One Of My Worst Nightmares Has Happened.

baifra

My parents have spent the last three weeks on a holiday of a lifetime overseas and I was looking after their two dogs Phoebe the Rotty and Belle the Stafford.

I would go over to Mum and Dad's place twice a day to spend time with them and feed them in the afternoon. Everyday Phoebe, 9 years and I would curl up on the couch together and watch tv while she shared my cushion and enjoyed her belly scratches.

On Friday afternnoon I was rushed and didn't get time to feed them at their regular time so My OH went over there at about 7pm. Five minutes later he rang me in a panic asking me for the number of an after hours emergency vet. Phoebe had ingested a lot of snail bait and was in a bad way. There was blue pellets everywhere. Belle was fine.

They were both rushed to the vets where Phoebe deteriorated quickly. Vomiting was induced and and she was sedated. Things didn't look good.

Friday night was one of the worst nights I have ever endured. I went and visited her in the morning. She was still alive but couldn't move but looked peaceful.

Phoebe died at 4.30pm on Saturday afternoon. I was absolutely guilt ridden and shattered. That beautiful girl tried so hard to wait for her Mum and Dad but she had just ingested too much poison.

I'm so glad I went and saw her, cuddled her and told her how much we all loved her.

Saturday night was awful. I had been looking forward to Sunday for weeks as that was when I was picking up Mum and Dad from their holiday. Now I had to tell them that Phoebe had died in my care and ruin everything for them.

The look on my parents face when I gave them the news will live with me forever. I broke their hearts and my guilt was overwhelming. They blame themselves but the what if's just keep coming. What if I had fed them at the regular time? I may have been able to save her.

It appears that the bait may have fallen from a very high shelf in the wind and Phoebe found it. We can punish ourselves wishing it had been put away in the shed but the bottom line is it wont bring her back.

Yesterday my parents had to go to the vet and say goodbye to their darling girl instead of showing us pictures and telling us stories of their adventures and I hate myself for taking that away from them.

Belle has been looking for Phoebe and lying on her bed crying. It is heartbreaking to hear. :)

My heart is broken.

Phoebe I'm sorry baby girl. I let you down and it hurts so much. Be at peace lovely lady. You fought so hard.

PC180031.jpg

PC180020.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many posters will tell you that this is not your fault Baifa.

Listen to them.

This is a dreadful accident that could have happened on any day whether your parents were home or not. Many dogs seem to find snail bait highly palatable.

RIP Phoebe. :)

Edited by poodlefan

Baifra I am so sorry for your loss :o

Please don't blame yourself. You were doing all you could to look after them. It was not your fault that you couldn't get to feed them at the normal time, sometimes life just doesn't work to a schedule. I know that this wont help the guilt though.

It was a horrible horrible accident that could have happened whether you were there at the normal time or not.

Hugs to you and your parents :)