Im Devasted

julzjc

i have been thinking of this and was wondering if there were any natural remedies that might assist.

i have done a bit of a search and found the following:

-activated charcol can help reduce the effects of poisoning

-maybe something to boost the liver function to process the poison more quickly

-maybe a general vitamin

before giving anything though maybe call the vet and see if there is anything else you can give the dog to help reduce the effects?

:)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been thinking of this and was wondering if there were any natural remedies that might assist.

-maybe a general vitamin

before giving anything though maybe call the vet and see if there is anything else you can give the dog to help reduce the effects?

:)

I would be very cautious about giving activated charcoal in this situation.It works by absorbing gases,chemicals etc in the gut.It can also absorb many nutients and medication so may absorb all the vitamin k being given.It can be a very usefull treatment for poisoning and other conditions,but as the poison would have been consumed many days ago I think its far too late for that and may do more harm than good.

Sorry to throw a damper on advise when you are so desperatly searching for an thing to help.

The time for charcoal would have been while the poison was still in the gut,not the blood stream.

My thoughts are with you and I also hope for the best out come. ;)

Edited by moosmum

oh god. I was minding Reg, a friends elderly golden retriever earlier this year an unbeknown to us he had eaten rat bait at her house before coming here. Its a terrible thing. Please brace yourself for whats coming. It almost defies description. I dont want to sound ghoulish but the blood loss in unbelievable, i would send your kids to relatives until the dogs have either died or recovered. Its a very traumatic thing to witness. My carpets, walls, lounge were covered in blood. Ive had to buy rugs to cover the bloodstained carpet. Ive never seen so much blood come from a living creature. After the bleeding finally stopped we nursed him for around a week, around the clock. But he was still bleeding internally and despite several blood transfusions he died.

I posted bout Reg as it was happening, many will prolly remember. I felt so helpless and so overwhelmed with sadness. He wasnt my dog but i loved him and often cared for him. I was devastated at the way he died. I am crying now jsut thinking about that terrible week.

Please dont blame yourself. Accidents happen in the best of homes.Understand too that your lives will be completly consumed by their bleeding once it starts. There will be no time for kids, work, sleep, anything. Myself and his owner barely slept in a week, she was unable to work as she couldnt leave him and she slept beside him on the floor and i would go around before and after work and care for him so she could get a few hrs sleep. The vet bill was over $1500 and we still lost him.

I dont think Reg was in pain, thugh he was uncomfortable and very weak. He couldnt walk after the first few days and had to be carried outside and held up to toilet.

I wish you strength for the coming week.

My thoughts are with you, how horrible. BUT it does sound as if you got it in time (Fingers crossed)

I didn't realise you could save a dog from poisoning, I honestly thought they were finished (as I didn't know about the treatment), but it's amazing to think with the right treatment , at the right time, you have every possiblity of having them both pull through. I'm sending heaps of positive vibes your way, you've done the right things at the right times so :grouphug:

It's going to be ok.

Thanks for posting it too, I wouldn't have know that there were options if I didn't read it.

Also get all the baits out of your house, it's not worth the risk. (Although I think you would have already!)

-maybe a general vitamin

:(

My thoughts too...what else can be done,Charcoal is used to absorb but within 2 hours & no later than 12 hours. I'm sure we have all had a cry over this thread,whilst there is life there is hope,36-48 hours appear to be the critical periods,so keep pulling for them.

That's it for me,back to horrible mouse traps.I've been afraid mine might try & eat the mouse after.

No more Rat Sack,not ever.....rather put up with mice than all this worry you are going through.....I'm sure many others have taken this same discision today.

So Julz you are not alone we are all with you

All that have read this will think & pray for your two all day long,tomorrow and the next week for how ever long it takes.

Please try & stay positive,they will feel your sadness & there are many positive out comes from others that have been in your shoes so be optimistic for each day....each hour at a time to get through this terrifying time. :grouphug:

A neighbours small dog had eaten half a packet of rat sack. Neighbour didn't realise that this would poison the dog, she came in one morning worried that the dog was bleeding from the rear end, the mouth and nose. We took it to the Vet. Vitamin K injection and tablets to continue with. The little fellow was very sick for a while but is now running around his usual self so there is every chance your guys will be ok. Think positive and sending them healing vibes.

Hugs for you, I'm hoping your dogs both pull through like the many others on here. :grouphug:

A timely reminder in a morbid kind of way NOT to have any rat bait or snail killer around. I don't understand the need for poisons, I think its cruel to poison rats/mice anyway.

I too have a survival story to share - with a 8week old Chihuahua.

I had her at work for an hour as I was leaving straight from work to go on Xmas holidays (wonderful boss here!) We had put baits in the roof cavities as we had a plague of mice & rats some time beforehand.

My Chi puppy was playing for ages underneath our photocopy cabinet and I can only assume that the rodents had dragged some bait under there because what happened over the next 48 hours was heartbreaking!

In the morning she was very quiet, but still ate some breakfast (just figured she was overexcited & tired from previous day's activities). Left her at home with other dogs to go to family lunch. Came home found her laying on cold laundry tiles - very lethargic & immediately called her breeder. Was told that it was possibly "sugar drop" (very plausible in small breed) and was advised on how to get her up and running again - which all worked perfectly!

Go to bed, wake up in morning to near lifeless puppy in her basket. Straight to car for 45min drive to the vet (bawling all the way!) Jan Spade (Miracle Worker) took one look at her, thought she was a goner, and proceeded to treat her with vitamin K and fluids.

Three days of home nursing, Vit K needles, heat pads, glucose and piles of gentle cuddles and we finally had a puppy that looked like she was going to pull through. When we went back to Jan, she told us that she really thought she would not make it as she was so tiny and there was no way of knowing how much poison she had eaten. I am forever indebted to that woman!

Six years on and this lovely Chi girl has given me two beautiful litters and is the absolute apple of my eye.

Please don't lose hope - she was tiny, her treatment was based on guesswork - you got to your furkids and your vet armed with all of the information and time that allows you the best chance of recovery!

Thoughts & prayers are with you!

Try not to panic. My mothers dog ate a whole heap of rat pellets once aswell. She took him to the vet, ect he was fine.

He said he will treat them for 6weeks. Its a slow release rat bait that takes 4-7days to work on a rat assuming they have eaten 4grams. The dogs ate between 20-40g.

And your dogs look to be between 25 - 30kg. What does your average rat weigh ? Probably 1/2 kg. Plus your dogs have had these injections.