Im Devasted

julzjc

Im gutted. I havent stopped crying all day. I have had an awful two weeks. Everything that can go wrong has, any peice of bad news you could give me Ive had, but today, today is the worst day. I cant belive Im writting this, i dont know what to write. Today I was told I may only have 10-14days left with my beloved dogs before they travel the raindow bridge and I am heartbroken.

After having a horrendous week last week I decided to take the kids(OH working) down the south coast to our van for 4days (no dogs allowed as it is in national park). I got home last night for my sons 2nd birthday. Today I went to let the rabbits out in the big run at the far end to our yard. I noticed a chewed up plastic thing in the grass, it was ment to be 2shelves up in the locked garage, my heart sank, I knew what was on the shelf next to where that object was ment to be....a plastic container with 2packets of rat bait(used for inside the ceiling).

I lost it, I started crying, I asked OH. He said he was in the garage working and he was sure he closed and locked the door properly on sunday but when he came home from work on Monday he caught both the dogs coming out of the garage. He checked the garage but could only see a chewed watering can and two bottles had been knocked over that were on the table. I looked, he was right, the garage looked as I had left it but when I checked the shelve, the bait was gone and things knocked over. We searched everywhere. I finally found a tiny piece of chewed up paper. They had eaten it,all of it. I took them to our vet but its too late. They have had Vitiamn K shots and have Vit K tablets to take every day. It will take 14days(10days now) before the symtoms appear and I know which one of my poor babies (or both) I will have to say goodbye to. I feel awful, I am so gutted. My OH is a wreck, he was so sure he locked the door and he thought nothing had been touched, he keeps blaming himself for it all. It was an accident, it was in a locked garage, almost 2metres up in a container, and they got it. I just dont know what to do. They are both cuddled up, sleeping peacfully in my lap, I cant stand the thought of what is about to happen to one or both of them. My beautiful loyal dogs. I am so sorry! Please forgive me for ever taken that horrid bait anywhere near our home. I am so sorry babies.

I am hoping by some miracle they both pull through,that the bait magically vanished or was shrewn around the yard, I know its not reality but I have to hope, I cant stand this. They are going to live the life of riley. They will be with me in my bed every night, I will be with them every day on the sofa, they will have so many treats and oh so many cuddles, my poor sweethearts, I am so very sorry my babies.

Edited by julzjc

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou so much everyone. My eyes are red raw from crying so much. Hating this. My vet was beautiful, he gave me a cudlle and his mobile number and told me to call him anytime, even if I just wanted someone to talk to, even at 2am in the morning, just to call. God, I am just devastated. Sorry if I dont reply much, cant stop crying.

Oh julzjc, how heartbreaking. I am so sorry :laugh: What a horrible wait you have.

Sending lots of hope and positive thoughts that they will both make it through just fine :thumbsup:

Whatever happens, you and your OH must not blame yourselves. You said it yourself, it was an accident. As sad as it is, tragic accidents do happen, despite our best intentions and the precautions we take.

Spend the next ten days loving your pups, don't waste it feeling guilty or too sad, try to enjoy the time with them, and I really hope that in a couple of weeks you are posting that they are both going strong.

I'm not sure how much they ate? But we treat with vitamin K for 6-8 weeks and have never lost any dogs that get onto the treatment in time.

Dogs generally have 2 days of Vitamin K stores, so by rights you would have lost your dogs by now if you were going to. Did they take some blood and do an activated clotting time? Is there already evidence of blood loss in your dogs i.e. pale gums or bruising?

Unless it's some sort of new bait that I don't know about, if they are on the correct Vitamin K dosage they should be perfectly normal in 10 days but you need to keep treating for 6 weeks at least.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller