Pepper, My Teddy Bear Girl

Her Majesty Dogmad

I've just lost my beloved Pepper, the sweetest dog I've ever met. I first saw Pepper in Wyong Pound in October 2008, she was very neglected and a bit frightened. She was rescued by Doggie Rescue and I fostered her. It was obvious that apart from the physical neglect of her magnificent coat that she'd suffered a life without much love. She was 10 and unusually, was microchipped (as a Keeshond cross) and desexed.

She proved to be no trouble but it was upsetting to see the way she walked - right next to my leg, eyes wide, too scared to move. It was a huge breakthrough when she finally stopped for a wee, a few weeks after she first arrived. We celebrated her first poo on a walk as well. She was making progress.

She'd been with me 3 months and come a long way when she had her first appointment. My mother was staying with me at the time, from England, and had fallen in love with Pepper. So much so that she adopted her with the intention of returning to live in Sydney and taking her back. I loved Pepper but thought that she could do better than me. Mum had fallen in love with Pepper's extremely sweet nature and her habit of patting you on the lower leg with her paw when she wanted more pats.

And so Pepper stayed. She's been in good health for two years, only needing a dental this year and some lumps cut off. She was 12 yrs old. I had hoped she'd be with me for many more years but 2 weeks ago she started some strange behaviour, sitting and facing the wall a lot. I put it down to the beginnings of dementia as I have some experience with other dogs that was similar. Then this week, Pepper started having breathing difficulties and going off her food. The vet thought it may be lymphoma or a brain tumour.

Last night was a bad night, Pepper couldn't lie down for more than a few seconds at a time and so we went to the vet this morning.

Faced with the prospect of losing her, I have been devastated to realise how privileged I have been to have such an angel in my home, I type through buckets of tears that won't stop coming.

I'm sorry Pepper, for I loved you so very much, I hope you know that. :thumbsup:

post-4751-1292459529_thumb.jpg

Oh dogmad, I'm so sorry for your loss :p . Pepper looked like a totally delightful little girl. She was so lucky to have had such a well loved and caring couple of years with you.

So hard to let them go.

Thinking of you and sending you a warm hug.

RIP Pepper :laugh: