How Healthy Are They?

persephone

healthy?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Does/do your dog/dogs have skin problems?

• allergies
    • hormonal
    • yeast
    • bacterial
    • other
    • NO :)
  2. 2. does/do your dog/dogs have joint/bone issues?

• HD
    • OCD
    • osteosarcoma
    • dietary imbalance issues
    • fractures
    • weakness in bone density
    • panosteitis
    • connective tissue probs , like ligaments.
    • Other.
  3. 3. does/do your dog/dogs have digestion problems like..

• food intolerances
    • food allergies
    • pancreas problems
    • liver problems
    • motility problems
    • valve problems
    • vomiting problems
    • other

I haven't covered everything by any means - and no need to comment- it can be totally anonymous - just a snapshot of what folks have to deal with day-to day....just how much collective experience have we?? :laugh:

Edited by persephone

I answered no to all three questions for all 5 dogs. One of mine does have suspected epilepsy though but I wasn't sure where to put that.

Penny has an old injury from racing but otherwise, as far as I know my lot are really REALLY healthy.

Mine are aged Penny 11 1/2, Kibah 10 1/2, Feather 8, and Tag and Puck are 6

Edited by Kirislin

I haven't covered everything by any means - and no need to comment- it can be totally anonymous - just a snapshot of what folks have to deal with day-to day....just how much collective experience have we?? :laugh:

This is intersting. I answered for 4 border collies - 2 x 2 pedigree and 2 x pet shop.

One boy from a pet shop (amongst his myriad of other behavioural and health problems) had OCD so bad that our vets felt he would be due for 2 ops in the first 18 months of his life and then ongoing pain management. We gave him his wings.

Our little pet shop girl has some skin allergies, but we have them under control with diet and shampoo/soap choices.

The two from breeders have to date been fine. (must be said one is only 15 weeks old - LOL.)

the two males in the family are healthy - that is one golden retreiver from a registered breeder and one coolie who was a rescue dog from the pound

their little sister lets the team down to a degree :laugh: - she is also a golden retriever from a registered breeder. Her problems are allergies mainly to food but I'm really careful about what I feed her so can normally keep her allergies in check. Her symptoms are tummy rashes, itchiness, hot spots and bouts of vomiting :)

My 3yo rescue lab was recently diagnosed with hip dysplasia. No other problems other than a serious case of forgetting to put her brain in gear before doing something. No problems other than self induced injuries with my other labXGR.

I think one makes up for the other two

HD

ED

chemical allergies

food allergies

gets hives

hair falls out

collapsed hock

yeast in the ears

bacteria on the skin if he gets an allergic problem

apart from that he's fine. His attitudes a bit crooked too :laugh: just like the rest of him

Mokha (my pet shop dog) let us down on this one. I had to put down HD,OCD, food intolerances ,yeast infections and allergies. Molly (my shelter dog) is so far free from any health problems. Due to Mokha bad hips we had hers PennHipp scored for our own peace of mind when she was 2 and hers were spot on average for a lab. Way better than Mokhas.

Bronte has Skin Barrier Dysfunction which presents like allergies, but isn't. This will have to be treated for throughout her life.

She had (past tense) a growth plate fracture when she was six months, but its all better now, almost bionic.

Mind you, if anything is going round, or there is something to slip on or trip over - she will do it. She's known as Bronte the Bubble Dog, because she should live in a cotton wool padded oxygen tent. Overall she's very happy healthy dog though.