Not So Hypothetical Question

Henrietta

Which state are you in?

Contact Denise from PAWS if in NSW. She will always take back her dogs so if anything did happen to your Nan and a dog was left homeless you can be sure it will be looked after by PAWS. ANy reputable rescue group should be able to say that worst case scenario they will assist in rehoming the dog. I wouldn't rush to the pound, try to find a dog who has been in foster care already. Much better option for the elderly.

Edited by Clyde

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would definitely go for an older dog. Look at the energy needs of the older dog and what your Nan can do. There are some dogs that even at 10 are still pretty energetic. Also how steady Nan is on her feet. Check out the dog's health and whether it has any vision or hearing loss as well, a blind or deaf dog is less likely to move out of your Nan's path if they don't know she's moving and could be a factor in a fall. Sometimes smaller dogs are quicker to move away than larger dogs. As an example my OH's aunt fell over her GSD when she turned quickly and broke her hip. When she recovered she went back home with her dog but was much more careful about where the dog was when moving around. But check out the seniors I'm sure the right dog for your Nan will be there.

Another alternative is to find a breeder who will take back their own.

For example, I have an elderly lady who purchased a puppy from my November 2009 Stafford litter. She is not that much younger than your grandmother and already had two older Staffords but really wanted a puppy. Her daughter is not willing to take on any of her dogs when she dies.

She expressed this to me when she first contacted me and I said that not only would I take back the puppy that I bred, but that I will also take her two older dogs if they are still around if something happens to her. She has now written that into her will.

So it is a win-win all round IMO.

OT but...I was at the pound one day and there was a lovely older BC boy whose owner had passed on. He looked so sad and confused at the pound, you could tell he was a spoilt and much loved boy, his owner was middle aged and died unexpectedly, he apparently was sitting with his owner when she was found.

There are a lot of dogs that would love to live with an older owner as a constant companion, they are often good ears for their owners too.

My Nan is 95 and still going strong, she had a lovely mini smooth Dacshund, retired from a breeder, she was my Nan's constant companion, and always let Nan know when someone was at the door or the phone was ringing, she would race Nan to the phone:))

I dread the day that a breeder or family members think I'm too old for a dog, but I think puppies are too much for an elderly person.

It depends re the puppy. I have adopted a puppy to a man in his late 80's with no close family. I was very dubious and said no a number of times but after he told me all about the plans he had made if he was no longer able to look after her I felt I had to at least meet him. He is fitter than me and had all the time in the world to train a puppy. To this day nearly 10yrs later he still goes out biking and walking every day and offers a wonderful home. I am back up for his girl but I don't like my chances, think he might outlive me.

What I don't want to happen however is for someone to take his dog out of a sense of duty which often happens, I would rather she came home

we've adopted a few greyhounds to folks in their eighties - just as matter of getting the right one!

I was also going to suggest a grey from GAP or GSN.

They're large enough dogs that won't get under your Nans feet too.

:rofl:

In the course of his work, man at the back had to call at a house. Elderly lady opened the door, with a big mature-aged greyhound beside her. Her family had arranged the adoption, a couple years back, with the condition they arranged any vet visits & the grey's baths etc.

Our neighbour who loves & owns greyhounds himself, said the two of them were very happy together. The grey's mature-aged couch potato personality meant it was a great life being a companion housedog.

Haven't the time to read all the posts. Just wanted to tell a little story.

Very elderly man, mid 80's. His wife had died several years ago and 'her' poodle had just died of old age. All of their married life she had one poodle after another, all the while he was longing for a different type of dog. Now that the last poodle was gone, he was ready to get his breed.

I talked him into a middle aged dog from rescue. However not one rescue organization would allow him to adopt due to his age. He was devasted, really hurt his feelings.

I got really mad about what had happened to him, found a rescue group I knew and they found him a quite middle aged female, med sized, walked well on leash, house trained, likely to play ball and was a lovely dog. He out lived this dog by many years!

Point is, we have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Live for today and let your Nan do the same.

I allowed an elderly woman to adopt my Cookie (for those who followed my rescues, you'll remember Cookie had terribly deformed legs and a smashed leg and hip). I know that (we'll call her Dot) Dot is very elderly and that her time may be limited. Her daughter was a part of the adoption process and we spoke about what would happen if Dot became too frail or if Cookie's medical needs became a burden. I offered to take Cookie back at any point in time regardless of why, as you normally do with a rescue anyway.

