Im Devasted

julzjc

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an accident and you did the right thing by taking them to the vet as soon as you realised. They are on the right treatment, they will most likely be fine now, stop beating yourself up about it.

Just keep up with the tablets, they will most likely have a blood test in a few weeks to test their clotting factors, but i think you will find it will not be the tragic end you are predicting.

julz, stay strong, read and take in what others have posted in this thread --- the success rate for survival is high!

be good to your two gorgeous dogs, but don't let them know how you are feeling; you must be strong for them :)

as a token of good faith and healing, i have 4 candles burning: one each for you and your OH and one each for indie and bonnie...

dscf8053.jpg

A few months ago my Cavalier ate a throw pack of 'One Shot' rat bait that blew into my yard in a storm. It was 2 days before I saw the empty pack. I'm not sure if he went to that side of the house on the day the packet blew into my yard. I took him to the vet as soon I saw the packet so it could have been 2 1/2 days since he ingested it. He had a ACT blood test that showed his clotting time was compromised. He had Vit K shots and was on tablets for 4 weeks. We did another ACT test after 4 weeks on Vit K tablets and his blood was clotting time was good. Just to be sure we did another test 2 weeks later and all was normal.

He did eat a fair amount of the rat poison. I used a stick to poke around in his poop and I could see there was plenty of green in there.

Don't give up hope. My dog ate enough rat bait to kill a dog 3 times his size and he survived without complications. The vet said not to walk him and to keep him as quiet as possible while he was on the Vit K tabs. No running, playing or jumping. Outside only on lead to toilet.

I'm so sorry. I know the stress you're going through but don't give up hope. Will those dogs to live...positive thoughts and strongly will them to live.

**thinking of you**

As it has been said already many dogs have survived with this kind of treatment. In fact, I have seen many dogs get very very sick, bleeding from their toe nails etc and still recover with this treatment (and blood transfusions to start with) The fact that you have discovered that they have eaten it and have them on Vit K already is a really positive thing. I'm not going to pray for a miracle because they SHOULD survive, it shouldn't be a miracle, it should be what happens, stay positive, get through this little babies ... and I will pray for that!!

I'd like to reinforce what has been already said here.

We feel for you and I am so sorry that you are going on this roller coaster.

You must be finding it easier said than done but your kids need as much positive energy around them now, you have no choice but to focus on the uplifting outcomes that the others have experienced. You have sought out the best treatment you can and it is obvious that you love your pups very much.

Hold on to the feeling that you have an army of DOLers sending healing vibes to you all and cheering you on!

Your message serves as a good reminder to us to appreciate our kids in a special way even more than we already do.

BEST wishes and GOOD luck!!!

Please keep us updated

There is still every chance...where there is life there is hope. They may have some risidual problems like needed gentle diets for quite some time etc. but don't ever give up.

My Skipperke ate snail bait (shared driveway with neighbour) and was deathly ill but she pulled through..there is always a chance.

At least you got them early. I had a dog poisoned by the slow acting one and didn't know ( we had no poisons here, some a hole dropped it on our property) until it was too late. I never want to see that again, absolutely horrendous for my poor dog.

we had a litter of feral kittens/cats, too old to be called kittens really moved in. i had rat bait out and nxt thing i know all the baits gone, shed full of green cat poops and two months on all the kittens are still heale and hearty, then to add insult to injury our daughters pony opened the door somehow and finished off the bucket of the stuff, stomped it and popped the lid off. panic stations, n the vet laughed???

she too is ok a year down the track but i so know how bad u feel

lucky ponies are soooo big compared to the target species

we had a litter of feral kittens/cats, too old to be called kittens really moved in. i had rat bait out and nxt thing i know all the baits gone, shed full of green cat poops and two months on all the kittens are still heale and hearty, then to add insult to injury our daughters pony opened the door somehow and finished off the bucket of the stuff, stomped it and popped the lid off. panic stations, n the vet laughed???

she too is ok a year down the track but i so know how bad u feel

lucky ponies are soooo big compared to the target species

Yes, it is all about body weight...I had a little dog eat the granule type horse all wormer that you mix in horse feeds. She ate it out of a feed bin in a yard that was for a horse that was extremely difficult to worm....another organophosphate poisoning...luckily we were there and saw her staggering around so got her to the vets immediately...she was still very sick though due to her small size but pulled through albeit with damaged vocal cords.