Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I actually think that CCD has its place and a couple of weeks ago I did my first CCD not for competition round, taking in a very baby dog to see where he was at.

I spoke to the judge as I went in said no fast or slow pace and happy for a shortened heel round. So NFC is like a training round only you can't use food or toys in the ring. So although I have a few years of experience under my belt, I thought this was a great way to introduce the very novice dog to the ring in a really really positive way, and I have to say that I learnt a lot about the dog taking him in.

Something I did learn was that I hadn't done enough on lead training so when I did the SFE and tried to put the lead on the right side of his head as I returned, this made him move all 4 feet, so guess what we have been practicing, flicking arms and hands and leads in all different directions with lots of treats for not moving......

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree Ptolomy I think CCD has its place, I knew that Mason wouldnt run off in the ring but it was like an extra confidence boost knowing that I had him on lead so if anything went wrong ( besides recall) it could not be that bad lol :rofl: I must say that I am very nervous and hesitant about novice. I entered him in a novice NFC club trial and he would have failed sadly, he had a really off day - that was about 2 months ago.

We don't have NFC here so there goes that idea :p

I did enjoy CCD while I was doing it. Especially for first time triallers I think it is very valuable.

The main issue I've seen down here is that people can do really well in CCD then have real difficulty with Novice.

We don't have NFC here so there goes that idea :p

I did enjoy CCD while I was doing it. Especially for first time triallers I think it is very valuable.

The main issue I've seen down here is that people can do really well in CCD then have real difficulty with Novice.

Yeah I think I may have difficulty with novice but I am going to persevere and give it a go

I definitely gained a lot of experience doing CCD with Ziggy. I guess Em is a bit different in that she will be running in retrieving trials before she does obedience. Time wise it's tough to fit everything in (with agility as well) and I won't trial her until she is well and truly ready. There's still a place for it, I agree.

So tonight's training = thumbsup1.gif

If I could bottle Ruby's enthusiasm to work tonight, I would have! :D

She was pushing me in the heelwork, did a lovely seekback, speedy to the box, nailed all 3 scent articles, my baby girl was just brimming with enthusiasm :D

Gloves still need work, as do signals (as her strong point is verbal commands, not signals eek1.gif) and I haven't started teaching directed jumping yet. Still a load of proofing to do, but I must say UD is coming along nicely! :D

Millie's signal heelwork on the other hand is good, but she's decided dropping in the box is the thing to do now laugh.gif Seekback isn't as strong as Ruby's, and her scent seems to be making a reappearance after we lost it for a while. Oh and gloves need work too laugh.gif

Just had to share what a great training night I had! smile.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Nice one RS, gotta love good training sessions :D

I must admit I'm not really looking forward to Open. I'm struggling a bit with the retrieves still and out of sight stays are scary. I think both Ava and I will enjoy UD training much more but I have to get the retrieving going before starting that :hitself:

Once a week I meet up with m boss who is an ex trialler. Only an ex because he doesnt have a dog at the moment. So he runs us through the paces and if there is anything I want to work on we do and anything he picks up on that needs work we go through. This morning we went through our turns. Ramses keeps going wide in our left turns and we have worked out why.

My footwork plays a major part in the turns so I will be working on that with and without the dog to get it up to scratch!

Anyone else get a pattern in their trial numbers? :laugh: I have 2 number 8's and now a number 4! :laugh:.

Wuffles my footwork always throws my dogs turns, i get it right in training but in the ring i feel nervous and then it all goes out the window.

RS i only tend to get real enthusiasm out of mason during retrieving training, he is like a different dog and i am actually wondering if its worth pursuing the obedience, i enjoy it and want to do it but he is less keen- i am less keen on retrieving but that is what he loves and was bred for. Tough decision. I will do novice and see how it goes though.

I must admit I'm not really looking forward to Open. I'm struggling a bit with the retrieves still and out of sight stays are scary. I think both Ava and I will enjoy UD training much more but I have to get the retrieving going before starting that :hitself:

Yep the good training sessions are what keep me going with this whole crazy dog trialling thing! What is also great is we were working right next to an agility class, distractions galore! And neither of my kiddies were fussed that other dogs were running and jumping nearby, they had clearly decided that I was more fun and rewarding to be with :) That is such a win!

