Not So Hypothetical Question

Henrietta

Hi DOLers,

My nan recently lost her dog. :laugh: It's been a tough time for her. She is now saying she wants another dog.

She is 88 and not in prime health. I would have to exercise and train the dog (I would be happy to do this).

This sounds terrible, but my gut says it isn't fair for my nan to get another dog, at her age and condition, because neither of our families can guarantee our ability to take on another dog when she passes. :laugh: I feel this is unfair to the dog in question.

When I move out, I have a reactive dog which may or may not accept another dog. My parents don't really want another dog after their current one goes to the bridge, at least not for some time.

I also feel desperately sad for my nan. The best I can offer is to go visiting with my dogs, she has always liked that. :laugh:

What's your opinion on this?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think getting a puppy that you know you will probably outlive is a little selfish.

But I think you could get an elderly dog for her, from a breeder or a rescue. Old person + old dog sounds like a good match to me. Older dogs often find it hard to get homes, since most people want a young dog or a puppy. And a good breeder or rescue may be happy to take the dog back in future if needed, if you explain the situation - that the dog will have a brilliant life, but that your nan may pass away before the dog does. :laugh:

At 88 I would make it work. Get an older dog that is going to fit into your family and let her love it while she can. I know I would be terribly sad if i was not able to share my life with a dog.

As a breeder I have several out with older people that I am going to take back if they can no longer have them. I do restrict it to two but as long as they are physically capable of having the dog I think they should be able too.

At 88 I would make it work. Get an older dog that is going to fit into your family and let her love it while she can. I know I would be terribly sad if i was not able to share my life with a dog.

As a breeder I have several out with older people that I am going to take back if they can no longer have them. I do restrict it to two but as long as they are physically capable of having the dog I think they should be able too.

:laugh: Yep :laugh:

eta:

Cowanbree - love what you do, happy situation for all, oldies have loving companion and when the time comes they can no longer care for the dog, family not put out and the dog is returned. This is what I would be interested doing with one of mine.

Edited by Andisa

Ok, this is perhaps looking possible. Perhaps I was being selfish. :laugh: I will certainly talk to my nan about an elderly dog. Well, I might do a little research first and present it to her.
You weren't being selfish; you were trying to look at it sensibly. And sensibly, you came to ask on the right place.
I'm sure there are plenty of little older dogs out there looking for a knee on which to sit, and someone to drop then biscuit crumbs! :laugh:
Very true.

However, don't go for a small dog - go for medium, medium/large. Little dogs get under people's feet and so can be quite dangerous. The dog has to be seen - LOL.

Little dogs get under people's feet and so can be quite dangerous. The dog has to be seen - LOL.

admittedly - but they are also a lot easier to handle in some respects and have not the weight behind them if there is a collision of sorts.

Basically - get whichever dog suits the circumstance :laugh:

:laugh: I wasn't thinking chi or pom or silky or JRT..... my 'small' is probably your medium !

Edited by persephone

Another vote for the seniors website :laugh:

I too would hate to think one day i would be without a dog, they give you purpose too.

Older dogs are much easier, i prefer them!

Going to push the greyhound angle too :laugh:

Little dogs get under people's feet and so can be quite dangerous. The dog has to be seen - LOL.

admittedly - but they are also a lot easier to handle in some respects and have not the weight behind them if there is a collision of sorts.

Basically - get whichever dog suits the circumstance :laugh:

:laugh: I wasn't thinking chi or pom or silky or JRT..... my 'small' is probably your medium !

At 88, I can't imagine Nan will be doing too much lifting - LOL. A larger dog can get onto the couch by him/herself and if necessary, Emm can make a little ramp.

By medium, I mean about Cocker Spaniel size :laugh: . I am well aware of how the size of a dog is in the eye of beholder - LOL.

It's just about making a very careful match. If a dog is in foster care, the foster carers will know its habits and needs and whether or not it gets under the feet etc. I'd say what would give your nan most pleasure is having a companion to sit next to her on the couch rather than completely on her lap - that's something to think about as well.

I have a set of stairs for the old dogs to get onto the sofa.

Someone does probably need to help with keeping the dog clean and free from fleas etc on a monthly basis, many elderly people can't do all of that.

I have rehomed to people of this age but they did have family back up, however I will also take a dog back should anything occur and noone can have the elderly person's dog in the family.

I should also say that I would never rehome a young dog to this situation - not fair on either party.

The question to ask is if your nan is capable of permanently caring for a toddler? I suspect the answer would def be "no" so a puppy/young dog is completely unsuitable, you need to match energy levels for it to work.

There are some difficult situations - last week I was approached by some very elderly people known to a friend, asking for a young dog. I explained the above and apparently the husband is dying, they just lost an elderly dog and will not consider an old dog in case something happens. I understand why but it would be very hard for a young dog with people on walking sticks really. A slightly mature chihuahua could be a possibility I guess.

Edited by dogmad

My Mum is 82 and says she wants another dog when her eldery pug passes. I have told she is not to go to the local shelter and get one. I will find her one, an older dog, via here. If she went to the shelter she would end up with a young 'un.