What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a conversation with a breeder friend. Midway through her chatter I didn't know if she was talking about one of her dogs, one of her children or her grandchildren. :rainbowbridge: She gives all her dog's people names and I was totally confuzzled!

That's when I decided to avoid regular people given names. Make it simpler for people who can't remember all the names of the people in my life or all my dogs. :cry:

But I decided to give the bitches in my last Lowchen litter "goat herder" names - Gretchen and Heidi. I kept Heidi, and very shortly met a woman named Heidi and see her often. Very confusing!

Funnily most people think Gretchen is called Gretel...

I love naming dogs "different" names and own - BumBum, Crumpet, Pash, Hoff, Tribbles :cry:

This thread is hilarious! We named our JRT Buddy and then I met a friend whose son was named Buddy -- very awkward, especially when she was around and my kids would turn up and say "We've got Buddy chained up outside" or "Buddy licked the milk up off the floor" or "can we give Buddy a bath?". The look of horror on my poor friends' face. eek

Some of our pet names:

Beautiful -- male rabbit

Princess -- male rabbit

Cadbury - chocolate male rabbit

Cuddles -- female white cat

Smokey - grey budgie

Bluey - blue budgie

Monty - guinea pig

Charlie & Honey -- Weiros

Jazzy -- cat (he knows his name and sits on command)

Slinky -- male cat

Trixie - GSD x

Lizzy - SWF

No idea what to call our next little boy pup -- every name the kids and I like, DH doesn't like. I've asked my 3 & 4 year old niece and nephew to think of names for him, too as kids seem to find great names -- Charlie was suggested and it is still a possibility altho we have Charlie the bird still.

There are a lot of great names here on DOL. I love Quinn and Mason just to name two. James is a gorgeous looking dog and his name seems to suit him, too.

Working in the animal industry I meet a lot of dogs with typical names (Molly, Oscar, Ruby, Lilly, Monty etc) so I like hearing dog names that are a bit unusual! It's weird hearing that a dog has my name tho (boring common girl's name).

Current dog is Tucker, previous dog was Bambi. Sound average and normal but I've never met a dog with either of those names. My next pup's name pending is Sonic (cos he's going to be a speedy agility dog!)

I go to town on the other animals tho - my mice are named Alberto and Niffler, my axolotl is Mr. Wooper and my fish are Lord Bobbington, Wolfgang Amadeus and Fish Finger.

Some doggie names I've heard are most excellent but I would feel a bit odd calling them out in a park! Chewbacca, Hannibal, Gucci Gucci Ya-Ya, Tikaani (I saw this one mentioned before, LOVE IT!), Sprinkles, Pikachu etc.

My first pet was a goldfish named Goldie. I had no imagination as a child.

My critters have lovely names - Heeni, Tua (Maori names) Lara, Mia Croftie & Dixie - they also have 'other names' depending on what they have done or shouldnt have done are are currently doing! Heeni = scrappy-doo, Tua = lights-out, Lara = tomboy girl, Mia = mumma mia, Croftie = Dickie Dock & Dixie = Bats Arse! :)

They dont seem to get confussed and they certainly know who we are talking to! :)

they also have 'other names' depending on what they have done or shouldnt have done are are currently doing!

Isnt it funny - my dogs all have several nicknames depending on what they're doing as well. If they're being reprimanded they get their correct name. All other times they get a nickname.

I think I have figured out why I don't like human names for dogs, I have a fairly unique name - I never met anyone with my name until I was 20 - now it's a bit more common. I never had to share my name with anyone so I guess the easiest way for my animals to not have to share names is by giving them other names.

My parents used predominately human names for our pets when we were children, dogs were Ben & Annie, horses Heidi, Penny & Barney, but then there were also the other names Pinnacle, Dusty, Sooty, Checka.

The pets I have named (dogs) Brutus, ICE, Froggy, Stimpy, Cockatoos - Hoshi & Jep, rabbit Jahli, chicken Florence (probably the most human name I have chosen).

I don't have an issue with anyone calling their dog a human name, it's just not my preference.

I prefer human names for dogs ..... I take it a step further and have developed a process for naming my dogs - it must be a 3 sylable formal name, a shortened version that has a "y" sound at the end and a shortened sharper sounding name - eg Mortimer, Morty, Mort & Archibald, Archie, Arch ... some may say I'm odd (and I'm likely to agree) because I like the 3 name options ... but I enjoy taking the time to find the right name for my boys and both have been named before we even met them and when we did meet them the names were confirmed cause they both really fit their names - and I have a list of names for the future that I like as well

My OH named Mort though and initially I wasn't convinced about it - I wanted Montgommery but he was right, Morty is definitely a Morty ...... Archie is a far more common name than Morty - only met 1 other Morty so far and he was a beautiful Rottie .... and another DOL member has a Mort as well (but he's a Chi)... they both have variations on their name we use - Morty the Monsta and Archie NugNug - so they get Monsta and Nug sometimes too ...

My axolotals were Antony, Cleopatra and Caesar and Lunar .... the goldfish was Goldie (I was 6) .... and my cat is Talin named after an elf in a book I read as a child - Talin is also known as SpezImo-the-monkey-cat (I have no idea where that came from).....

Those people at the vets were rude .. not worth wasting your time worry about them

Edited by FionaC

Ah, just call your dog what ever wanna call 'em. They're your pet after all.

Kuma means Bear in Japanese - Akita's are of Japanese origin. It fits him - and there are many Akitas called Kuma. Steve or Fluffy didn't fit.

We've had many weird names during our pet ownership.

Nigel the Cat - he belonged to our neighbours and managed to move in with us. So he was Nigel No Friends

Tranq the Cat - he was one of those crazy cats that would be a mile a minute down the hall and fall asleep halfway like he'd been hit with a tranq dart.

Big Man Fred - dunno, my sister named him. He always had the full name, never Fred.

um... oh gold fish called Harry, Barry, Gary and Larry. They were replaced with Wayne, Dwayne and Bruce.

Dad's yellow Lab was called Reginald D'wight Le Blonde the Third. Or Reg for short. He was the runt of the litter and therefore commonly known as Reg the Reject.

There's the names you give them....& the variations they finish up with.

Our Annie gets called AbbaFace. She was born in Sweden.

Timothy the cat got called Timmyboots. He had white feet.

Then there's the 'no name' you give a stray animal you don't want to keep.

We found a young cat who kept living in our front garden, so frightened he stayed up in a tree.

We used to feed him so he wouldn't starve. But we weren't going to keep him. No giving him a name!

When we called him down for dinner, we'd say, 'C'mon, little bird!' Funny, eh!

Not really, he stayed, became a big, fat family pet whose name was Little Bird.

Visiting tradesmen used to say, 'Lady, that cat's not little & he's not a bird!'

We found a young cat who kept living in our front garden, so frightened he stayed up in a tree.

We used to feed him so he wouldn't starve. But we weren't going to keep him. No giving him a name!

Visiting tradesmen used to say, 'Lady, that cat's not little & he's not a bird!'

:o:(:rofl: ;) :eek: :D :D

Charlie is known as Chucky... this came about when he was doing his Canine Good Citizen and there was 2 other Charlie. It got confusing, so I started to call him Chucky or Chuck.

Emmy gets call Em or Ditz.

:o:(:rofl: ;) :eek: :D :D

:D :(:o:( :D :) ;)