I ran the girls over an agility course once each before i left for home, and let's just say that while they were both still eager (we had been there over 2 hours already), my agility handling skills need major work laugh.gif And a tunnel under the A-Frame was just too much for their little brains :D But they had good parts in the mess we made of it so it's all good :D

Where are you at with the retrieving? Anything we can help with? Open is fun! But I can't wait for UD :D

Yep the good training sessions are what keep me going with this whole crazy dog trialling thing! What is also great is we were working right next to an agility class, distractions galore! And neither of my kiddies were fussed that other dogs were running and jumping nearby, they had clearly decided that I was more fun and rewarding to be with :) That is such a win!

I ran the girls over an agility course once each before i left for home, and let's just say that while they were both still eager (we had been there over 2 hours already), my agility handling skills need major work laugh.gif And a tunnel under the A-Frame was just too much for their little brains :D But they had good parts in the mess we made of it so it's all good :D

Where are you at with the retrieving? Anything we can help with? Open is fun! But I can't wait for UD :D

Yes RS you have a great relationship with your dogs if you are more exciting than other dogs doing agility nearby :D

I am still getting dumbbell mouthing in the retrieve and struggling to make it fun for her (not a natural retriever) unless it's over a jump, amongst a few other more minor things. On the flat sometimes she just wanders out about half way then stops. In part of my 'making it fun' I only do very short sessions with the dumbbell so that makes things very slow and with a number of different issues to separate and tackle it's a bit overwhelming :o I think I need to talk to one of the experienced triallers at our club and see if they will work through the individual issues with me.

Hi,

I feel like such a numpty posting here-- you got people with titles and then you have me :o.

Today I had a great 2 walks with Brennan. On both walks she was loose lead, gave me some focus without even being prompted. Her sits when I stop moving are becoming more reliable, although she is still sitting anywhere from just behind me to a little bit out from my left leg. I am sure that when we return to Obedience classes in October that we can work on this some more.

Our second walk we passed a dog in its yard barking at her. We actually walked a bit closer ( only fifteen feet away), I got her to sit just before hit the next property and asked her to focus and also to drop. She managed to sit/drop and focus a mere fifteen feet from a dog barking at her. A few times she went to look at the dog but I did some body blocking. We spent no more then a minute doing this then carried on walking with a HUGE spring in our step and LOTS of praise :D .

My friend who has Brennan's ''best friends'' ( 2 Belgian Tervurens) is interested in going to Obedience class too and had been looking to go to the same Obedience club in Salisbury that I want to go to. It works out well for me, I was going to ask her to drive me to Obedience ( give her petrol money) and had felt bad about asking given that class is on Sunday mornings and she works, but given that she wants to go too I can just worry about making her take my petrol money :laugh:.

So tonight's training = thumbsup1.gif

If I could bottle Ruby's enthusiasm to work tonight, I would have! :D

She was pushing me in the heelwork, did a lovely seekback, speedy to the box, nailed all 3 scent articles, my baby girl was just brimming with enthusiasm :D

Gloves still need work, as do signals (as her strong point is verbal commands, not signals eek1.gif) and I haven't started teaching directed jumping yet. Still a load of proofing to do, but I must say UD is coming along nicely! :D

Millie's signal heelwork on the other hand is good, but she's decided dropping in the box is the thing to do now laugh.gif Seekback isn't as strong as Ruby's, and her scent seems to be making a reappearance after we lost it for a while. Oh and gloves need work too laugh.gif

Just had to share what a great training night I had! smile.gif

+1 RS

We had the most fantastic training session ourselves tonight. :thumbsup:

The pocket rocket was amazing so happy, of course she can always bring me back to earth when she wants to..

Brennans mum we all have our own hanidcaps and hurdles to overcome and whats great about this thread is that you can post here and nobody is going to judge you - they are more likely to pat you on the back and say ...well done mate.

I think Rally Valley can vouch for what I am saying.

and the bestest bit is that we can all watch you grow :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work and keep posting ;)