How Do You Walk Your Dog?

luffy4688

When walking all 3 it's Frog and Chevy (the big 2) on my left and Stimpy the little one on my right, they walk in heel when I have all 3 on my own, then when we get to "possum park" they are allowed to sniff around the ground and trees to the ends of their leads, then when we leave the park it's straight back to heel as I just feel I have control over them that way.

If I am walking one big and one little they can walk anywhere as long as they aren't pulling and they generally stay on the side that is "their" side.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am walking one at a time, I don't mind where they walk so long as the leash is loose.

If I am walking both together I can't stand them changing sides so Leia is on my left and Archer is on my right. Both are usually a little out in front.

Bianca walks next to me on a relatively loose lead, but she likes to sneak up a bit to the end of her lead. She doesn't pull, but just goes to the end and stays there. I don't like it - I prefer she stay next to me, but she isn't a pest about it. I'll normally make her come back.

When I have to walk son's dog, I have both of them on the left. She's a bit of a puller (although MUCH better than when we got her), so I tend to have a bit of a handful. I don't like a dog on each side - I get a bit squashed in the middle!

Mine walk for their pleasure. If this means they drag me along striving to sniff something in front of them, or they walk off to the side, or they drag along behind, then so be it. That is what they do. :laugh:

It should be a pleasure for you to :rofl:

It is. I get pleasure out of seeing my dogs enjoying themselves. :rofl:

If it wasn't enjoyable for me too, I would do it differently. Duh.

Edited by ~Anne~

My two seem to pull me when I walk them together which I am trying to work on! Alone Jet can be a great to walk. I don't mind if his is in front or whatever as long as I am not getting pulled over. I usually bring him back beside me when other dogs are passing us if I can't avoid them. (I try to avoid them because Jet has a case of fear agression)

We live out of town so we walk the perimeter of our block which is 50 acres, if we take all three together they walk without a lead, so they can run and investigate, they are generally always behind us a little then run up a little in front wait till we get ahead then run past us again.

When we take just one i like to put that one on a lead and they will walk beside us, and they think they are special when we do this.

My 12 y.o. JRT female pulls on the lead when we first start out for our daily walks, if she doesn't settle down within about 5 minutes I will just stop and not walk until she comes and stands beside me, I don't say a word she knows I won't move until the lead is slack. We then start again, if she pulls I stop, must look strange to other people but it works for us, only have to do it about once every 6 - 8 weeks. She has not been good with others dogs after she was attacked by 2 huskies that were off leashes, I sometimes just find it easier to pick her up and walk past other dogs.

Our 4 y.o. JRT male is great with other dogs and is happy generally to just walk at my side or a little behind. I try not to walk them in the direction everyday and they do get off leash time most days.

I only have a little dog, and although she's still only a puppy she walks very nicely on my left side. She does pull occasionally when there is someone/something which she thinks is exciting. But yes, I have a little dog but I have expected her to walk nicely on lead since the day she arrived.

I know exactly what you mean, I see all different sized dogs walking their owners. There's big husky that lives around the corner, its the most amazing looking dog, but the woman literally gets dragged behind it every day. I often wonder who's walking who. :laugh:

Bianca walks next to me on a relatively loose lead, but she likes to sneak up a bit to the end of her lead. She doesn't pull, but just goes to the end and stays there. I don't like it - I prefer she stay next to me, but she isn't a pest about it. I'll normally make her come back.

Same here.

For the most part Honey comes back when she feels the lead pull but I hate it getting to that point. She is not a puller as such but I would prefer that she was always next to me and we are working on that.

Kids arent much help either- they will run ahead and thats where she wants to be, I love that she loves them so much so perhaps I am being a wee bit too lenient. :rofl:

At least she is receptive to training so we will get there. :laugh:

Mine walk anywhere they please as long as there is no pulling. However, my preference is to have them either on my side or in front of me so that I can see what they are doing at all times.

I usually get off the sidewalk into the grassy area if anyone is coming (with or without dog) and wait till they are gone.

I like to have Ramses by my side, he likes to forge a bit so we comprimise. As long as he doesnt pull and doesnt walk in front of me then thats ok. I always give him off leash time if I can on our walks and he loves that. If we go for bush walks I let him be in front especially on the narrow dirt tracks, I like to see where he is.

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

All my dogs have been trained for showing on a loose check chain (although they don't all always make the show ring).

For just walking I use a collar and lead, generally an extender lead, so they can investigate the good smells and visit a tree or two. Fortunately I've always lived in the country so they can have quite a good length of lead and run around. If they get too excited by bunny/roo scents I just have to say 'settle down'. I do get wrapped in leads sometimes lol. The minute I put the check chain on for the ring or walking through town they know it's time for gaiting properly on my left side.

My staffy/cairn terrier has always walked beside me, the Min Pin was a pain until she turned 6 or so, then she started walking calmly next to me. I don't tolerate pulling or walking in front because it is annoying and I prefer them to be beside me, especially when approaching another dog/person since the staffy is human aggro. I always give them 1/2 hour of offleash time before we do walking as it takes the edge off. They're super obedient and even offlead are usually at heel or they catch up quickly!

Onlead, all dogs are walked together. They are basically expected to walk on a loose lead and not to blunder into one another or me.

Occasionally I get lead macrame but most of the time they stay in the one spot.

Ted my senior Mini Poodle boy is a bit like a riding school pony - once you turn for home he wants to pull a little. As he weighs 6.5kg and is 12 years old and wears a harness, I let him. :laugh::rofl::laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

I am trying to make mine walk on my left beside me. Not working so well as he keeps getting under my damn feet lol.

If he had it his way he pulls at the end of the lead the whole way.

Once he is trained I would be happy have him walking anywhere as long as he isnt pulling or under my feet!

I would use to say behind me or beside me... Charlie still walks beside me or behind me, but that's because he walks slowly now and takes his time doing things.

I wouldn't actually call my walks with Emmy.. Walks. It's more of an adventure. You can never know what Miss Em would do or want to do.

I would like her to walk beside me without pulling and just enjoy simply walking beside me, but we are still working on it.