Im Devasted

julzjc

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh god. I was minding Reg, a friends elderly golden retriever earlier this year an unbeknown to us he had eaten rat bait at her house before coming here. Its a terrible thing. Please brace yourself for whats coming. It almost defies description. I dont want to sound ghoulish but the blood loss in unbelievable, i would send your kids to relatives until the dogs have either died or recovered. Its a very traumatic thing to witness. My carpets, walls, lounge were covered in blood. Ive had to buy rugs to cover the bloodstained carpet. Ive never seen so much blood come from a living creature. After the bleeding finally stopped we nursed him for around a week, around the clock. But he was still bleeding internally and despite several blood transfusions he died.

I posted bout Reg as it was happening, many will prolly remember. I felt so helpless and so overwhelmed with sadness. He wasnt my dog but i loved him and often cared for him. I was devastated at the way he died. I am crying now jsut thinking about that terrible week.

Please dont blame yourself. Accidents happen in the best of homes.Understand too that your lives will be completly consumed by their bleeding once it starts. There will be no time for kids, work, sleep, anything. Myself and his owner barely slept in a week, she was unable to work as she couldnt leave him and she slept beside him on the floor and i would go around before and after work and care for him so she could get a few hrs sleep. The vet bill was over $1500 and we still lost him.

I dont think Reg was in pain, thugh he was uncomfortable and very weak. He couldnt walk after the first few days and had to be carried outside and held up to toilet.

I wish you strength for the coming week.

I remember reading your posts indigirl as you were going through this , it was heartbreaking.

Thank goodness I have never been through this myself and will be checking this thread constantly hoping for happy updates. I hope that the Vit K does its thing and you will be able to look back on this as a scary time but with a happy ending. :( for Bonnie and Indi :grouphug:

Edited by mokhahouse

That is absolutely heart breaking. Sending healing vibes your way... I hope everything turns out okay. As hard as it seems, try to stay positive. Someone close to me had a dog who ate rat poison and also had to be on Vitamin K. It took a while, but he did pull through. Hugs to you and your family. affection.gif

A little bit of hope...? My husband's sheep dogs got into the rat bait in the farm shed and they were given Vitamin K treatment and both survived so your babies might too. I'm hoping so.

Edited by puglvr

I'm not sure how much they ate? But we treat with vitamin K for 6-8 weeks and have never lost any dogs that get onto the treatment in time.

Dogs generally have 2 days of Vitamin K stores, so by rights you would have lost your dogs by now if you were going to. Did they take some blood and do an activated clotting time? Is there already evidence of blood loss in your dogs i.e. pale gums or bruising?

Unless it's some sort of new bait that I don't know about, if they are on the correct Vitamin K dosage they should be perfectly normal in 10 days but you need to keep treating for 6 weeks at least.

He said he will treat them for 6weeks. Its a slow release rat bait that takes 4-7days to work on a rat assuming they have eaten 4grams. The dogs ate between 20-40g. I am praying so hard that they do pull through this one. He said he didnt think the blood test would help as even if it came back negitive today, it may be positive tomorrow with the slow acting poision? He would treat both of them regardless with Vit K. I really hope your right and the Vit K stops this. praying your right. Indies gums are a bit pale and Bonnie eyes are pretty bloodshot but sure its from pulling on her collar at the vet. Indie, Im not sure, maybe his gums were always this pale? Not grey or white but nowhere near as rosie red as Bonnies. Bonnie has been eating grass all day long, she wanted out at 4.30am this morning just to go and eat grass and has been really quiet. Indie must have taken it down(not something Bonnie wouild do) but if she has seen him with it, she would have stood over him for it.

I just want to say thankyou so much to the DOL community. Im on my own tonight. My OHs 75yr old grandmother fell down a flight of concrete stairs today aswell and fractured her spine so OH is away to spend the night with his grandfather. Thankyou for giving me a (virtual) shoulder to cry on, its means alot. By no means is my mind at ease but all your positive stories have giving me so much more hope, thankyou so much everyone.

Julzjc

bump bump where are you is everything okay???? we are all thinking of you and wondering how it is today?

As others have said, you caught it early and I think your dogs will be ok. My Sibe got into a packet of ratbait when my OH and I were living with a relative (who cleaned up the chewed packet and didn't tell us about it... long story :)) . A week passed before we discovered her collapsed in the backyard one night. Rushed straight down to the emergency clinic, ACT test revealed that her blood was not clotting and her packed cell volume was 15%. She was treated immediately with blood and plasma transfusions, iv fluids, koagulon injection etc. She spent 1 day in intensive care, a further 2 days in hospital and then 6 weeks on Vitamin K tablets but she made a full recovery.

Hugs. Keep us updated.

I'm so sorry you are facing such an awful situation, I hope and pray that your furkids pull through and that your husbands Grandma is okay too. My thoughts and prayers to you all. Be strong for your babies you don't want them stressing about you being upset they need all their strength to beat the poison if possiable. Sending you cyber hugs.