Washing The Dogs

leopuppy04

well I've now moved house and with not enough money to buy a hydro *g* I'm trying to see how you all wash your dogs.

I used to wash ours outside with a hose connector to the laundry tap which was great (although the hose leaked!) as the dogs could have a lovely warm wash. This connector twisted into the tap which was great.

My new taps for the bath are those which don't have twisty grooves - so you just have to slip something on or something like that (descriptions are great aren't they!). Does anyone have any ideas on what type of hose to buy?

the only thing I can think of are those hose connectors from Kmart or soemthing, but they have always met with a lot of complaints before! any suggestions would be great! :thumbsup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wash Riley in the backyard - I've got one of those hose nozzles that you can change - I put it on "shower" and do it on the grass.

Lucky for me he's pretty good and just stands there til Im done.

Edited by wagsalot

Prior to work having a hydrobath, I used one of the plastic shower attachment hoses you get from KMart etc in the bath. It was a pain getting it on the end of the forcet though, but once I did, it worked a treat for a good couple of years.

Was awesome for washing my hair when I had a hot bath too :thumbsup:

I changed the shower head to a hand held one which can be hung up when i have a shower. Also got an extra long hose for it. I bath all my dogs in the shower recess using the hand held shower nozzle. Its excellent in winter as there is one of those heater light things in the bathroom. In my last house i switched the bath spout for a hand held shower head, this house doesn't have a bath just a shower. Works really well for both large and small dogs.

Thanks guys. I'm looking more for a hose connector. Like I said - mine used to twist in which was perfect, but this one won't support that.

Might have to get the Kmart one afterall :thumbsup:.

am planning on using the bath, or our current outside bath for them... I just need the hose connector! :thumbsup:

stormie - how did you get the connector on? Was it really difficult?!

Oscar goes into the bath and I use a hand held attachment on him. Patch and Lilly go to visit 4 Paws and she washes them in her hydrobath for me :thumbsup:

Reminds me - I can't remember the last time they had a bath :thumbsup:

I had a plumber put hot and cold water tap fittings to the exterior vertical 'wall' of my outdoor decking. I use a hose and wash my dog either just while he's standing on the lawn or if the ground is likely to get too muddy, then I get him to stand in a clam shell pool. I don't suds my dog with shampoo as I don't think that really helps their skin, but if he's taken a dip in the local man-made lake, I like to get the smelly water and smell out of his coat, so I just use plain water. The used water goes to the lawn so this method is especially good in the hotter, drier weather.

I don't do this outside when it is too cold weather wise. If I do need to bath him (eg. Full calendula tea wash) I put some water in the bath tub (non-slip mats at the base) and just bath him over in that. I have used the rubber hose shower attachment to rinse, but the shape of my taps don't allow it to stay on, so I have to hold it in place with one hand, hold my dog in place with the other and somehow manouver the shower attachment over the dog with the other (3rd?) hand, LOL. I sometimes instead use an icecream container to pour over to rinse. Most of the time I don't need to rinse though, because of the fact that I don't use shampoos. More cleaning up though, using the bathroom :thumbsup:.

Edited by Erny

We use one of those rubber ones in the bath too, the trick is too heat up the bit that goes on the tap in hot water first then it's easy. You can also use one of those hose clamps to clap them in place too.

Us too :thumbsup:

I bought mine from the supermarket for about $5, looks similar to this:

We use one of those rubber ones in the bath too, the trick is too heat up the bit that goes on the tap in hot water first then it's easy. You can also use one of those hose clamps to clap them in place too.

Us too :thumbsup:

I bought mine from the supermarket for about $5, looks similar to this:

I use one of these too, in the laundry tub for Leia as she is small enough to fit in there.

I wash Archer in the spa bath in my brother's bathroom, which is disgusting enough already that a few stray dog hairs won't be noticed. It has a shower over the bath with a detachable shower head on a hose.

I've made an indoor hydrobath for the BCs (the Bullmastiff doesn't fit, so he gets a cold hose in the yard :thumbsup: ).

Bought enough stick on mats to cover the base (to prevent scratches and stop pooch slipping) and changed the bath tap to one of these hand showers -> 1708040.jpg

A bit more permanent solution and I can change the way the water comes out.

Edited by molasseslass

We use Sam's clamshell pool . I tip in buckets of warm water so its not too cold for him. Of course I always check the water temp with my elbow :thumbsup:

Ditto, I will tie Jet up to something like the fence as he likes to escape and make me chase him too! :thumbsup:

Bunnings sell clap on rather than twist on hose connectors for inside taps. They don't stay on brilliantly though. Do you have outside access from the laundry room? I have an attachment for the washing machine taps that I am not using, it you want to try that.

I saw these on ebay and thought it looked interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-Stainless-6...=item1c12a5301f

As you are planning to be there a while I would personally get the hot & cold tapes put outside. I've got a hydrobath and am considering getting taps as well as I find it painful to wait for water to heat up.