Donkey, The Goat Of Mass Destruction

casowner

Ever since I was young I always wanted an anglo nubian goat with their big roman nose and long floppy ears, they just looked like a big lovable clown. Nearly 4 years ago my dream came true after being on a waiting list for a year I brought home the most adorable little 2 day old baby. Ben loved the movie Shrek and had always wanted a donkey and as we didn't have one back them he looked at the little overload of cuteness and immediately named him Donkey.

From day one he would come to work with me dressed in a different dog coat everyday and walked on his harness, he was best friends with Jake and even though they had "teething" problems when they were juveniles they adored each other. Donkey left a trail of destruction and vet bills wherever he went, nothing could contain him and while he was so loving he had an appetite for destruction. In the last couple of years he has managed to break his leg (on a Public Holiday at night, get wedged in the fork of a tree causing massive nerve and spinal damage and had broken into a house and eaten rat bait, then a week later broke into another area and got more. He was destined for a short life, I knew it but he obviously didn't.

10 days ago I found him extremely ill, he had obviously eaten something he shouldn't and for the last 10 days I have been syringe feeding him 6-10 times a day willing him to live. He tried to stay with us but his body was too badly affected from all of his other injuries and it just couldn't fight anymore. I begged him to give me a sign that he had had enough and he cried and rested his head on my lap and I knew I had to stop fighting for him. Making that decision is going to haunt me even though I know it was the right one to make.

My son Ben loved Donkey with all of his little heart, he has been heartbroken since we found him sick and I haven't the strength to tell him what I have done. He is still mourning the loss of Jake and there is another tragedy that I found this morning that I can not bear to accept let alone explain. My animals envelop my soul, each one makes my life better and I try so hard to give them everything they need and all of the love that they can hold so losing them just tears al little part of me away with them.

So Donkey my friend, please find Jake and tell him I love him and I will find some comfort knowing that you are both together. Please don't eat the bridge as other gentle souls will need it to cross over to the other side. You will leave a legacy of ring barked trees, damaged fences and loving memories. Goodbye my friend, there will never be another to replace you. Seriously mate THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER GOAT HERE EVER :laugh:

post-23033-1296342634_thumb.jpg

post-23033-1296342559_thumb.jpg

Cas, I am so sorry.

He is a gorgeous boy and you have so many fond (and not so fond!) memories of him. It sounds like he had a fabulous and adventurous life.

I know he is going to leave a big hole in your lives.

:bottom:

Edited by Lady of the Ghans

Oh :laugh: I am crying for you ......and because I know how they are....That nuisance ,gorgeous boy :laugh:

:bottom:

Go & annoy everyone over the bridge, Donkey..have fun !

I too lost my favourite years ago... we didn't know she ate a whole loaf of bread ...and was dead next morning.

:bottom: I'm so sad for you and your family Casaowner, I both loved and despaired with my goats.

I hope you can deao with the other tragedy you mentioned too :laugh:

Animals, they bring us so much joy, hard work & smiles, but lots of tears too :laugh:

hugs from here.

fifi xxx

Hi Casowner

I loved reading about naughty Donkey - he made us all laugh and smile with his antics. :laugh:

I am so very sorry that you have lost him, he has now joined Jake at the bridge. Such a hard decision for you, but I am sure it was the right one.

RIP Gorgeous Donkey :bottom:

Cas I am so sorry :laugh:

Donkey you stuffed more adventures into a short time than needed doing. Find Jake and annoy the cr*p out of him okay :laugh: It will keep him busy. :bottom:

Oh Cas you have been having a terrible time of it lately. It must seem like too much to bare, but once an animal lover, always an animal lover. I've had 2 nubians over the years, both raised from babies - Ba-Ha and George. Oh they were both so naughty but I loved them to pieces for their personalities, good looks and soft fur! Both had their fair share of serious scrapes so I know how you feel. Some of my favourite pictures of George involved him wearing a newspaper he had eaten or dragging a pot plant down the stairs for a secret snack. My most cringeworthy story is about how he got into a garbage bin full of alcoholic punch that my housemates had left on the back verandah to ferment. George did a fart and blew diareha (sp?) across the entire length of the back verandah. I was scrubbing for hours.

So Donkey, say hi to George and Ba-Ha for me but don't join up and form a demolition gang or anything because we still need that Rainbow Bridge!

So sad to hear about Donkey, he got himself into so much trouble. Goats are like that but so lovable.

You've had to cope with so much of late, hugs to you. I can't imagine what else you are having to go through as you've had more than your fair share of loss but am sending you healing thoughts and wishing you strength to manage.