Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

arjay I am using Royal Canin, all dogs are doing very well on it. All have improved coats, no itchy dogs like before and the muscle definition has improved. I am very happy with the results, in fact I have had to cut some of them them back on volume as they are starting to get a bit heavy :thumbsup: :)

I second RC for building muscle and maintaining muscle.

Another here who no longer uses Black Hawk, it was good when we started, but it isn't any more IMHO. We kept getting bags of different consistency / colour size and shape. We also had dogs lose muscle and definition, who also lost weight. We also had poor coats and itchy skin as well as other things. Having to feed more to keep the weight on. Talking with my supplier she too had the same complaints from other customers.........now on onother brand and our dogs and pups haven't looked back!

That's the same reason why we stopped feeding it too. When we first started feeding BH a few years ago, it was home delivered and came in a plain package with a stick on label. It was great! i needed to feed half the amount that i used to with what we were feeding previously. Once it changed to a more commercial packaging the quality (in MY opinion) changed. We started to see colored pieces in the food, and the condition of my girl's coat changed- her once nice thick hair became straggly.

I have since changed foods and her coat is starting to thicken again.

arjay I am using Royal Canin, all dogs are doing very well on it. All have improved coats, no itchy dogs like before and the muscle definition has improved. I am very happy with the results, in fact I have had to cut some of them them back on volume as they are starting to get a bit heavy :thumbsup: :)

which formula?

It's been very interesting reading the last few pages here.

I raise litters on BH and Raw and have been pleased with results.

I did notice my 3 year old bitch lost muscle on BH so put her back onto her usual and she almost immediately improved.

I would like to use a 100% Grain Free kibble...... what do most recommend for grain free???

which formula?

Medium Adult or the 4800, depends on your dog but I've found both of those to be excellent with the Staffords and the Whippets

I did notice my 3 year old bitch lost muscle on BH so put her back onto her usual and she almost immediately improved.

I would like to use a 100% Grain Free kibble...... what do most recommend for grain free???

I've had good results on Canidae. I've got a little Italian Greyhound who came as a rescue and had very little coat and condition, he always looks great on it, he's grown coat and keeps the weight on. I've just raised a litter on the ALS chicken formula and the Whippet babies look super and their mother has bounced back very well.

The new osopure grain free varieties from artemis are getting terrific feedback. Might be worth a try.

I am another who has all but stopped feeding it :(

Used to love it, dogs looked amazing but then coat started going harsh and dry, they all started itching. Changed to a raw food diet and they have all bounced back.

Also noticed the change when I bought a bag that was in the new packaging and that it had different sized/coloured kibble. Bit disappointing.

I haven't noticed changes and have been feeding BH for a while now and also feed it in the kennels.

I got it when the packaging was the plain white bag and now in the new packaging. There was one batch where there were some odd bikkies in there but I haven't seen that happen for quite some time and I go through quite a few bags

The dogs all have great coats, great muscle tone and are fit and full of life. Horses for courses I guess. The cats eat the cat food and the two I got fairly recently as adults have improved heaps from when I got them

My dogs did really well on BH when i first switched them from Artemis. The reason I switched was I suspected allergies from chicken for one of my dog. He went onto BH and scratching seems to be a lot less. He has been on BH since the times with the plain white plastic bags.

But recently his scratching all over again, worst then when he was on Artemis. I didn't think of this to be food related until I read in a another thread that there has been other dogs in the same situation with BH. Just wondering whether the ingredients have changed?

And for those in the same situation, what dog food did you end up switching to?

Edited by giraffez

My dogs did really well on BH when i first switched them from Artemis. The reason I switched was I suspected allergies from chicken for one of my dog. He went onto BH and scratching seems to be a lot less. He has been on BH since the times with the plain white plastic bags.

But recently his scratching all over again, worst then when he was on Artemis. I didn't think of this to be food related until I read in a another thread that there has been other dogs in the same situation with BH. Just wondering whether the ingredients have changed?

And for those in the same situation, what dog food did you end up switching ?

Every dog is different so what works for one may not work for another. It is trail & error till you find what works the best for them.

For me, I swapped both of mine to TOTW, Earthborn holistic & am going to try the new Artmesis grain free. I have upped the amount of raw, so am only feeding around 30 to 40% grain free dry food. Both my guys appearance & over general health has improved tonnes but it takes quite some time.

We have been feeding BH for over two year with no skin related issues, both the Lamb and Chicken formula. We have 5 here currently and have weaned two litters onto BH again with no skin related issues.

I do have one 12 month old bitch who was a little rangy so I doubled her daily allowance and she has now filled out nicely.

what suits one, does not necessarily suit another --- no need to defame or discourage another from at least trialing a product that may very well work for their dog.

i'd used BH for a number of years without issue and in fact, my two mixed breed swfs [and cat] always ate their quota without fuss and all looked and acted in a way you would expect from being fed a healthy diet.

lately tho i became interested in VIP's 'grain free' [via woolies] and decided to try it out with my 3 pets and i'm happy with those results also; i've decided to continue feeding VIP.

VIP grain free has no wheat or corn, but it does contain beet pulp [which i think some peeps believed causes 'staining'] and fwiw, there appears to be no less staining on BH than appears to be since changing to VIP...

eta: i edit to add that i feed my animals a raw diet, supplemented with dry

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

• 3 weeks later...