it usually.

Edited by Diva

My two try to shove me out the door every morning!

The little one gets 4 different treat boxes/empty bottles/a big bone and something buried in the yard.

The big one lives inside and gets a breakky bowl, a box to rip up and a treat cup.

Routine is make big one do a sit stay. Take little one outside, give little on her bone, recall her and proceed to give her all her goodie items which she carries into the yard one by one. She then turns her back to us and chews on her bones and we close the back door.

Then we call big one over, give him his breakky bowl. While he eats this we scatter his box and cup around the house. Leave and close front door while he is still eating.

They are so used to this and expect/want us to leave every morning so they can get their loot!

I have always avoided using treats when I leave because I don't want to reward sooky behaviour!! My routine is getting up at 6.20, walking my dog 6.30-7.30, allow him to lie down on the floor and watch me while I get ready and he cools down, then feed and outside at 8 and I'm off to work. I avoid saying goodbye cause I don't want to make a big deal about leaving and I figure by now he knows that I will be home in a few hours!!

Ours get treats most of the time. They don't get Kongs anymore as Erik likes to hoard. I highly doubt we would ever have a fight break out because Kivi has no backbone and doesn't want anything in the world enough to fight about it, but it's not fair on him to have anything in there that Erik is willing to fight about because Erik will take it one way or another. So normally we give them a biscuit each or a pig's ear or a bit of beef tendon. I'm assuming they don't fight over the ears and tendon because Kivi will actually take them from us without cringing and Erik doesn't usually make more than one attempt to check out Kivi's before settling down with his.

We use treats so dogs know that us leaving for the day = good. No troubles with them, then. We rarely give them anything if we're only going for a few hours and they don't make a scene, so our treat giving is probably not necessary, but given our neighbours hate barking dogs at 7:30am when we are leaving, seems the safest bet to just shove something in their mouths just in case. :rofl: