What Happens To Your Pets When You Die

vnv

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to make provisions for them in a will. 2 of mine go to their breed specific rescue if they are of a rehomeable age, otherwise PTS. The 3rd goes to a friend who is has the same ideas about breeding etc as I do.

My Lab and Dane will be PTS and cremated with me. My Poodle can be rehomed.

Being that my Lab and Dane are already old, unless something horrific happens to me in the next 12mths, I don't think it's an issue in the forseeable future.

Good question. I haven't got a will yet but my plans are as follows (I have told my OH)

If I am to die, then he is to keep both the dogs as if I were still around making decisions and they are to be cared for until they are old and decripid and I would make the decision to send them over the rainbow bridge.

If my OH and I both die, then our daughter will go to NZ to live with my mum if she is not an adult (we argue about this though as OH wants her to go to England to his mum) and the small dog particularly is to go with her (to provide some stability). Depending on the big dogs age and health (he is the older dog), I would like him to go with her also but I do understand mum already has her own large dog and my boy may not be a good idea around stock (they live in the country) and I would be happy for him to be rehomed after intensive screening. If he is already old and poorl then he will be PTS and be buried with me and my two other already deceased dogs.

If the kid is an adult, then the dogs will go to her.

I am not sure what would happen if mum was already dead or whatever...I guess depending on age they would come with me or go to someone who I knew would give them a home similar to ours (even if that meant shipping them to a freinds in NZ)

We have yet to do wills, really something we should do

Friends will take our animals and have promised to look after them for the rest of their days. Guess we should really solidify that as you never know

Mine will be put to sleep and come with me. I have this arrangement for years with my sister and she knows what to do. They will be cremated and then placed in with me and as I am going to be cremated we will have our ashes sprinkled together.

As a 21 year old it's honestly not something I have thought about, should I die tomorrow they would stay here with my parents anyway, but if something happened to all of us Holly and Ruby would go back to their breeders but I think Gracie and Poppy would end up in the pound, Poppy would likely be put to sleep as she's not the easiest dog and is DA. If my OH was alive I know he would make sure that didn't happen but should something happen to him too then no more Poppers. :love:

Might have a chat to Mum and Dad about this!

I've never actually thought about this at all, being only 20 (as of today!) but if something were to happen to me then I'm sure my family would continue to look after the dogs. But then again, you said if there was no family... I don't know.

Edited by haylz27

That's a good question, and I haven't thought about it. My parents would probably love to keep them, and they could keep the cats, but there is no way they could handle the dog. She would walk all over them, and although she would be very loved, she would be quite unsatisfied being a pet.

I don't want her PTS - she is young and healthy and vibrant and lovely, and I would love to think of her living on after me, if we could find her a proper working home.

I will discuss it with them tonight and tell them who to contact if something happens, in order rehome her to another working home.

Thanks for making me think about it. :o

Edited by Staranais

This is something we've been thinking about. If something happened to both of us I don't know what we would do. My parents probably wouldn't take on the dog, and frankly if something happened to us I don't know what they would do with their own animals who we care for for at least 6 months every year while my parents travel. My OH's family are all overseas, and frankly I wouldn't give them a dog anyway.

It's tough.

This is something we've been thinking about. If something happened to both of us I don't know what we would do. My parents probably wouldn't take on the dog, and frankly if something happened to us I don't know what they would do with their own animals who we care for for at least 6 months every year while my parents travel. My OH's family are all overseas, and frankly I wouldn't give them a dog anyway.

It's tough.

summa would go to my neighbour , jasper would be kept by my mum , and the horses well mum would take them on lol .

the cat would go to a freind and the rabbit i have asked mum to contact a rescue so he gets the right home .and if zoey comes back i would hope mum would keep her if not i would understand and she would go back to the breeder who looks after her dogs like family

Great question. :confused: Something I have thought about in the past but don't like to think about it too seriously as I am only 3 weeks shy of 24.

I know my family would want to hold onto Oscar because he is quite a big piece of me! Everyone in my family know Oscar is my heart and soul!

I think my older sister would take him and have her own quiet moments with him remembering me but she has 5 kids and they are just so run off their feet! I'd like to think my brother and sister in law would take him. They love their Golden Retriever Jeda just as much as I love Oscar. She gets fed nothing but the best food and gets nothing but the best vet care. Our two dogs share a very similar life.

Edited by Sunnyflower