To this day, Dot and I regularly correspond in the beautiful old fashioned way of letter writing. I hope that she enjoys good health for a while to come but I also know that probability is against her (she is in her 80's.)

I would never hesitate to allow an elderly person to adopt the right dog. I would, as I have here, put in the extra effort to maintain contact and reassure them that I will always be there to help and take the dog back if the worse happens. Dot loves Cookie and Patch, her other dog, and her life is so much richer for having her two dogs in it. Cookie's life is also enriched for having such a beautiful woman love her for however long it lasts.

Edited by ~Anne~

Everyone, thank you, thank you, thank you! For your suggestions and stories, I really appreciate them all.

We live in Bundaberg, Queensland, so unfortunately some of the rescues mentioned will probably be out of the question (keeping in mind the potential stress that transport would bring). I will have to look closer to home I think (a car trip away perhaps), but I will be doing some research and finding the right rescue/breeder and the right dog for Nan.

I agree with a medium dog too. I know I have to be careful with my little one when I visit. Due to where we live, I don't think my Nan would be suitable as a foster carer and I also don't think she'd want to let a foster dog go (this is just my honest assumption). But again, I appreciate the ideas!

I understand how she feels and I too would be very sad to not ever have a dog again. I certainly didn't wish to deprive her (I don't think I could've anyway, she is truly her own women).

I wish I could guarantee a home in the event of Nan's passing and perhaps I could, but it would be irresponsible for me to commit and as a family we need that extra back-up.

Edit, I think a greyhound could be ideal too...

Edited by Emm

I think the elderly need that companionship, and often a pet is one of the best things to give them that sense of companionship in their life. I am very happy to rehome older dogs to senior people and have one in the pipeline at the moment. The hardest thing is finding the right dogs to fit the bill - toilet trained, easy on lead, don't jump up (and scratch their thin skin), aren't snappy, etc.

One lady we recently rehomed a puppy for (very loving family member bought her a poodle x pup who was way too much), wanted another dog but in the end got a beautiful cat. This suited her down to the ground as it is a perfect companion and she doesn't have the worries with having to walk it, it is easy to pick up if needed but is just as ready to jump onto her lap for a cuddle.

So dependent upon the person, their age, and wants - either might suit.

The hardest things is that usually a senior person has experienced some sort of loss. This makes them want a younger dog so that they won't lose it too soon - big mistake but sometimes it is hard to talk people around.

I think that you were very sensible to have concern for the dog and its future. By working through a rescue group, you can check to see if they will take back dogs that they have rehomed - great safety net for an older person. Hey anyways, who knows what tomorrow may bring for any of us!

Raelene

Edited by Raelene

We have a few elderly clients with adopted aged greyhounds, they absolutely adore their companions and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. It's so beautiful to see the happiness animals bring to elderly peoples lives (and all other ages too).

oh bo

hope Nan gets a lovely dog

my Dad swore that the only reason he got out of bed some days was because the animals needed him

otherwise riddled with arthritis it wouldve been easier to just slip away

use it or lose it

it is so true

so Nan needs a dog to get the most joy out of life

the future will look after itself...make the arrangements for the care of the dog...you have plenty of time to look for backup care so if anything happens to Nan...the dog will have a home

Guest belgian.blue

Looking forward to hearing about the dog search for your Nan.

Such a nice thing do help her with and a new family member will add years of happiness :)

We have a few elderly clients with adopted aged greyhounds,

The resident therapy pet for elderly retired nuns at a Brisbane convent, was a mature-aged greyhound. He was greatly loved & his size meant he could get pats & cuddles from people in chairs & beds.

They were Josephite nuns & its their founder, Mary MacKillop, who'll be declared a catholic saint next week. She loved dogs & in her last years her pet was an Australian Terrier called Bobs. Here's Bobs at her feet after she'd had a stroke.... with a doggy smile that'd light up anyone's day.

http://www.ssjgoulburn.org.au/heritage/default.aspx?id=121

I wouldn't rush to the pound, try to find a dog who has been in foster care already. Much better option for the elderly.
Agree with this.
I am back up for his girl but I don't like my chances, think he might outlive me.
:cheer::laugh:
I allowed an elderly woman to adopt my Cookie
:D Wondered what had happened.
Looking forward to hearing about the dog search for your Nan.
Yes, we definitely demand updates :laugh::laugh: